Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
not that it means anything but because of Quinn's time here, Drury, etc the Rangers probably know about Eichel more than most other teams do.

Reactions: egelband

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I don't think the Eichel situation is any different from O'Reilly. I think he'll do plenty fine away from Buffalo. Really hope we dont go trading everybody away though, I'd lean towards trying to re-sign Zib for a few years

Reactions: LokiDog

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If the Rangers were willing to make an offer last offseason that made Buffalo think, I don't think they are too worried about his supposed character issues to keep from trading for him.
I'm particularly interested t0 know what said offer was.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If the Rangers were willing to make an offer last offseason that made Buffalo think, I don't think they are too worried about his supposed character issues to keep from trading for him.

Yeah I dont think they have any worries about character issues to already have made an offer last year.. Also it didn't include the a 1st that year (which was Lafraniere so of course not). I have no idea what the other was though but it was good enough apprarently to make them think

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The story on Zibanejad, going back to his D-1 season, was that when he was angry and motivated, he was a bull to try and stop. His size and speed combination can make him a very hard player to contain. The knock was that he was such a chill kid that you didn't consistently get that out of him. You wanted to see it more often.
Yep. This is exactly the player he is. He seems like a happy, decent person. Very little sociopath in him. :)

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
You don't think the 5 year age discrepancy makes any difference?

I do.

I also don't buy Larry Brook's assertion that Zibanejad is a completely better player in all phases. We are talking about a player who scored 87 points for the Sabres.

Maybe, but in fairness Eichel and Zibanejad play similar skill-based non-heavy games.

If you can get Eichel for, say, Buch, two non-premier prospects, and a first, and then you could move Zibanejad for a prospect like Krebs, and two NHL bangers (one winger, one LD), and then use cap savings to sign Danault, is that not the better use of resources?

Panarin - Eichel - Kakko
Lafreniere - Chytil - Kravtsov
Kreider - Danault - Strome
Barron - Rooney - acquired grit forward

pipeline has Krebs as future 2/3C

Just spitballing.

But you can't trade Zib, he has an NMC. Going for Eichel means letting Zib go for nothing (cap reasons), on top of giving up a respectable haul of player/prospect plus futures. Doesn't make sense to me, unless the Rangers are desperate for a new, patched up, toy.

Reactions: bernmeister

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yeah I dont think they have any worries about character issues to already have made an offer last year.. Also it didn't include the a 1st that year (which was Lafraniere so of course not). I have no idea what the other was though but it was good enough apprarently to make them think
I have to imagine there was someone in there that most people here would loathe giving up. But who knows for sure.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I have to imagine there was someone in there that most people here would loathe giving up. But who knows for sure.

My guess is the Rangers are going to make a trade (or maybe two) and some kids (maybe even Kakko if its a BIG name) is going to go in a deal that fans wont like honestly. I think the Rangers need to change the make up of their team. They have too many wingers who kind of play the same way and if they were to keep Buchnevich that means 2 of Kakko, Kreider, Kravtsov if all still here would be playing in the bottom six. Now thats not necessarily a bad thing, but you have to wonder if they are worth more in trades (depending on who they are)

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I know people are worrying about Kakko, Zibanejead etc since Brooks like to throw names around of who might go, but lets just say hypothetically the Rangers offered Chytil (or Kravtsov), Lundkivist and their 1st this year + maybe some lesser pieces, that would kinda be hard to beat for many teams to beat and the Rangers could afford it. Lunkdvist I thihnk is the biggest piece there if he reaches his potential but even so Rangers have Trouba signed and Fox already plus guys like Schneider waiting. It would take a very strong offer or very strong prospect that most teams wont want to give up to beat it wouldnt you say?

Reactions: ponzu4u

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One of the critiques of the Rangers this last season was that they don't have enough shoot-first players.

Eichel is a playmaker. Zibanejad is a shooter.
Pajuniiiiiiemiiiiiiiiiiiii...
Seriously tho you are not wrong. Plus if we are giving up on a Kakko to get Eichel they better be getting a Krebs like young talented center coming back for Zibby.
Only worry with Zibby like many have on here is how many years is he going to want? if he was Eichel's age and had 4-5 years left I would stay with Zibby but fact is if he wants 6-7 years then gotta do some thinking.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Seriously tho you are not wrong. Plus if we are giving up on a Kakko to get Eichel they better be getting a Krebs like young talented center coming back for Zibby.
Only worry with Zibby like many have on here is how many years is he going to want? if he was Eichel's age and had 4-5 years left I would stay with Zibby but fact is if he wants 6-7 years then gotta do some thinking.

Zibby has an NMC, no?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I saw people mention Zach Hyman in passing reading this thread, what is his next expected AAV?
If I was the Leafs they would be crazy to give up on him but how are they gonna fit him in? He fits that team perfectly. I would say before the covid cap crunch easily 5 million per.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Zibby has an NMC, no?
I believe so but as some have mentioned if he went to serious contender like Vegas I would imagine he would waive no? But on other hand Vegas would want to extend him? How are they on the cap?
So many factors.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

If the Rangers trade Kakko for Eichel I will boil one of my old dress shoes and eat it on livestream.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Zibby has an NMC, no?

But he also has one year left on his contract. There’s no reason not to waive. If the team asks you to waive, they pretty much are saying we’re not re-signing you. Therefore you’re moving on next season regardless. If you have the opportunity to go spend 6 months on a contender and you know you’re going to UFA right after anyway where you can control where you go, why wouldn’t you waive? If you acquired Eichel for some good prospects and then flipped Zib to get back good prospects, that’s not too bad.

Reactions: McSauer

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Boone Jenner would be a good get but his numbers have been in decline over the last two years. Pay appropriately.

I think Jenner actually had a pretty strong year on a very bad team. He was on a 34 point pace this year on a team whose top scorer paced for 64 and second place paced for 50. I think Jenner would be a good bottom six vet depending on the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad