Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2019/2020) - Tick Tock

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have so many cap issues to deal with this year and next. They have so many young players on the team. They are trying to do two things at once. Panarin will be 28 in October. Tough spot for them.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The Rangers have so many cap issues to deal with this year and next. They have so many young players on the team. They are trying to do two things at once. Panarin will be 28 in October. Tough spot for them.
I didn’t even want Panarin but Jesus Christ man get over it already.
grumpy-cat-meme-00.jpg

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
They'll manage.
Totally agree.

I have no doubt when Sather was GM he would make decisions independently of each other with a mindset of “whatever, I’ll burn that bridge when I get there” regarding subsequent moves. (I went to HS with someone who is a well-respected hockey writer these days, and I’ve heard some stories.) But ever since Gorton took over as GM, and especially now that JD is the big boss, I have full confidence that they devote serious time to gaming these things out, same as a normal company plans product rollouts, sales strategies, and R&D timelines.

That’s not to say you don’t take risks that might not work out, or that you might get unlucky, or there won’t be “unforeseen market factors” that can’t cause troubles and force you to adjust — but I refuse to believe they signed Panarin (and Trouba) without a definite plan in place for how to deal with the cap implications this year and next.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You can always manage. There are a method in the CBA for how to handle situations when teams cannot manage the cap and it has not been used once to this date.

There is however a risk in pushing a problem in front of you. Its hard to deny that our management, Gorton certainly included, has had a big "the grass is always greener..." problem for a long time. We are willing to give very long contracts to players that has played for other teams, but only seen that bad sides when looking at our own players. How long ago did Gorton conclude that Hayes was -- not -- worth like what 4m per on a 5 year deal? If these guys are locked up long-term at a great rate we would get a good return when we trade them. Instead we just get the rental return. We have pissed away many many 1st round picks worth of value with these decisions over the years. We have also ended up with tremendously bad contracts, by not locking up our home grown players over their prime years, but instead waited until we had to sign them to long-term deals in their late 20s.

We are in great shape now, thanks to IMO making two really good picks in Kravtsov and K'Andre while winning the lottery.

It is what it is, but we better not sit there in 2-3 years -- again -- wishing that we would have signed this or that kid to a long-term contracts before. We have gone down that road too many times before, Gorton must start to ace these decisions yesterday. JMHO.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The only thing that really concerns me about the cap crunch is the prospect that we make moves for compliance now that cost us space 3-4 years from now, when we expect to be fielding a very good team. Having to buyout Shattenkirk was a small slice of that problem- more dead cap on the books.

Otherwise, it's fine. But will hardballing DeAngelo cost us if we want to hang on to him 2 years from now? Having to pick RFA players to deal for cap reasons isn't the worst scenario (You get to pick who) but it isn't 100% ideal either.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

You are rooting against Panarin. You want to be right.

You'd be dissapointed if this contract works out.

You'll probably boast 5 games in if he is struggling.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
On Friday, Machinehead was discussing the Rangers going back to their old days by signing Panarin. They are supposed to be rebuilding. The Rangers go out and give Panarin a 7 year contract worth $81.5M contract laden with signing bonuses. Buyout proof. The Rangers are married to Panarin.
We certainly are married to Panarin now. We’re in it. So let’s hope for the best. Let’s embrace it. Let’s hope the plan works which has to be centered around them forecasting the development of Kakko/Kravtsov timeline lining up within the next 3 years while Panarin is still producing at an elite level

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Totally agree.

I have no doubt when Sather was GM he would make decisions independently of each other with a mindset of “whatever, I’ll burn that bridge when I get there” regarding subsequent moves. (I went to HS with someone who is a well-respected hockey writer these days, and I’ve heard some stories.) But ever since Gorton took over as GM, and especially now that JD is the big boss, I have full confidence that they devote serious time to gaming these things out, same as a normal company plans product rollouts, sales strategies, and R&D timelines.

That’s not to say you don’t take risks that might not work out, or that you might get unlucky, or there won’t be “unforeseen market factors” that can’t cause troubles and force you to adjust — but I refuse to believe they signed Panarin (and Trouba) without a definite plan in place for how to deal with the cap implications this year and next.
Yeah. For me to be concerned, I would have to take RB's points--we have a lot of young players and Panarin will be 28--and assume that Gorton and Co. were unaware of these issues, and hadn't planned accordingly. I don't think that's the case. After the 20-21 season, Shattenkirk's dead money becomes basically negligible and we have plenty of money coming off the books ($18M just with Lundqvist, Smith, and Staal; $2.5M in dead space against a larger cap). I don't know...seems like we're in pretty okay shape, to me.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah. For me to be concerned, I would have to take RB's points--we have a lot of young players and Panarin will be 28--and assume that Gorton and Co. were unaware of these issues, and hadn't planned accordingly. I don't think that's the case. After the 20-21 season, Shattenkirk's dead money becomes basically negligible and we have plenty of money coming off the books ($18M just with Lundqvist, Smith, and Staal; $2.5M in dead space against a larger cap). I don't know...seems like we're in pretty okay shape, to me.

I mean, I understand the concern. These things can turn really fast. Let’s say that the best happens. Kakko and Kravtsov are legitimate elite forwards. Miller or Fox or whoever is a top-pair D. Shesterkin is a bonafide starter. That has the potential to be a TON of money tied up in just a few players on their second contracts, all of which hit within the span of a couple of years. It would be a very, very tough cap situation.

But as you said, it’s hard to imagine that this was not considered by our front office in their planning. It also falls under the category of “good problems to have.”

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. I do not get the idea at all that Gorton does something by flying by the seat of his pants. Same goes for JD. I believe that there is a plan in place to manage the cap and expectations over the next two years.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Lundquivst doesn’t make things any easier. The writing is on the wall. Meanwhile, Staal is doing nothing more than accepting a paycheck.

The Giants Harry Carson did it the right way. He had some left in the tank yet openly stated that there is a time to move on and let somebody begin their time. No reason to go out on empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad