Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXII: Stepping up in a Perfect Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Eichel for spare parts only!

Howden,Robertson,Kravtsov, Nils and a 1st is as far as I'd go. No current worthy roster players. If they are ok with packages around prospects and picks only, fine. Maybe Buch

Ya, I think it's more productive to think in terms of template. 1st, prospect, roster player and another 1-2 pieces that add that up something like 1st+Lemieux or Lundkvist+Howden

The reality is, there is no precedence for trading away a huge glut of high 1st round picks, high value prospects, high value roster players plus more and I don't think Gorton is going to be the one to swing and set that precedence after all these years of accumulating talent. Buffalo is in a tough position and there's no real need to blow it up for Eichel. Current trajectory with our ability to lure FAs is not the end of the world.

Reactions: MetalJaws

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I would hope for Zibby to bounce back and offer them Zibby and take out Nils since ELC's are so valuable right now. Although I think Zibby could decline a trade to Buffalo.

Yea, I just don't see a roster player going. I see prospects and picks and definitely this summer. When out cap clears up a bit. I'm sure strome could go, maybe Buch but...I don't think it's worth it

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Sabres don't want Zibby because he's not resigning for a small market team that's basically beginning another rebuild. If you want to trade Zibby for Eichel, you move him to a contender for picks and prospects and put some of that stuff in the Buffalo return. Or if you can get Newhook or another center for Zibanejad, it makes it easier to move Chytil.

I think the last big three-way trade in the NHL was Heatley to the Sharks? But this wouldn't technically have to be a three-way trade.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
It doesn't matter. If Stützle was playing on this team, he'd have 1 goal and 0 assists. We didn't draft the wrong player, we simply created the wrong environment.

Beat me to it, but yeah pretty much this. Not sure i'd say it's the wrong environment, but the circumstances are night and day

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Sabres don't want Zibby because he's not resigning for a small market team that's basically beginning another rebuild. If you want to trade Zibby for Eichel, you move him to a contender for picks and prospects and put some of that stuff in the Buffalo return. Or if you can get Newhook or another center for Zibanejad, it makes it easier to move Chytil.

I think the last big three-way trade in the NHL was Heatley to the Sharks? But this wouldn't technically have to be a three-way trade.

duchene deal was 3 way. Buf can always flip zib in the off season for that same 1st+prospect+??? package.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Ya, I think it's more productive to think in terms of template. 1st, prospect, roster player and another 1-2 pieces that add that up something like 1st+Lemieux or Lundkvist+Howden

If the Sabres are in a tight spot this summer or deadline, sure GMJG will try to take advantage. I just hate losing Chytil. They'll ask for him. Likely Turcott from LA. They'll see who can do what. Strome and Buch would be my go to roster players moved if it happened in season with other prospects and picks.

Reactions: Tob

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

That's fine. Just saying that if you want Eichel on this team without giving up a Kakko or Lafreniere (two guys that will hopefully his their ceiling or close to) we are gonna need some cap money to free up even if the cap goes up a bit. Someone with some money is gonna have to go back. I doubt they want a Buch or Trouba or Kreider.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
The next Hall?

He has that type of cursed feel to him. I do feel bad for him. Maybe a change in scenery and not so much pressure from NYR and management might help. I know the Pegulas definitely are in the way a lot. It could be there fault for all of Buffalos woes. If we get em, hopefully there's truth to that.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Calgary lost 5-1 to Ottawa. When are they going to blow that up? They need some serious retooling or even a rebuild.

Get me Lindholm :naughty:

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Anyone not on this roster I'd trade for Eichel. So something around Georgiev, Strome, Howden, Nils, Robertson and a 1st would do it for me.

2021-2022 Rangers Roster. Yes I'm bored.

Panarin - Eichel - Kakko
Laf - Zib - Buch
Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov
Lemmy - FA - PDG

Miller - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
FA - FA

Shesty
FA

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Anyone not on this roster I'd trade for Eichel. So something around Georgiev, Strome, Howden, Nils, Robertson and a 1st would do it for me.

2021-2022 Rangers Roster. Yes I'm bored.

Panarin - Eichel - Kakko
Laf - Zib - Buch
Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov
Lemmy - FA - PDG

Miller - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
FA - FA

Shesty
FA
No chance in hell Buffalo would do that trade lol

Reactions: DanielBrassard

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I continue to be in an extreme amount of doubt that any deal for Eichel will include any one of Fox/Lafreniere/Kakko/Igor.

Look at comparable deals. Buffalo could want a Homerun here but it is much more likely they will have to settle for a 2/4 day at the plate with a Double, Single, Walk, 2 RBIs, and 2 Runs scored. A strikeout mixed in. Not a 4/4 day with 4 HR’s but still a very productive day. They can still live with it and move forward with a positive outlook.

Chytil, Lundkvist/Schneider, 2021 1st round pick, Strome, Jones/Robertson.

If that isn’t enough to grab Eichel, with that many pieces then move on. Thats a young center with (2) potentially Top 4 D — maybe even higher for Lundkvist, and unprotected 1st. Strome is in there for Salary purposes. Strome could possibly be flipped for an asset at next years deadline. I would prefer to swap Chytil with Kravtsov and add a 2nd round pick to the deal but I think BUF is going to demand Chytil be included.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Everyone gushes about the Rangers future, and it ain't fcking Blackwell and Rooney. Trading multiple potential future cornerstones for one player already signed to a massive cap hit would infuriate me. Eichel does not make this team a playoff team any faster than *hoping* Chytil turns into a proper 2c. Granted they still need a 1c but it might be better to hope for luck with what they have/value trade (like Zib) than to go all in on an Eichel.

If the team stinks with what they have now, imagine how bad they will be with Eichel passing to Lemieux on PP1!

The Rangers don’t become a long term contender without another elite center in the pipeline and Eichel represents that. It’s worth it to overpay for him.

It’s not worth it for that price to include Kakko, Lafreniere, Fox, or Shesterkin, and it’s not worth it for them to get more than one of Lundkvist or Kravtsov either.

They need to come to grips that no offer is going to present them with heaps of top prospects. This can be a four-for-one deal but literally any team doing that four for one deal will be including a basic first round pick and a roster player who does not have a ton of upside. For us that is like, Strome or DeAngelo.

After that, they are picking from probably one of Kravtsov, Schneider and Lundkvist, and one lesser prospect as well.

This idea that they are gonna demand Kakko and Lundkvist and get it is insane. And they are not going to turn around and get Byfield and Turcotte from LA either.

And once they realize that, then they will realize that a deal of Lundkvist, Strome, Zack Jones, and a first is just about the best haul they can expect.

That deal is obviously not enough to pry a happy Eichel out of Buffalo but if Eichel was happy they wouldn’t be trading him period. But he’s not happy and teams know it, so in such a force-out scenario his value is pennies on the dollar and that right there is at least on par with the best offer anyone is making.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Why wont they get that back, exactly? Besides the Rangers saying no thanks (which they should anyway, they literally cant afford Eichel cap-wise unless you let Mika go)

Because no one else can beat a way lesser deal, even. No one can afford his contract right now. And Buffalo is going to be forced to move him.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Johansen got Seth Jones, a recent top-3 pick then, for a guy who had a SINGLE good season

plus the guys you listed were nowhere near Eichel in skill and age

Do I think the Rangers get him? No because of the money. But if they did its including Fox one way or another, and Id assume Kakko is tied to him so they can keep their 1st in case they win the lotto again

you cant get Eichel without Fox, it just cant happen. Kakko hasnt proven anywhere near enough to be the center piece

Actually the comps that you were provided were way better than the Johanson comp. Which by the way that was one piece he returned in Seth Jones, not four pieces.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I dont think NY should even inquire. Theyd put themselves in cap hell

but from Buffalos perspective, Kakko cant be the centerpiece or they may as well fold

I don’t think you know what you are talking about. If the Rangers move Strome and DeAngelo, boom, there’s the cap space.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Blue Jackets fans thought they were getting Kreider and Miller for Nash

Rangers fans thought they were getting Sergachev and Cirelli for McDonagh

Devils fans thought they were getting Chychrun and/or Keller for Hall

In reality, the actual return for a player is never as sexy as what fans have been speculating. If Sabres fans are expecting Kakko, Lafrenière, Fox or even Miller or Lundkvist, they're going to be very disappointed when the trade is announced.

The framework for these deals is well established.

A star player who wants out and is in their mid 20s is going to bring back a first, a prospect, a roster player, and then probably either another prospect or roster player. The caliber of those prospects is usually dependent on how good the player being dealt is but the roster player is usually a good but not great one.

27 year old Nash is obviously not as valuable as 24 year old Eichel but people are letting the memory of what Nash became cloud their view when they say he’s not a good comp.

He’s an excellent comp. He was an elite asset, locked up to a long contract, in the prime of his career with a lot of tread left on his tires. These Sabres fans think they are trading 24 year old Mario Lemieux away though.

Nash brought back a first (a first that was known to be late, by the way), a prospect that no one cared much about losing in Tim Erixon, and two roster players in Anisimov and Dubinsky who were both about what, 25? But were also basically done developing.

Eichel will bring back more than that but he won’t bring back four Crown Jewels.

A first (probably a significantly higher first), a better prospect but not a top prospect (like Lundkvist, Schneider OR Kravtsov), a roster player (Strome/DeAngelo/Buch), and then they can probably get one more lesser piece .... so maybe a Howden or Hajek if they want another roster player, or a Jones or Robertson maybe if they want another prospect.

That’s it. They will not find another team around who will beat that offer. LA is not going to cough up Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev and a first.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad