Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXII: Stepping up in a Perfect Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Johansen got Seth Jones, a recent top-3 pick then, for a guy who had a SINGLE good season

plus the guys you listed were nowhere near Eichel in skill and age

Do I think the Rangers get him? No because of the money. But if they did its including Fox one way or another, and Id assume Kakko is tied to him so they can keep their 1st in case they win the lotto again

you cant get Eichel without Fox, it just cant happen. Kakko hasnt proven anywhere near enough to be the center piece

No Ranger fans wants to give up Fox.

But, let's put the scenario that the main piece is Fox.

The next piece is not Kakko, LaF, Igor, Miller and prolly count out Kravtsov, Chytil, Lundkvist, Schenider as well.

Fox is a 1D right now.

The rest of the deal realistically would be salary cap equalizers and down the list prospects.

But even more realistic, Fox is untouchable.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Did you read the words “not exact” and “relatively young”?
I did but it felt disingenuous to still name examples that, really, just dont fit the criteria

plus Taylor Halls trade is one of the worst ever in the leagues history, so hardly a good example in any scenario ever

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
As someone said, Fox chose to come to NY anyway so its a crap shoot

Eichels contract would be the problem anyhow. Rangers would lose Zibanejad unless he took a huge discount, with having to pay guys like Kakko Fox Lafreniere etc.. in the years to come
Eh, not really. It'd be swapping Zibanejad's extension which is likely going to be at least 8M+ probably more if he bounces back for Eichel at 10M. So either way they'd have to make tough choices on who to keep. Not to mention Zibanejad would be signed from 29 until his mid 30s while Eichel would be here from 25-29.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Doesn’t have to be exact but what are some examples of trade returns for relatively young first-line/elite forwards?

Hall? Adam Larsson lol
O’Reilly? Literally nothing
Nash and Duchene's 1st trade

Strome, Buch, Jones, 1st + would be my offer. At this point, it might be better to offer Zibs over Strome.

I’d be ok with Chytil + Lundkvist + Buchnevich + Kravtsov + 2021 1st.

Otherwise they can get bent.
thats a no from me dawg

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I did but it felt disingenuous to still name examples that, really, just dont fit the criteria

plus Taylor Halls trade is one of the worst ever in the leagues history, so hardly a good example in any scenario ever
It’d be disingenuous if I was trying to downplay Eichel’s value, but I wasn’t. I was legit just curious.

Reactions: Woncka

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
No Ranger fans wants to give up Fox.

But, let's put the scenario that the main piece is Fox.

The next piece is not Kakko, LaF, Igor, Miller and prolly count out Kravtsov, Chytil, Lundkvist, Schenider as well.

Fox is a 1D right now.

The rest of the deal realistically would be salary cap equalizers and down the list prospects.

But even more realistic, Fox is untouchable.
If Buffalo said 'we will take Fox for Eichel straight up, even if he refuses to ever play for us'

would you do it? Just curious

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Eh, not really. It'd be swapping Zibanejad's extension which is likely going to be at least 8M+ probably more if he bounces back for Eichel at 10M. So either way they'd have to make tough choices on who to keep. Not to mention Zibanejad would be signed from 29 until his mid 30s while Eichel would be here from 25-29.
I had assumed Zibanejad would stay , otherwise its one center for another (which totally favors NY but I digress)

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Kevyn Adams asset eval and trading skills are a mystery. Lets hope it's as bad as every other Buffalo GM.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
If Buffalo said 'we will take Fox for Eichel straight up, even if he refuses to ever play for us'

would you do it? Just curious

I think I answered that by saying the rest of a deal would be cap fillers and lesser prospects and not any of the bigger names.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Blue Jackets fans thought they were getting Kreider and Miller for Nash

Rangers fans thought they were getting Sergachev and Cirelli for McDonagh

Devils fans thought they were getting Chychrun and/or Keller for Hall

In reality, the actual return for a player is never as sexy as what fans have been speculating. If Sabres fans are expecting Kakko, Lafrenière, Fox or even Miller or Lundkvist, they're going to be very disappointed when the trade is announced.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Blue Jackets fans thought they were getting Kreider and Miller for Nash

Rangers fans thought they were getting Sergachev and Cirelli for McDonagh

Devils fans thought they were getting Chychrun and/or Keller for Hall

In reality, the actual return for a player is never as sexy as what fans have been speculating. If Sabres fans are expecting Kakko, Lafrenière, Fox or even Miller or Lundkvist, they're going to be very disappointed when the trade is announced.
Depends on how dumb their current GM is

though to think Miller and Lundkvist are also not included is probably loopy-land type thinking. I mean Lundkvist hasnt even played in the NHL and you wouldnt include him in a deal for a player whod be the best forward NY has had at center since Messier?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

though to think Miller and Lundkvist are also not included is probably loopy-land type thinking. I mean Lundkvist hasnt even played in the NHL and you wouldnt include him in a deal for a player whod be the best forward NY has had at center since Messier?
It's not about balancing the two sides if a scale. It's about markets and demand. If Chytil, Buchnevich, Robertson and a 2nd is the best they can get, that's the deal. It seems like it's reaching the point of no return where they can't balk any more.

Reactions: mas0764

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Why are you here?

I mean get ready to live in loopy land but also get bent and go back to your board.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't see us moving Lundkvist. He's that good.

Miller is just on the roster at this point. It's like the whole asking the Yankees to trade Torres thing.

The sexiest piece I could see getting moved is Kravtsov.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Duchene returned a 1st, a 2nd and 3rd, Bowers, Hammond, Kamenev and the best piece outside of what a pick became, Sam Girard. Bowers was a B prospect, Hammond was a back up, I couldn't tell you what Kamenev was in all honesty.

If we did an unprotected 1st and 2 picks from different years, Lundkvist, Barron, a Hartford goalie and Rykov... ok?

Reactions: RGY

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Kakko. Chytil. Schneider. 1st. Goalie (Geo).

That’s an absurd package. Even for Eichel.

If that’s the cost then you easily pass. No team in the league gives up that much for a player that wants out. It doesn’t make sense for us. It doesn’t work out financially either.
Oh shit we’re getting Lindros. Seriously if this is the asking price forget Eichel.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Don’t we have to send more salary the other way? I’m sure they would take Strome maybe we get lucky and can keep Kravtsov Or Chytil but doubt it

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014

I whine like a b**ch on here about our lack of center depth now and how hysterically bad it is in the future. Then I see your post (which makes a perfectly fair offer for both sides) and I catch myself shaking my head over my soup muttering "no fng wayyyy man".

I'm such a crappy, indecisive wannabe GM when it comes to how far I'd go to get this guy.

Last edited:

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I can't see us moving Lundkvist. He's that good.

Miller is just on the roster at this point. It's like the whole asking the Yankees to trade Torres thing.

The sexiest piece I could see getting moved is Kravtsov.
Kravtsov isn't sexy in reality. I want to reside right in the loopy land town square: Kravtsov, Kreider, Trouba, Strome, some late round picks, AND they eat some of his salary.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

If DeAngelo was still on our team, then maybe. But Lundkvist fills a hole in the line up now. They aren't trading starters on ELCs. If that was the case, this trade would have been done a while ago

Reactions: mas0764
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad