Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2019/2020) - Tick Tock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Who are you using as comparable players?
I didn’t conduct a comprehensive study, but Rick Nash comes to mind. I’d argue that he was worth his last contract for 4 of the 8 seasons it ran. If Panarin’s output remains elite through year 4, maybe we’ve got a shot at a Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Ranger

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Some thoughts.

1. I can’t believe this season will soon start.

2. We have not even remotely had this much to look forward to since October 1993.

3. We can try to brace ourselves for different types of let-downs that supposedly will come. However, when you have enough horses in the races you will come away with your fair shares of wins too.

The coming years will be amazing.

4. I really hope that we keep on building at a slow but steady pace. The key going forward will not be to push and keep pushing until we race the Cup. It’s to aim to put ourself in the running every year.

5. This place will be like it always is, no fault in that! ;)

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I was responding to the comment about Panarin being a better player than Kakko when Kakko is on his 2nd contract.

Really?

"Kakko will be the best player on the team by his 2nd season."

Revising history. Really.

Maybe the above isn't what you meant to say, but it's what you said.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think we are gonna shock the league this year imo. A lot of it relies on Hajek, DeAngelo and Fox being good NHL'ers but I like our top 6 up front.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Don't think so, a reporter out of Raleigh mentioned this yesterday. Not that it isn't a downgrade in pay, but there is interest in him.

I'm not saying theres no interest. Im suggesting the interest is significantly less than what he hoped for. Reports of teams interested in him as an insurance policy only confirms that.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and nyr2k2

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We have not even remotely had this much to look forward to since October 1993.
It has been an amazing summer. With winning the lottery, how can we not be excited? Not only in the draft but also nabbing top dog in free agency. Plus with our previous draft picks, finally ready to fight for spots, is just icing on the cake. Our future looks bright.

Drop the puck already. Can't wait.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think we are gonna shock the league this year imo. A lot of it relies on Hajek, DeAngelo and Fox being good NHL'ers but I like our top 6 up front.

I think DeAngelo played well last season. A ton of hype and anticipation for Fox. I’m not sure what to expect from Hajek. He was mediocre to put it lightly in Hartford and a few NHL Games still leaves a lot to prove.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Without a doubt our PP looks phenomenal. Besides adding Panarin and Kakko up front, adding Fox and Trouba along with DeAngelo on the point, looks extremely promising.

My hope is we somehow improve defensively. There were some games last year we played responsibly, keeping the quality chances against, down to a minimum. But we were very inconsistent in doing so. And at times, lost all confidence as a team to defend. With the influx of all the new talent coming this season, my hope is they keep the growing pains down to a minimum. Playing a defensive structure rest squarely with the coaches. Which is why Quinn was quick to pull players who shown lapses.

Adam Fox is underrated as a defender. Hopefully he makes smart decisions and learns the system quickly. Skjei needs to show the consistency that got him his extended contract. Trouba also needs to be responsible. Staal is getting long in the tooth and needs to prove his worth once again. DeAngelo needs to mature off the ice, and be more of a professional. With all these question marks we are in for a rough season. But exciting none the less.
It is one thing to have a great PP or possibly one....but you need a team that can force the opponents to take penalties and for our 3-4th lines to stay out of the box and avoid taking stupid penalties at the same time and even more so for our Dmen .

Reactions: ohbaby

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Panarin's not coming to NY. Florida. Q connection. Panarin is going to get 15m. Taxes. NYC. Do you know how much we'd have to pay him to match Florida? You're fools for believing the Canadian media links. When has ____ (insert pundit) ever been right?

Listen to JD. He says be patient. Patience. Does that sound like PANARIN to you? Patience.

How come no one can answer that question??? If you can’t answer, it means I win.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Getting a 1st for Kreider has to be non-negotiable

They’re going to need these 1st round talents on ELC’s in a few years. Gotta keep the pipe stocked up as much as possible

Plus a first is attractive ammo if you need to move up. Way more attractive than flipping a reclamation project like pool party.

We are stocked with talent. We have our top line forwards and plenty of depth, especially on defense.

I’m not interested in gambles unless it’s for a #1 center or #1 defenseman. We have everything else. Puljujarvi is neither.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I didn’t conduct a comprehensive study, but Rick Nash comes to mind. I’d argue that he was worth his last contract for 4 of the 8 seasons it ran. If Panarin’s output remains elite through year 4, maybe we’ve got a shot at a Cup.

The comprehensive study we do have indicates he’s likely to remain a first line caliber player, though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
This week so bad for Boyle:

not sure how that has anything to do with boyle. upshall didn't play a single game last year after a failed tryout with edmonton. so he's more a guy that didn't get the memo that he's retired.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
not sure how that has anything to do with boyle. upshall didn't play a single game last year after a failed tryout with edmonton. so he's more a guy that didn't get the memo that he's retired.
A year older, comparable numbers, comparable role. He’s a comparable.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
It is one thing to have a great PP or possibly one....but you need a team that can force the opponents to take penalties.....

True. Something tells me though, Kakko will draw many penalties as they try to chase him around the zone. And you know Lemieux will get under people's skin.

But it is like you said, we will need to stay out of the box. And that seems unlikely with such a young group. I don't know how well we will play defensively, which is my main concern,... cause that's what ultimately wins games. Keeping quality chances down to a minimum, requires a full team effort. And that no doubt, will be the focus in training camp and beyond. None of the rookies expected to crack the lineup (Fox, Kakko, Kravtsov, Rykov) are from our farm club. So they need to learn our system from scratch. Along with Panarin and Trouba to a lesser extent.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
A year older, comparable numbers, comparable role. He’s a comparable.

but he didn't play hockey last year so that makes him completely not comparable. and he didn't just not play in the NHL, he didn't play anywhere. he wasn't hurt just no one signed him.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
but he didn't play hockey last year so that makes him completely not comparable. and he didn't just not play in the NHL, he didn't play anywhere. he wasn't hurt just no one signed him.
Ok, not agreeing but what about Maroon and then the fact that Boyle hasn’t signed?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Brian Bolye was a very tough negotiator his last few goes as a UFA, probably the same here, it takes two to tango. He's an endangered specie in the NHL due to age/cap hit so he has to try and maximize his value as an asset.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"Kakko will be the best player on the team by his 2nd season."

Revising history. Really.

Maybe the above isn't what you meant to say, but it's what you said.

I stand by the statement. Kaapo Kakko will be THE main force on the Rangers. It's Kaapo Kakko and the New York Rangers. When people think of the Rangers, Kaapo Kakko will be the first name they mention and not mercenary free agent from Columbus.

I was responding to someone saying 31-32 year old Panarin will be a better player than 21-22 Kakko on his 2nd contract.

f*** that. He will be best player on the team by his 2nd season. That's not a crazy statement. The guy went #2 but he could have gone #1. The guy is an elite level player and the most talented guy to wear a Rangers sweater in a very long time.

dapowl

kaapo kakko.
Aug 22, 2017
Dresden
Based on the trajectory of most comparable players over their careers after signing a contract like Panarin’s, I would venture it is less than likely he will still be performing at an elite level when we’re in our window to compete for a Cup.

Hey Avery, do you have some other examples of similar signings? TY

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Oh my God, give it a rest already. Youve painted him out to be a failure and he hasnt even played one game yet let alone a year, or two, or three, or whatever into his contract.

Its so sad that some here would rather see someone fail just to be able to say they were right. So sad and pathetic.

And the best is those same people have nothing to lose if theyre wrong. They just take the easy way out and say oh well i was wrong, no big deal, i’ll eat crow on that. And thats it. Its the end of the discussion for them. Yet they spent weeks and months even with several posts shoving their very strong opinion down others throats as if it is fact. Sad.

On Friday, Machinehead was discussing the Rangers going back to their old days by signing Panarin. They are supposed to be rebuilding. The Rangers go out and give Panarin a 7 year contract worth $81.5M contract laden with signing bonuses. Buyout proof. The Rangers are married to Panarin.

Reactions: Avery16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad