Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This conversation is getting a little off-topic, can we go back to discussing the pros and cons of signing DeAngelo to a long term contract? I'll start with the cons:

@GoAwayStaal, @EdJovanovski , @Igor Shestyorkin

This is a terrible a attempt to expose a players faults. This is like watching fake news. People, especially here on HF are savvy enough to make their own decisions on a player. That video posted could be made for any player on the current roster exposing giveaways, or bad decisions including Panarin, Zibanejad, Hank, and Kreider.

The reality of the situation is #77 was given opportunity and excelled at the role he was brought in to do.

Tony D came to NY in a controversial trade 3 years ago.
He was labeled a promising offensive dman, with wheels but came with some baggage, as he had a reputation as a wild child.
He certainly fit a need. Get younger, get faster, add RHD who can QB a PP.

Fast forward to the now. This kid did earned the position by his play here in NY. Not what he did elsewhere. Kevin Shattenkirk, Keith Yandle, Dan Boyle...the list goes on. All these guys were brought here to be "the guy". None of them did what they were brought here to do. None of the other players here that were given the chance to grow internally over the last say, decade or so were able to do it either. The Del Zotto's, Skjei's, McDonagh's. He was the first NYR defenseman to post a 50 point season in 19 years. The last time that happened Ron Low was head coach, and Mark Messier was the captain.

I also love that he has some spunk to his game. Stands up for himself and his teammates. Can't coach that into somebody. Either they have that competitiveness, that fire or they don't. Tony D's got it.

The cap crunch will be real here. That really should be the only issue with keeping him. Not some bullshit video created to expose him likely cause it's creator doesn't like him.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
A few things somewhat related have stood out to me. A classic example is after we say have played Boston and our 1st line has been destroyed by their 1st line. Someone checks the stats and see that Staal’s CF% is bad and everything is ‘Staal’s fault’. He killed Trouba or whatever. Destroyed for everyone.

But while watching the entire game, you would have a really hard (impossible) time to put anything of it on Staal. I am on European time and saw one game against Boston on rerun after reading through a GDT were Staal absolutely was destroyed, I posted about it, can go back and check if you want. It couldn’t have been more obvious how that top unit struggled because Marchant-Bergeron-Pasta took away all their ice, Ziba and co didn’t get anywhere. When we got into the attacking zone we immediately lost the puck. We gave up several odd-man rushes. On so many shifts, Staal isn’t even close to any of the “shift-defining” plays.
I want Staal off the team so bad just so the knee jerk, incessant, biased ramblings to pin everything wrong on one player can end. The tireless efforts to find something wrong with anything one player does can shift to the next scapegoat.

I'm sorry if this upsets some of you. But when you call someone a cyclops after suffering an unfortunate injury, you have major issues. You're pretty terrible human beings if you can watch Berard and Staal suffer their worst moments in life and casually mock the guy later for it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Deal 1. Chytil, Buch and Nils Lundkvist to Calgary for Johnny Hockey

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ola and NYRFANMANI

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
ADA isn't the greatest defensemen but he was a plus 12 this past year. Now most of this was because he put up 53 points. Career high--my biggest question is can he or will he come close to these numbers again.

ADA can run the PP is an attacking defenseman when the Rangers are behind--sometimes a headache. I don't believe signing him is an issue but if you can trade him to get stronger in one or two spots you have to think long and hard.

Lindholm/Hanifin for ADA/Buch would fill those holes. You could even add Georgiev to the deal if Calgary sent back someone like Mangiapane or a pick.

Lindholm can move back to center and Hanifin as a partner for Trouba.

Protection wise 2 spots for 2 spots not an issue--3 Dman would be Trouba/Hanifin/Lindgren.

Strome may need to be moved--but this is the type of deal that fills multiple holes and is a little less of a gut punch when trading a player like ADA.

CK--Zibs--KK
Breadman--Lindholm ( if you keep Strome )--Lindholm/Goat
Laf--Chytil--Mangiapane/Goat
Lemmy--Mangiapane/Howden--Fast ( if Strome goes )

Hanifin/Trouba
Lindgren/Fox
Hajek-Staal/Smith

Anyway the only way I would be trading ADA is to make the team stronger Glass/Krebs/Lindholm/ Multiple player deal--otherwise we sign him and roll at least one more year with Staal and Smith, and see who might be available when the money comes off the books.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This is a terrible a attempt to expose a players faults. This is like watching fake news. People, especially here on HF are savvy enough to make their own decisions on a player. That video posted could be made for any player on the current roster exposing giveaways, or bad decisions including Panarin, Zibanejad, Hank, and Kreider.

The reality of the situation is #77 was given opportunity and excelled at the role he was brought in to do.

He was labeled a promising offensive dman, with wheels but came with some baggage, as he had a reputation as a wild child.

Fast forward to the now. This kid did earned the position by his play here in NY. Not what he did elsewhere. Kevin Shattenkirk, Keith Yandle, Dan Boyle...the list goes on. All these guys were brought here to be "the guy". None of them did what they were brought here to do. None of the other players here that were given the chance to grow internally over the last say, decade or so were able to do it either. The Del Zotto's, Skjei's, McDonagh's. He was the first NYR defenseman to post a 50 point season in 19 years. The last time that happened Ron Low was head coach, and Mark Messier was the captain.

I also love that he has some spunk to his game. Stands up for himself and his teammates. Can't coach that into somebody. Either they have that competitiveness, that fire or they don't. Tony D's got it.

The cap crunch will be real here. That really should be the only issue with keeping him. Not some bullshit video created to expose him likely cause it's creator doesn't like him.

Deangelo can't hold a candle to Mcdonagh as a defenseman and congrats you explained exactly why some want to move him, you cant afford to have 3 guys on your right side with the salaries Trouba, Deangelo and Fox will have and then attempt to fill holes on the rest of the team, especially when you have the best rhd outside of the nhl in your system. The maple leafs are a perfect example of putting too much cap space in one area.

Reactions: and 99 others

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
No way I do that. We need guys with size who can play two way physical hockey. On the bottom 6.
Gadreau is small and soft. Very skilled player. No doubt. But I rather have guys who can play playoff style hockey.
I hate to say this but Brad Marchand types. Mean skilled tough. Leave the dirty part out.
If you watch him play he’s involved every shift.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
ADA isn't the greatest defensemen but he was a plus 12 this past year. Now most of this was because he put up 53 points. Career high--my biggest question is can he or will he come close to these numbers again.

ADA can run the PP is an attacking defenseman when the Rangers are behind--sometimes a headache. I don't believe signing him is an issue but if you can trade him to get stronger in one or two spots you have to think long and hard.

Lindholm/Hanifin for ADA/Buch would fill those holes. You could even add Georgiev to the deal if Calgary sent back someone like Mangiapane or a pick.

Lindholm can move back to center and Hanifin as a partner for Trouba.

Protection wise 2 spots for 2 spots not an issue--3 Dman would be Trouba/Hanifin/Lindgren.

Strome may need to be moved--but this is the type of deal that fills multiple holes and is a little less of a gut punch when trading a player like ADA.

CK--Zibs--KK
Breadman--Lindholm ( if you keep Strome )--Lindholm/Goat
Laf--Chytil--Mangiapane/Goat
Lemmy--Mangiapane/Howden--Fast ( if Strome goes )

Hanifin/Trouba
Lindgren/Fox
Hajek-Staal/Smith

Anyway the only way I would be trading ADA is to make the team stronger Glass/Krebs/Lindholm/ Multiple player deal--otherwise we sign him and roll at least one more year with Staal and Smith, and see who might be available when the money comes off the books.

Ya thats the point....trade from a position of strength to fix an area of weakness.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

RIP @1 Other Person

Reactions: Kupo and Lion Hound

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I want Staal off the team so bad just so the knee jerk, incessant, biased ramblings to pin everything wrong on one player can end. The tireless efforts to find something wrong with anything one player does can shift to the next scapegoat.

I'm sorry if this upsets some of you. But when you call someone a cyclops after suffering an unfortunate injury, you have major issues. You're pretty terrible human beings if you can watch Berard and Staal suffer their worst moments in life and casually mock the guy later for it.

Howden is already a lock to take over.

Literally NO one has pinned everything that is wrong with this team. He is a huge part of the problem though, even if you think all the hatred thrown his way is overblown, that doesn't change what he is and how we are worse by playing him.

I've never called him cyclops, but I also think he needs to stop being treated as a martyr because of what happened. It was an unfortunate accident but he had the option to wear a visor and chose against it.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Howden is already a lock to take over.

Literally NO one has pinned everything that is wrong with this team. He is a huge part of the problem though, even if you think all the hatred thrown his way is overblown, that doesn't change what he is and how we are worse by playing him.

I've never called him cyclops, but I also think he needs to stop being treated as a martyr because of what happened. It was an unfortunate accident but he had the option to wear a visor and chose against it.
I have a great deal of respect for Staal and still hold him in high regard for the professional way he has represented the franchise, and the fact that he has always given it his all.

That said, he is absolutely terrible. Nights where he is "surprisingly average" are few and far between. Not only is he one of the worst regular defenseman in the NHL, proving to be a huge liability with his play, the fact that he is so bad has a massively negative impact on his partner. Take someone who is average, and they will post bad numbers playing next to him. He is an enormous anchor on whatever pairing he is on.

Again, I like Marc Staal and appreciate his dedication to the franchise, the leadership he has provided, and his 110%-effort mentality. But f***ing hell is he a terrible player at this point.

Reactions: Kupo

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Well said.

Unfortunately, we have other scapegoats already warming up in the bullpen.

Reactions: White Death 24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad