GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm so tired of not having a goalie, so I want it to be true :laugh:

I just want to have that guy that you don't worry about. Just lets you score and not worry
That is what happens when you go from a GM that builds from the net out to a GM that flies by the seat of his pants. Sparks, Hutch, Rittich, Soup, Murray, Sammy.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Said it before and will say it again:

If Marner is being traded, Treliving has to hit it out of the park, both on the trade return and what he does with the freed up cap space.

Nashville and Saros are meh from my view.

We have Woll and Hildeby, as well as 2 other goalie prospects chomping at the bit for a chance.

Marner is a premium trade chip. Saros would be a waste and I wouldn’t want to think what Saros would be demanding as a UFA next season.

Hard pass on a deal with Nashville.

Find something better. Mangling a Marner trade can screw us over easily for the next 5 years.
I agree... But at the same time, Marner is in the driver's seat. I would rather get something for him rather than nothing when he walks next year.

We do have some leverage - A 90-100 winger in his prime. 8 year contract can be given. His actual salary after July 1st is like 700k, so really a team is getting an 8 year contract over 9 years.

Reactions: conFABulator

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
A boatload of good picks seems good to me also. It's a universal currency that everyone values. Nashville has a full stock that we could do anything we want with them

Reactions: jaric1862

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We do have our own Russian goalie prospect, Artur Akhtyamov, who is currently in the VHL finals and might win playoffs MVP. Maybe he'll turn into a star. Goalies are hard to predict, I wouldn't bet a sure thing in Marner on a hot goalie prospect.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It's the off-season so we can get a bit stupid right? Assuming Marner is willing to extend in Nashville...

View attachment 874037

Tkachuk returned a top pair RD, a top line winger and a 1st

Marner = Josi
Saros for Rielly

2nd for Liljegren, Jarnkrok, 5th and 7th

I feel like on value that's pretty sweet for Nashville, Leafs get a different look for PP QB and in net

Preds get a top scoring type RW to draw more hype, Forsberg-ROR-Marner would be one of the better 2-way lines in the league.

Rielly replaces some of the offense lost with Josi. Liljegren is a young RD for a change of scenery and Jarnkrok is a utility forward they're familiar with, plus some extra picks.

Will it happen? Nah.
I think the + should be coming from Nashville since Josi is going to be 34 and Marner is 27.

If they add in Sissons I'll do it. And remove Liljegren.

Marner, Rielly, Jarnkrok for Saros, Josi, Sissons

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
A boatload of good picks seems good to me also. It's a universal currency that everyone values. Nashville has a full stock that we could do anything we want with them

They're not great picks or anything. They're a bunch of 2nds. I don't want to trade Marner for scratch off tickets.

Reactions: Buds17

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A prospect I want the Leafs to acquire is Ryan Winterton. I proposed moving for him last off-season. He'd be the only RS C in the Leafs system/roster. He played with Cowan in London and lead them in points in the playoffs last year. It would be good to give Cowan some familiarity on the roster for his rookie season if that is the plan. Winterton put up 35 points in 58 games in his rookie season in the AHL at 20. I would move Niemela or Minten straight up for him.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m pretty intrigued by Askarov I can’t lie.
I like the options around the teams pick, so more picks would be good.
Tomasino intrigues me.
I wouldn’t be heartbroken by a deal with those parts, plus.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
They're not great picks or anything. They're a bunch of 2nds. I don't want to trade Marner for scratch off tickets.
I mean....the leafs usually have no picks at all to work with and we still managed to draft Knies with a 2nd and Cowan with a late 1st.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I am on the record advocating to trade Marner regardless of the return, but a goalie as the centrepiece of that trade is less than ideal. They are just so unpredictable.

Saros is about as close to a sure thing in the NHL these days and even he's coming off a rough year (.906SV%). There is also no telling how a goalie will perform under the bright lights here.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I’m pretty intrigued by Askarov I can’t lie.
I like the options around the teams pick, so more picks would be good.
Tomasino intrigues me.
I wouldn’t be heartbroken by a deal with those parts, plus.
I am very intrigued by this also.

Once again, I am all about the cap space as a big part of the equation for me. Askarov and Tomasino, plus draft picks seems good to me when you consider what we could do with the $9M in cap space.

Marner
Kampf

For

Askarov
Tomasino
2nd Round
2nd Round
Roy (FA)
Tanev (FA)

Seems like a pretty good return. We let Tomasino take Kampf's spot on the roster, we add two top 4 dmen, we let Cowan pick up some of the Marner gap, and we get a prospect that could be a franchise goalie.

Not sure Nashville goes for this, but Leaf fans should be happy with this one.

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Robertson Tavares McMann
Knies Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Tomasino Jarnkrok
Cowan

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Roy
Benoit Liljegren

Woll
Jones

This is how we get better...turn Marner into dmen and prospects.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can't believe this Saros talk

He's a 30 year old goaltender who needs a wracking great payrise after next season

He will be 31 years old, then what happens if Woll has a good year next season solidifying himself as the starter of the future, or Hildeby has a strong season and looks ready to step up?

The last thing your going to want is a high priced older goalie blocking them so he'd either walk or you get a low pick from somebody so they can talk to him

That's your Marner return, that would be worse than the Kadri return

We need young cost controlled players and prospects that can play center and defense, that should be our main focus with a pick or two thrown in but defense and centers first

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I am very intrigued by this also.

Once again, I am all about the cap space as a big part of the equation for me. Askarov and Tomasino, plus draft picks seems good to me when you consider what we could do with the $9M in cap space.

Marner
Kampf

For

Askarov
Tomasino
2nd Round
2nd Round
Roy (FA)
Tanev (FA)

Seems like a pretty good return. We let Tomasino take Kampf's spot on the roster, we add two top 4 dmen, we let Cowan pick up some of the Marner gap, and we get a prospect that could be a franchise goalie.

Not sure Nashville goes for this, but Leaf fans should be happy with this one.

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Robertson Tavares McMann
Knies Holmberg Nylander
Dewar Tomasino Jarnkrok
Cowan

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Roy
Benoit Liljegren

Woll
Jones

This is how we get better...turn Marner into dmen and prospects.
I think one of those picks would be a first, the team could draft a C and a D in the first, and maybe be able to upgrade on Bert.
I’d be okay with that.
Edit to add: I might need to run that one through capfriendly

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can see JT getting prospects and picks in a trade and it makes sense for the Leafs.
I just can't see MM getting prospects and picks as he is a bigger trading chip and can get good players in return

Reactions: TMLAM34

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I can't believe this Saros talk

He's a 30 year old goaltender who needs a wracking great payrise after next season

He will be 31 years old, then what happens if Woll has a good year next season solidifying himself as the starter of the future, or Hildeby has a strong season and looks ready to step up?

The last thing your going to want is a high priced older goalie blocking them so he'd either walk or you get a low pick from somebody so they can talk to him

That's your Marner return, that would be worse than the Kadri return

We need young cost controlled players and prospects that can play center and defense, that should be our main focus with a pick or two thrown in but defense and centers first

Marner needs to return a top pairing defender or proper pick and prospect combination. 2nd pairing defender and tender with pick and prospect compensation is fine as well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
There's a fairly knowledgable Preds fan that would do their 2024 1st+ Tomasino+ Wood/Kemell. Undeniably a roll of the dice but the upside + low cap combo through the next 4 years could be huge during the Matthews window

Reactions: Kiwi

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm really coming around on the idea of Pulock for Marner. You get him from age 30-35 for 6.15M. He's played over 22 minutes/night in 4 of the last 6 seasons and 21 minutes/night in the other 2. His underlying numbers are strong, he's played top pair on 2 deep playoff runs. He could be exactly what the Leafs need. The only issue being the Islanders don't have the cap for a 1 for 1. Palmieri is coming off a 30 goal season and could theoretically fill the Bertuzzi role on the top line for his last season on his current deal or the Leafs could flip him elsewhere.

To NYI: Marner, Liljegren
To TOR: Pulock, Palmieri, 18 OA

• Haha
Reactions: LeafChief

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What do you guys think of a return of Andre Burakovsky, Shane Wright and Ty Nelson for Marner?

Burakovsky would be a guy that would probably sweeten the return from Seattle's perspective just because it frees up some long-term cap for them. Had an off year, but he's a legitimate top six winger with a lot of Stanley Cup experience and production.

That deal would open an extra ~$5m of flexibility this summer and it'd give you an exciting young NHL ready blue chip in Shane Wright and a potential Ryan Ellis clone in a few years with Nelson.

Fun idea for a quick retool.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think one of those picks would be a first, the team could draft a C and a D in the first, and maybe be able to upgrade on Bert.
I’d be okay with that.
Edit to add: I might need to run that one through capfriendly
Possibly, I have no idea of the value of Askarov so I didn't want to get greedy expecting/asking for a first.

Make this trade on CapFriendly...then trade Kampf, Jarnkrok and (maybe Liljegren) and see any you can do with this roster. Here is a quick one I just did. This roster has $8M left to spend.
1000010401.png

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What do you guys think of a return of Andre Burakovsky, Shane Wright and Ty Nelson for Marner?

Burakovsky would be a guy that would probably sweeten the return from Seattle's perspective just becauseit frees up some long-term cap for them. Had an off year, but he's a legitimate top six winger with a lot of Stanley Cup experience and production.

That deal would open an extra ~$5m of flexibility this summer and it'd give you an exciting young NHL ready blue chip in Shane Wright and a potential Ryan Ellis clone in a few years with Nelson.

Fun idea for a quick retool.

I'd hate that deal tbh. Bura makes a lot, isn't physical and coming off a bad year, and we're already stacked on the wing. Ty Nelson was a 3rd round pick and I don't think he's done anything to raise his stock. And Wright is an enigma, I think he's much more likely to be a bust than a star.

If we're dealing with Seattle, I think names like Dunn, Penny's brother and Larsson would be of interest.

Reactions: conFABulator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad