Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part L

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why does Lindholm return more than McDonagh? Next years season will be shorter than normal. I’m not sure I see these Lundqvist + Miller + 1st offers for a guy like him. Hajek/Reunanen + Howden/Henriksson + CAR 1st. Howden and Hajek were not Tampa’s best assets at the time of that deal. McDonagh was traded at the deadline prior to his last season on his deal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Werenski And McAvoy signed 3 year deals with the third year being the highest value to up their qualifying offers.

Tony’s gonna do the same thing if he can’t get term

Can’t get term? I am concerned that he won’t sign a long contract. If he signs a long contract Gorton can trade him anywhere for a good return. TDA has insane stats and arbitrarion rights. He can cruise to UFA and go anywhere he wants for top dollars.

We don’t have any leverage with TDA. The last contract he signed was the last we had any leverage negotiating.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Can’t get term? I am concerned that he won’t sign a long contract. If he signs a long contract Gorton can trade him anywhere for a good return. TDA has insane stats and arbitrarion rights. He can cruise to UFA and go anywhere he wants for top dollars.

when I say that I mean if he can’t get a 7 or 8 year deal at an agreed upon number

Reactions: kovazub94 and Ola

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Robertson is a good prospect but he's still 2 seasons away at the bare minimum.

Reaunanen- I don't see a path to the NHL for him. Too many glaring holes in his game.

Miller is still a big ???

Zac Jones still has probably 2-3 years to develop left too.

Lots of good prospects, but none are close in my opinion.

Which is why bringing a top 4 LD in now isn’t nuts. x , Lindgren , Staal , Hajek...Miller call up this year . Might be stuck w Smith still too

Then next yr, x, Lindgren, Miller w Robertson and Jones in the A

I’m not counting on Hajek or Reunanen it’s a bonus If one turns out

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'd check in with FLA and see if Acciari can be had. I know he shot 19% last year, but he hits like a lunatic, is in his prime, plays every shift hard, etc. He also won 48% of his draws last year. He'd make a solid 3C or 4C. Also on a sweet $1.67M per deal for another couple years. Would send back Howden. FLA gets a young piece for their future.
I'm no fan of Howden, but that would be a horrible trade.

48% on faceoffs isn't at all great, either.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Islanders paid thru the nose for that 4th line. They have to play them. Will be a problem very soon.

it’s not the norm
Yeah. Such a weird approach. I know they’re doing well now but i don’t like it. But maybe it’s due to their circumstances.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I have no interest in Todd Rierden. He took over a Stanley Cup championship team and wasn’t able to win a playoff series.

Did you see the Capitals defense this year? They looked like a turnstile.

On top of everything else, Rierden looks pretty sullen on the bench. I’d rather someone with some energy and enthusiasm.

I’d still love them to take a look at Scott Stevens.

Did you see the Caps defense their Stanley Cup year? I guess not.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We have cap issues. Something will have to give. I've said it before, but I could see Strome signing his 3.2 mil QO.

Yeah, I don’t mind giving him a short deal. You risk that he will walk but I don’t think there is much of a market for him anyway with his contract situation.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I imagine Tony’s agent will ask for either a 3 year deal, or a two year so they can do a high salary QO for the third year to go right into UFA

This guy wants to get paid, he’s not been shy about it

If it goes to arbitration as I expect it will it will be a one or two year deal depending on which side takes the other to arbitration. Now they might work something other out while in arbitration for a longer term but if the deal ends up arbitrated it's one or two.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I'm no fan of Howden, but that would be a horrible trade.

48% on faceoffs isn't at all great, either.
Acciari, albeit won't score 20 again, plays the game 100mph and forechecks extremely well, something this club lacked during the qualifiers, and it was evident. Howden, to me, isn't the fleetest of foot and lacks the ability to forecheck consistently, in my opinion.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Acciari, albeit won't score 20 again, plays the game 100mph and forechecks extremely well, something this club lacked during the qualifiers, and it was evident. Howden, to me, isn't the fleetest of foot and lacks the ability to forecheck consistently, in my opinion.

Howden should probably be moved to wing. Most teams are relying a lot on smart centers nowadays. We have even seen a return of the vet checking C with size. Those guys, Sutter and co, have learned to read the game pretty well by now.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton’s job isn’t entirely easy this off season. A lot of log-jams on the roster. Not really any room for the kids. In all certainty, a feel that the team must take a step in the right direction.

There are few moves in this league to start with. They almost never happen when a team first have to get rid of someone, then get someone.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Howden should probably be moved to wing. Most teams are relying a lot on smart centers nowadays. We have even seen a return of the vet checking C with size. Those guys, Sutter and co, have learned to read the game pretty well by now.
My problem is this, though, we have enough wings. Does he have enough skill and speed to play wing over a Lemieux, Gauthier, Kravtsov, etc? I'd move Howden.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
That would be a great trade. Acciari is actually a good defensive center.
I don't disagree with your evaluation but you can find these guys in UFA if you're smart and target the right player. There's no need to give up a decent asset when you can usually acquire a similar player in UFA for nothing but cap space.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Interesting, may be first time reading suggestion NYR go 4/4 in '21 Exp drft
... assuming roster similar to today.
So at F, you'd protect?
Bread, Zib, Chytil, Kreider?

So at F, expose Buch, Howden, Gauth, Lemieux, (Strome), (Fast), Lias, (Gettinger) ?
I am perfectly fine with Chytil and Buchnevich fighting over the last spot this season. I’d honestly rather keep Buchnevich at this point.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Again... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Not an argument

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't disagree with your evaluation but you can find these guys in UFA if you're smart and target the right player. There's no need to give up a decent asset when you can usually acquire a similar player in UFA for nothing but cap space.

I don't consider Howden a decent asset and Acciari is already signed to a good deal for two more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad