Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2019/2020) - Tick Tock

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lundquivst doesn’t make things any easier. The writing is on the wall. Meanwhile, Staal is doing nothing more than accepting a paycheck.

The Giants Harry Carson did it the right way. He had some left in the tank yet openly stated that there is a time to move on and let somebody begin their time. No reason to go out on empty.
So you would leave your job early just to leave money on the table?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Totally agree.

I have no doubt when Sather was GM he would make decisions independently of each other with a mindset of “whatever, I’ll burn that bridge when I get there” regarding subsequent moves. (I went to HS with someone who is a well-respected hockey writer these days, and I’ve heard some stories.) But ever since Gorton took over as GM, and especially now that JD is the big boss, I have full confidence that they devote serious time to gaming these things out, same as a normal company plans product rollouts, sales strategies, and R&D timelines.

That’s not to say you don’t take risks that might not work out, or that you might get unlucky, or there won’t be “unforeseen market factors” that can’t cause troubles and force you to adjust — but I refuse to believe they signed Panarin (and Trouba) without a definite plan in place for how to deal with the cap implications this year and next.

I thought the phrase was "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" but in Sather's case I'm sure that WAS INDEED his exact mindset :biglaugh:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I stand by the statement. Kaapo Kakko will be THE main force on the Rangers. It's Kaapo Kakko and the New York Rangers. When people think of the Rangers, Kaapo Kakko will be the first name they mention and not mercenary free agent from Columbus.

I was responding to someone saying 31-32 year old Panarin will be a better player than 21-22 Kakko on his 2nd contract.
The chances of him going 1 were very small. You cannot state what Kakko WILL be. You have no idea. All you have are hopes. Plenty of busts litter the halls.
**** that. He will be best player on the team by his 2nd season. That's not a crazy statement. The guy went #2 but he could have gone #1. The guy is an elite level player and the most talented guy to wear a Rangers sweater in a very long time.
Umm....that is exactly what this is......crazy. How many times has a 19 year old been the best player on his team? In the entire history of the NHL?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’d waive my no-trade clause rather than ignore the writing on the window
Now you are deflecting to a different argument. Your first one was that Staal should walk away from the last two years on his contract, give up the money and retire.

Now you are pivoting to him waiving his no trade clause. Which one of these two things should we be debating?

His family has settled here. He has a young kids in this area. What impetus for him waiving his NTC, which negotiated into his contract?

And what is this writing on the wall to which you refer?

Reactions: Kupo

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Was it smart for Gorton and co. to use a crowbar in Panarin and Trouba to pry open the window when they did? Maybe or maybe not. But there's literally no turning back now.

We made our bed, have to sleep in it and hope for the best.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Now you are deflecting to a different argument. Your first one was that Staal should walk away from the last two years on his contract, give up the money and retire.

Now you are pivoting to him waiving his no trade clause. Which one of these two things should we be debating?

His family has settled here. He has a young kids in this area. What impetus for him waiving his NTC, which negotiated into his contract?

And what is this writing on the wall to which you refer?

Let’s not make this the soap opera. I’m not pivoting or whatever online nonsense people come up with

Our goalie doesn’t waive his NTC despite the entire roster, besides Kreider, being stripped. It’s a full rebuild. He sees the writing but stays put while his salary is hurting the team and obstructing other goalies to get their shot.

Staal - like I said, he’s collecting a paycheck. Nice work Sather.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Was it smart for Gorton and co. to use a crowbar in Panarin and Trouba to pry open the window when they did? Maybe or maybe not. But there's literally no turning back now.

We made our bed, have to sleep in it and hope for the best.
Sometimes a nice feather pillow can make all the difference in the world.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let’s not make this the soap opera. I’m not pivoting or whatever online nonsense people come up with
You mean debating? Far easier to debate points when you don't fee like debating them.
Our goalie doesn’t waive his NTC despite the entire roster, besides Kreider, being stripped. It’s a full rebuild. He sees the writing but stays put while his salary is hurting the team and obstructing other goalies to get their shot.
Staal - like I said, he’s collecting a paycheck. Nice work Sather.
Wait, now Henke should be waiving his no trade clause? I thought we were discussing Staal?

First of all, Henke was not even approached about waiving. So what is the debate here? Are you saying he should just march into Gorton's office and inform him that the NTC is officially waived?

Again, what is the impetus for either player to waive it?

And BTW, while I cannot stand Sather, ANY GM would have given Henke the contract that he received.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Not seeing the cap issues for the team beyond this season. 15+m coming off the books and the only people potentially due an extension are Deangelo and Lemieux, anyone else leaving can easily be replaced from within via ELC or through a cheap depth signing.

Reactions: mschmidt64

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You mean debating? Far easier to debate points when you don't fee like debating them.

Wait, now Henke should be waiving his no trade clause? I thought we were discussing Staal?

First of all, Henke was not even approached about waiving. So what is the debate here? Are you saying he should just march into Gorton's office and inform him that the NTC is officially waived?

Again, what is the impetus for either player to waive it?

And BTW, while I cannot stand Sather, ANY GM would have given Henke the contract that he received.

You seem to be struggling to follow along. Pretty obvious I led with Lundy and then mentioned Staal. So much for a debate you want.

I’ll give you the victory

Back after this . . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad