Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I mean Chytil had pretty much the same exact stat line. Drafted the same exact year.

Sure but Chytil is not a verified 1C/2C either.

He's a 3C at this point and even with that he has to stay on the ice and develop a little more before I'd be comfortable committing to him for that role.

Chytil is a maybe 2C at this point.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I dont think it makes any sense to trade for Eichel if it leads to Zibanejad leaving.

You don't think the 5 year age discrepancy makes any difference?

I do.

I also don't buy Larry Brook's assertion that Zibanejad is a completely better player in all phases. We are talking about a player who scored 87 points for the Sabres.

I believe they can afford both (especially since some of the kids fans likely have earmarked for deals (IE Kakko) will be in the deal if they do it. I did capfriendly and I have the Rangers with both Eichel/Zibanejad some solid depth guys and I still have 7M roll over to next year (for Zibanejad and Fox raises)

Maybe, but in fairness Eichel and Zibanejad play similar skill-based non-heavy games.

If you can get Eichel for, say, Buch, two non-premier prospects, and a first, and then you could move Zibanejad for a prospect like Krebs, and two NHL bangers (one winger, one LD), and then use cap savings to sign Danault, is that not the better use of resources?

Panarin - Eichel - Kakko
Lafreniere - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Danault - Strome
Barron - Rooney - acquired grit forward

pipeline has Krebs as future 2/3C

Just spitballing.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Eichel stuff is starting to feel like Nash felt, inevitable the only question is how much and when. There's so much smoke (even before Dolan has the mandate of playoffs at least next season)

Reactions: Lion Hound

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
There is literally ZERO reason for the Rangers to have to give up Kakko in an Eichel deal.

That situation is deteriorating before our eyes. The guy is injured and his prognosis is uncertain. And he's coming off a season where, despite decent enough looking advanced stats, he had only 2 goals before getting hurt.

He may not even require a Nash package to acquire.

Buch, a first, and a prospect like Jones and another throw-in (low level prospect like Reunanen or Henriksson, or a league player like Howden) is all it should take and even that is a decent haul.

I'm scared because we've got Larry Brooks leaving Kakko off their untouchables list but if Eichel is the target there is literally no sense at all in including Kakko. If someone can beat our non-Kakko offer for Eichel then have at him, but I frankly kinda doubt it.

Brooks left Kakko off the untouchable list? You got the article to read by chance?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Brooks left Kakko off the untouchable list? You got the article to read by chance?

He said it on the Blueshirts Breakaway podcast on Tuesday. Uh, I guess that's yesterday.

He said his impression is that the Rangers have 3 true untouchables: Fox, Shesterkin and Lafreniere. After that he said he thinks they have names they "don't want to trade," but would in the right deal, and he mentioned, notably in this order, Miller, Lindgren, and then Kakko.

And I think there is smoke with the notion that Brooks' insider was Sather and Sather is now back in the saddle more than he was when Gorton was in charge. So his impression of who is on the untouchable list might be coming from someone who has a lot of influence over that list.

Reactions: egelband

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He said it on the Blueshirts Breakaway podcast on Tuesday. Uh, I guess that's yesterday.

He said his impression is that the Rangers have 3 true untouchables: Fox, Shesterkin and Lafreniere. After that he said he thinks they have names they "don't want to trade," but would in the right deal, and he mentioned, notably in this order, Miller, Lindgren, and then Kakko.

And I think there is smoke with the notion that Brooks' insider was Sather and Sather is now back in the saddle more than he was when Gorton was in charge. So his impression of who is on the untouchable list might be coming from someone who has a lot of influence over that list.

ah thanks, not sure I agree with it but I can see that being the case especially if they sign Buchnevich you will have Panarin, Kreider and Buchnevich signed and then Lafraniere thats pretty much the top 6 on the wings. and as long as he's HEALTHY, then Eichel (as a talent) is the kind of person you move a great prospect for (especially if you have others "blocking" him)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Strome at a 5M price tag on a long term contract is a ship that has sailed. Min. 6M, up towards 7M, even with flat cap.
Who can offer him that, though? I just don’t see it happening. He may not take $5m for a long term deal but I can definitely see 2/$10m for example.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
ah thanks, not sure I agree with it but I can see that being the case especially if they sign Buchnevich you will have Panarin, Kreider and Buchnevich signed and then Lafraniere thats pretty much the top 6 on the wings. and as long as he's HEALTHY, then Eichel (as a talent) is the kind of person you move a great prospect for (especially if you have others "blocking" him)

I obviously do not run the Rangers but there would be less than zero percent chance I'd move Kakko unless it's for like, McDavid.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Springsteen wrote the song. First song on his 2nd album. And it blows Manfred coverband Mann out of the water.
That whole album is ridiculously awesome (ridicul-awesome?). Maybe on my personal top ten, which is a very big deal for The Boss ;)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Eichel stuff is starting to feel like Nash felt, inevitable the only question is how much and when. There's so much smoke (even before Dolan has the mandate of playoffs at least next season)
I hear you. Feels like that to me too, a bit. But logistically and logically there are a ton more obstacles to this. First being the injury situation paired with the Rangers looking to be more win-now.
I think Eichel ends up elsewhere. I truly hope Drury’s marching orders don’t include Eichel-at-all-costs. And I can’t believe Drury would accept those orders after so much patience. Doesn’t add up.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I obviously do not run the Rangers but there would be less than zero percent chance I'd move Kakko unless it's for like, McDavid.

I'd move Kakko for plenty of guys including Draisaitl, Makar, Marner, Matthews, ect ect

I just wouldn't trade him for Eichel. Especially not in a package for Eichel.

He's right on the verge of breaking out.

Reactions: egelband

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Is anybody else intrigued about knoblach as Quinn’s replacement? I know it was a small sample size but I liked the feel of the team while he was there.
You liked the feel of the team because Quinn wasn’t here. I’m not sure how much of that was on Knobby and how much was simply coincidence.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
One of the critiques of the Rangers this last season was that they don't have enough shoot-first players.

Eichel is a playmaker. Zibanejad is a shooter.
Zib is also a much “heavier” player than Eichel, even though he doesn’t play “heavy”. The game winner against Washington where he just dummied the defenseman comes to mind. He can play an abrasive game if he wanted to.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Zib is also a much “heavier” player than Eichel, even though he doesn’t play “heavy”. The game winner against Washington where he just dummied the defenseman comes to mind. He can play an abrasive game if he wanted to.

The story on Zibanejad, going back to his D-1 season, was that when he was angry and motivated, he was a bull to try and stop. His size and speed combination can make him a very hard player to contain. The knock was that he was such a chill kid that you didn't consistently get that out of him. You wanted to see it more often.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
One of the critiques of the Rangers this last season was that they don't have enough shoot-first players.

Eichel is a playmaker. Zibanejad is a shooter.
Eichel's shot rate is actually similar to Zibanejad, actually higher at 5v5 since 16-17. So while it's not a perfect comparison just to look at shot rates I don't think it would be a big change altogether.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Second, fair or unfair, the Sabres are perennial losers and Eichel’s the face of the franchise. How much of that losing is on Eichel?

As one of our experts with NHL executive experience said in our “Who says no?” Wild trade proposal evaluation from last month, “You can’t gloss over the fact that he’s been part of a losing culture for a long time. You’re going to conduct your due diligence behind the scenes, talk to as many people as you can, you’ve got to figure out what the issues are and how it ever came to this. And during that process, you’re going to find out a lot more information on the player and you might find something out along the way. Look, he’s a first-line talent. There have been nights where he hasn’t been very good. You can tell he’s frustrated. What is it, the chicken or the egg? Is it the culture and the place that has led to his frustration or the other way around?”

In addition, fair or not, as another executive said in the “Who says no,” story, there’s always been questions behind the scenes regarding Eichel’s character. Guerin will need to investigate that hubbub.

Sounds like the player to put the Rangers over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad