Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXII: Stepping up in a Perfect Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I truly can't believe we have Blackwell on PP1, playing in the high slot and Laf playing the slot on PP2. This is mind numbing... it can work but it's horrible optics and imo could be very bad for morale. Why isn't a player like Laf given the opportunity?

I didn't see it yesterday and I thought people were meme'ing

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'm not crediting David Quinn with Adam Fox the second coming of Brian Leetch for not having a sophomore slump. Miller has looked great since day 1 as did Fox. They came to us as complete players. It's great that they're doing well and good on Quinn for giving them tons of minutes but I am looking for improvements especially with the forwards. We're set on defense. It also took Martin to get this defense in order after 4 terrible years with Ruff. Quinn admitted to the fact that it was a fire drill his first 2 years prior to Martin. I'll give him partial credit for the progress of Lindgren, Fox, Miller, etc.

Going onto his 3rd year, none of our forwards has broken out. Chytil and Kakko look great and I'm excited but at the end of the day, talent this good and in a rebuild, we need 40+ point production at some point. So far none of our forwards have cracked 30 points in a full 82 game season. Flashes of talent is not enough. These two players are supposed to be our future. Ideally I'd like one of our Gauthier, Lemieux, Howden, Andersson 2nd tier forwards to have cemented a role as a middle 6 player putting up 30+ points but so far, nothing. In fact Lemmy and Howden in their 3rd year are on pace to finish the same or worse than both of their prior years. Static. zero growth. Their on ice attributes are identical as well. Kakko was frustrated at the end of last year and stopped trying to be creative under Quinn's "don't do this, don't do that" coaching. Andersson and Kravstov were rubbed the wrong way in their short stint under Quinn. Let's face it, Chytil improving is like 50% the fact that he's grown into a man's body. Quinn gets only partial credit for that. If he puts up say 60 point pace by the end of the season, I'll give Quinn full credit but flashes of talent isn't enough.

I'm not looking for the hockey version of Disney's on ice spectacle: Genghis Khan, the Greatest Conquest of Mankind's History on skates but so far out of the forwards that have had a chance to take a step in our rebuild under Quinn: Lemieux, Howden, Gauthier, Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, Andersson, Kravstov, so far we've peaked with "wow, our 2nd overall pick has legs and he's really using 'em!"
This post deserves a spot of honor in the new thread here. A+.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately don’t have the benefit of having a computer in front of me. But Hughes? Stutzle?
Isn’t Lafreniere supposed to be an elite forward?A number one overall pick? Why is Blackwell or Strome getting first pp time over him?
Who at center is Hughes competition in NJ this year?

And no, Stuetzle does not. Someone named Tkachuk is ahead of him. And as of today, Stuetzle has not EARNED the right to play more.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

And no, Stuetzle does not. Someone named Tkachuk is ahead of him. And as of today, Stuetzle has not EARNED the right to play more.
Even if Hischier had been around and playing well I bet Hughes would still be given bigger pp minutes.
Identifying a dynamic offensive player and giving him more time in chances where there is more time and space. Not giving those min to Strome and blackwell. We know who they are already

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Even if Hischier had been around and playing well I bet Hughes would still be given bigger pp minutes.
Identifying a dynamic offensive player and giving him more time in chances where there is more time and space. Not giving those min to Strome and blackwell. We know who they are already
What you are betting on and what is actually happening are two different things.

Tell me, was Hughes getting major top PP minutes last year? And was his ice time distribution strictly up to the coach?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Have you watched Stutzle play?
The kid is being given every opportunity. Last night he was flying and super confident. Yes he’s gonna make some mistakes and made a few in the ot. What does dj smith do? Send him right out there again on the ice

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What you are betting on and what is actually happening are two different things.

Tell me, was Hughes getting major top PP minutes last year?
Not sure and like I said I don’t have ability to look up but I guarantee u he was getting more looks than Lafreniere is

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For #1OA picks? Nearly all?

When the team is struggling offensively and has lost their best players ( one being MIA )?

The better question is, what coach would pick Blackwell over a highly prized 1OA pick?
The real question is do you believe that how Lafreniere gets handles is strictly up to Quinn?

Reactions: pld459666

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Have you watched Stutzle play?
The kid is being given every opportunity. Last night he was flying and super confident. Yes he’s gonna make some mistakes and made a few in the ot. What does dj smith do? Send him right out there again on the ice
That does not change the fact that he is not playing ahead of Tkachuk on the top PP unit

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That does not change the fact that he is not playing ahead of Tkachuk on the top PP unit
Haha yes exactly when the Rangers get a guy who’s playing like Brady right now let me know. Strome and Blackwell are echl players compared to Brady

Reactions: DutchShamrock

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Haha yes exactly when the Rangers get a guy who’s playing like Brady right now let me know. Strome and Blackwell are echl players compared to Brady
Well for most of the season, there was someone named Panarin there. So there's that. And this will be the first game without him. So before flying into a murderous rage, perhaps it should be seen how things play out for a bit?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The real question is do you believe that how Lafreniere gets handles is strictly up to Quinn?
yes?

When he's given PP2 time, in the same position Blackwell is on in PP1... It's very bad. If you're implying Quinn is getting directives to keep Lafreniere off of PP1, I don't know what to say to that.

It's obvious and simple. Starting to think, Quinn believes doing the obvious is a super power. You put your best players/talent on the ice on the PP. Players like Lafreniere excel with space and time. He should be a staple on the PP/4v4/3v3.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well for most of the season, there was someone named Panarin there. So there's that. And this will be the first game without him. So before flying into a murderous rage, perhaps it should be seen how things play out for a bit?

not in rage at all. Just wanna see the only true first overall prospect we will probably see in our lifetime get a chance over two guys who are what they are.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->