Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part L

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I feel like everyone here is consciously trying not to discuss this, myself included.
I brought it up before this season and everyone got mad at me. But I've also been pretty negative about some contracts quite a bit the past few weeks and I'm trying not to harp on things and bog everything down

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hell, Chytil might blossom into what we thought he might be when we saw him 2 years ago. Likely? Maybe not. But still possible.

Or who knows, perhaps Buffalo blows again next year and Eichel demands a trade.

We'll have a shit load of open space and a loaded system to get a trade done. Run with Zib/Eichel for a year and then let Zib walk.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Or who knows, perhaps Buffalo blows again next year and Eichel demands a trade.

We'll have a shit load of open space and a loaded system to get a trade done. Run with Zib/Eichel for a year and then let Zib walk.

Which is why, I think we agree, this topic is one of the more pointless ones for at least another season and a half.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I would kill to get Eichel on this team.

But Zibanejad has a good thing going here and he seems to fit this team like a glove, can't see any scenario we don't re-sign him to be honest. I'm also confident he clocks in at a pretty reasonable price

Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You've got to try to bridge Tony for 2 years, he won't accept 3 but a decent raise likely means 2 years. This gives management the flexibility to see if he can repeat his scoring, if so then he's massively valuable in a hockey trade. If Lundqvist makes him expendable then oh well. Personally I'll take a two-way puck mover on an ELC than a 60 point D man who just isn't great in his own zone. Especially with Fox and Trouba already here, both of whom can play the pp. We'll see next year if Fox brakes 50 points, I think he will and we also know Trouba is capable 40+ while playing big pk minutes as well. But we have a season or two to watch the righty D spots play out.

Regarding left D, I would try to plug a hole there now with an under radar pickup like a Haydn Fleury. Someone who will be cost-effective, gives the lefty prospects time to develop in the minors and who still has some boom potential. He's a young vet already and come 2021-22 when Smith and Staal are off the books, can handle top4 duty without forcing someone like Miller or Hajek into minutes they shouldn't handle.

I'd just be super careful and not move any of the top prospects, and not give out long term contracts to players you see a possibly replaceable within 2-3 years. This team is not 1 or 2 moves away from competing, so let young players gain the experience. Let the really young guys develop overseas or in junior. Continue to capitalize on value of older players who need contracts, be it Fast, Strome or Ada.
Sure. But i think Carolina likes him a lot. Can anyone verify that? I don’t think he’s an easy get.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think you are really kidding yourself if you think Zibanejad is not going to be looking for a huge deal. The only scenario I see that occurring is if his next two years are bad/full of injuries.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Mostly agree. Fleury's not likely to be readily available though. He took some steps for Carolina last year that they wanted to see. He's big and he's young.

To me Mika should be our next big and long term contract. This three years of flat cap which might last even longer than that could turn into an issue down the road if we're not careful about handing out huge contracts to everybody. Really I think Kreider gets moved if the Rangers knew what was coming with this pandemic. I'm pretty damn sure as well that the Rangers will want to lock up Lafreniere as soon as possible and then when you think of others like Kakko, Shesterkin and Fox I think we can see how that could spiral out of control really easily.
Yep. I’m non capologist but I can’t see any way they can add even one more big contract. Maybe a very short term one would be ok but in a few years they’ll be carrying Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Igor, Lafreniere, Trouba, Fox, hopefully Mika and ADA. That’s already a stretch and will probably require a bunch of juggling. I don’t see any room for Georgiev, Buch, Strome getting their UFA deals with the Rangers, let alone any other big names.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I would kill to get Eichel on this team.

But Zibanejad has a good thing going here and he seems to fit this team like a glove, can't see any scenario we don't re-sign him to be honest. I'm also confident he clocks in at a pretty reasonable price

If he continues his play he will be north of 9 mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad