Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part L

Status
Not open for further replies.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
There is a lot of name calling and finger pointing going on here in this thread as it relates to Tony DeAngelo. The only way to settle it is for everyone to post their EliteProspects profile pages so we can once and for all determine whose opinion is more valid.

Here I'll start:
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 12.54.20 PM.png

I also think it would help if somebody made a Youtube video containing very small snippets of DeAngelo's game and posted it here for all of us to watch

Last edited:

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Keep pushing that narrative, thats all you got. Ive said here many times Deangelo is great offensively and wouldn't mind him back short term.

I won't put words in your mouth but it seems we both have similar opinions of DeAngelo. While we both realize DeAngelo is great offensively, somehow we're biased because we would prefer the Rangers try to use DeAngelo to upgrade the centers and/or LD instead of signing him to a long term/large contract. He's so clearly the odd-man out for the future of this defensive core.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I won't put words in your mouth but it seems we both have similar opinions of DeAngelo. While we both realize DeAngelo is great offensively, somehow we're biased because we would prefer the Rangers try to use DeAngelo to upgrade the centers and/or LD instead of signing him to a long term/large contract. He's so clearly the odd-man out for the future of this defensive core.

Thats my opinion too, i do believe they will sign him short term but he will be traded before that contract is up. There is no hurry imo, let our expiring contacts end and then make some moves when you find out more about our young players and what we need then.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Acciari, albeit won't score 20 again, plays the game 100mph and forechecks extremely well, something this club lacked during the qualifiers, and it was evident. Howden, to me, isn't the fleetest of foot and lacks the ability to forecheck consistently, in my opinion.

I like this train of thought. The NHL isn't a fantasy team. You need semi skilled players in the bottom 6 who facilitate randomness on ice. Who the hell here honestly knew who Martinook was before the Carolina series, yet, he single handedly was a quantitative force for them that we didn't have an answer for.

Reactions: Anthony5967

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
not all of those guys will play here and they can work their way around expansion.

getting a LD who is several years into their career makes a shit load more sense than relying on guys with no nhl experience to step in an eat significant minutes right away.
I think @Roo Returns is referring to Top Four big name types. Just my impression. I think everyone would agree getting an inexpensive veteran defensive defenseman is somewhere between reasonable and imperative.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
You've got to try to bridge Tony for 2 years, he won't accept 3 but a decent raise likely means 2 years. This gives management the flexibility to see if he can repeat his scoring, if so then he's massively valuable in a hockey trade. If Lundqvist makes him expendable then oh well. Personally I'll take a two-way puck mover on an ELC than a 60 point D man who just isn't great in his own zone. Especially with Fox and Trouba already here, both of whom can play the pp. We'll see next year if Fox brakes 50 points, I think he will and we also know Trouba is capable 40+ while playing big pk minutes as well. But we have a season or two to watch the righty D spots play out.

Regarding left D, I would try to plug a hole there now with an under radar pickup like a Haydn Fleury. Someone who will be cost-effective, gives the lefty prospects time to develop in the minors and who still has some boom potential. He's a young vet already and come 2021-22 when Smith and Staal are off the books, can handle top4 duty without forcing someone like Miller or Hajek into minutes they shouldn't handle.

I'd just be super careful and not move any of the top prospects, and not give out long term contracts to players you see a possibly replaceable within 2-3 years. This team is not 1 or 2 moves away from competing, so let young players gain the experience. Let the really young guys develop overseas or in junior. Continue to capitalize on value of older players who need contracts, be it Fast, Strome or Ada.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
What kind of package would it take to get Hedman out of Tampa and into our line up?

2020 1st Canes
2021 1st NYR?
Tony deAngelo
Vitali Kravtsov
What else?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You've got to try to bridge Tony for 2 years, he won't accept 3 but a decent raise likely means 2 years. This gives management the flexibility to see if he can repeat his scoring, if so then he's massively valuable in a hockey trade. If Lundqvist makes him expendable then oh well. Personally I'll take a two-way puck mover on an ELC than a 60 point D man who just isn't great in his own zone. Especially with Fox and Trouba already here, both of whom can play the pp. We'll see next year if Fox brakes 50 points, I think he will and we also know Trouba is capable 40+ while playing big pk minutes as well. But we have a season or two to watch the righty D spots play out.

Regarding left D, I would try to plug a hole there now with an under radar pickup like a Haydn Fleury. Someone who will be cost-effective, gives the lefty prospects time to develop in the minors and who still has some boom potential. He's a young vet already and come 2021-22 when Smith and Staal are off the books, can handle top4 duty without forcing someone like Miller or Hajek into minutes they shouldn't handle.

I'd just be super careful and not move any of the top prospects, and not give out long term contracts to players you see a possibly replaceable within 2-3 years. This team is not 1 or 2 moves away from competing, so let young players gain the experience. Let the really young guys develop overseas or in junior. Continue to capitalize on value of older players who need contracts, be it Fast, Strome or Ada.

Mostly agree. Fleury's not likely to be readily available though. He took some steps for Carolina last year that they wanted to see. He's big and he's young.

To me Mika should be our next big and long term contract. This three years of flat cap which might last even longer than that could turn into an issue down the road if we're not careful about handing out huge contracts to everybody. Really I think Kreider gets moved if the Rangers knew what was coming with this pandemic. I'm pretty damn sure as well that the Rangers will want to lock up Lafreniere as soon as possible and then when you think of others like Kakko, Shesterkin and Fox I think we can see how that could spiral out of control really easily.

Reactions: egelband

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Mostly agree. Fleury's not likely to be readily available though. He took some steps for Carolina last year that they wanted to see. He's big and he's young.

To me Mika should be our next big and long term contract. This three years of flat cap which might last even longer than that could turn into an issue down the road if we're not careful about handing out huge contracts to everybody. Really I think Kreider gets moved if the Rangers knew what was coming with this pandemic. I'm pretty damn sure as well that the Rangers will want to lock up Lafreniere as soon as possible and then when you think of others like Kakko, Shesterkin and Fox I think we can see how that could spiral out of control really easily.
Signing Zibanejad long-term is a risk and one I think the Rangers might be better off avoiding.

Reactions: Tawnos

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

I've mentioned Fleury mostly as wishful thinking, he's the right age to target as a potential long term piece for us, but not totally unrealistic with Carolina already having Slavin, Skjei and Gardner signed long term on the left side. They also have Jake Bean in the system. So they might be interested in getting something for him rather than potentially losing him to Seattle. I'm not sure what I'd give up for him though. But we have to wait out the big three cap anchors in Hank, Smith, Staal, and Shattenkirk's buyout hit. It's massively important to keep the flexibility for the young rfa's we'll have in the next 2-3-4 years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Robertson is a good prospect but he's still 2 seasons away at the bare minimum.

Reaunanen- I don't see a path to the NHL for him. Too many glaring holes in his game.

Miller is still a big ???

Zac Jones still has probably 2-3 years to develop left too.

Lots of good prospects, but none are close in my opinion.

This. IMHO preaching patience with LD is not warranted. Miller, the closest one and with highest upside is still very raw and probably 1.5 seasons at minimum removed from taking a regular role, and 2 more years to get closer to fulfilling the upside. The others (Robertson and Jones) are at least a year more away.

Lindgren, while capable, is still a proper 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman on a contender. So filing up one roster spot either as a 1st or 2nd pair D externally should be fully warranted, the question is who’s available, how much in assets would it cost to obtain and how much cap space would be taken by the contract.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This. IMHO preaching patience with LD is not warranted. Miller, the closest one and with highest upside is still very raw and probably 1.5 seasons at minimum removed from taking a regular role, and 2 more years to get closer to fulfilling the upside. The others (Robertson and Jones) are at least a year more away.

Lindgren, while capable, is still a proper 2nd or 3rd pair defenseman on a contender. So filing up one roster spot either as a 1st or 2nd pair D externally should be fully warranted, the question is who’s available, how much in assets would it cost to obtain and how much cap space would be taken by the contract.

Agreed. Need a high level LD to bring this defense around. We saw how bad it was even with an okay 2nd pairing level guy in Skjei this season.

Get that first pairing guy, move Smith to pairing 3, and hope to replace Smith with either Hajek or Rykov next season, unless one of the younger guys makes leaps and bounds.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
when I say that I mean if he can’t get a 7 or 8 year deal at an agreed upon number

Agree with this.

The way ADA progressed this year I don’t think he will be willing to sign 6-8 year deal now for a low enough number the Rangers would be willing to offer. So whether it’s 2+1 or 3 year-contract this year, ADA is getting to UFA at 27. I’d be very surprised if it’s not the case and if he’s not traded.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gorton’s job isn’t entirely easy this off season. A lot of log-jams on the roster. Not really any room for the kids. In all certainty, a feel that the team must take a step in the right direction.

There are few moves in this league to start with. They almost never happen when a team first have to get rid of someone, then get someone.

Huh? Rather haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad