Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think Jenner actually had a pretty strong year on a very bad team. He was on a 34 point pace this year on a team whose top scorer paced for 64 and second place paced for 50. I think Jenner would be a good bottom six vet depending on the cost.

I think NYR will have 2 new Cs and a guy like Jenner is ideal as a 3rd liner

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
not gonna lie, with all of this Eichel discussion, I feel like I'm watching a TV series and waiting for the season finale to reveal which beloved character get's killed and never comes back. Is Kakko going to be the character that gets killed off in this show? I'm not really liking this idea of going after Eichel.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If I was the Leafs they would be crazy to give up on him but how are they gonna fit him in? He fits that team perfectly. I would say before the covid cap crunch easily 5 million per.

yeah likely too much for us with all the wingers we have

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Well I'd bet he won't be resigning in Columbus and Jacket management has been quite open about doing "whatever it takes to land a "Top Center". I think they are going to make a pitch to trade for Jack. They don't have top prospects so I would not be surprised if they approach Kevyn Adam's and Seths name gets tossed around.

We'll see.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Eichel doesn't help the Rangers in any way. He just creates cap problems down the road. He's the guy to come here and put up 55 points with everyone blaming the ice or NYC lifestyle or something.
Where do you see a 25 year old center dropping down to 55 points when he has essentially been a PPG player in his career with an upward trending trajectory? And this on putrid Buffalo teams. Is he going to come to NY with more talent and forget what hockey is?

I can understand concerns over trade costs, salary, and health, but this guy is an elite player.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Where do you see a 25 year old center dropping down to 55 points when he has essentially been a PPG player in his career with an upward trending trajectory? And this on putrid Buffalo teams. Is he going to come to NY with more talent and forget what hockey is?

I can understand concerns over trade costs, salary, and health, but this guy is an elite player.

Strome is like a .85 PPG player playing with Panarin but Eichel is going to put up 55 playing with him

Reactions: mas0764

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

I do have these concerns because he's been injured the last two years, is fairly brittle, a finesse player in a rough division, and as Rangers fans we always hear "x guy is elite and going to help win the Cup" it goes back decades to 1980 with Barry Beck.

The only exceptions are Messier and to a lesser extent Jagr.

Barry Beck and Rick Nash were also elite players before coming to New York, neither from a winning program or with the clutch gene, and while both had success, no Cup.

Eichel isn't even in the same league as either of those guys.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
For those that want an analogy, you already have Mika and you add Eichel. Yes Mika is more of a shooter but do you play both as a 1-2? Neither are physical.

It's adding the same flavor to a cake. You need a Ryan O'Reily or Nazem Kadri type as a 2C if you have one finesse dude.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Even Rick Nash wasn’t that much of a drop off when he got here (87 points to 55 points).

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
For those that want an analogy, you already have Mika and you add Eichel. Yes Mika is more of a shooter but do you play both as a 1-2? Neither are physical.

It's adding the same flavor to a cake. You need a Ryan O'Reily or Nazem Kadri type as a 2C if you have one finesse dude.

Anton Lundell

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

He's also the Captain of that putrid team, he owns some of that too, they haven't played a playoff game with him as captain. I mean every year we hear of him wanting to leave, we never heard this stuff from Mcdavid or Mackinnon when both teams were bad. I like his talent level but there's a stench around him imo and to give up the sort of package Buffalo would need to move him I'm a little nervous of it. Our current roster needs solid leadership coming in, I'm not sure if he helps or hurts in that regard because he hasn't proven that he can help elevate an NHL team.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I do have these concerns because he's been injured the last two years, is fairly brittle, a finesse player in a rough division, and as Rangers fans we always hear "x guy is elite and going to help win the Cup" it goes back decades to 1980 with Barry Beck.

The only exceptions are Messier and to a lesser extent Jagr.

Barry Beck and Rick Nash were also elite players before coming to New York, neither from a winning program or with the clutch gene, and while both had success, no Cup.

Eichel isn't even in the same league as either of those guys.

Eichel isn’t in Nash’s category even? That’s a stretch.

I’d say Eichel is more of a star than Nash ever was.

I think we are starting to get some anti-Eichel propaganda here on the same level as the nonsense we heard about not signing Panarin, because people are afraid of the cost (in cap space or prospects).

It’s a valid concern but let’s stop selling Eichel short.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Even Rick Nash wasn’t that much of a drop off when he got here (87 points to 55 points).
Nash actually had his most productive seasons as a Ranger when you look at p/60 and take into account that league scoring was down from when he was at his most productive in Columbus. Unfortunately he was 28 when we acquired him and at the end of his prime. But we still got 3 great seasons out of him. Eichel would be 25 so I don't understand why he would drop-off unless the injuries are debilitating.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Nash actually had his most productive seasons as a Ranger when you look at p/60 and take into account that league scoring was down from when he was at his most productive in Columbus. Unfortunately he was 28 when we acquired him and at the end of his prime. But we still got 3 great seasons out of him. Eichel would be 25 so I don't understand why he would drop-off unless the injuries are debilitating.

Discs in neck. Stay away.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Eichel isn’t in Nash’s category even? That’s a stretch.

I’d say Eichel is more of a star than Nash ever was.

I think we are starting to get some anti-Eichel propaganda here on the same level as the nonsense we heard about not signing Panarin, because people are afraid of the cost (in cap space or prospects).

It’s a valid concern but let’s stop selling Eichel short.

Nash had been a star for years. Eichel hasn't been around long enough. He's been a great finesse player on garbage teams but that neck injury, the repeated injuries, red flags.

Look at Vancouver as an example. Boseser and Petterson were future HOFers and not so much anymore. Petterson is an excellent young player but again, injuries.

Remember when Filip Forsberg was Rick Middleton? Not so much anymore.

Also Zib + Trouba + Panarin + Eichel roughly 40% of your cap. No bueno.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He's also the Captain of that putrid team, he owns some of that too, they haven't played a playoff game with him as captain. I mean every year we hear of him wanting to leave, we never heard this stuff from Mcdavid or Mackinnon when both teams were bad. I like his talent level but there's a stench around him imo and to give up the sort of package Buffalo would need to move him I'm a little nervous of it. Our current roster needs solid leadership coming in, I'm not sure if he helps or hurts in that regard because he hasn't proven that he can help elevate an NHL team.
I get your premise here but that angle is really hard to play imo — and that is pinning his teams not making the playoffs on him. To me that is quite a reach considering the mess that organization has been with drafting/developing, the coaching carousel, PR nightmares from players wanting out (O’Reilly) and another just abandoning the team (Berglund), and being better off with a shooter tutor than what they have had in net over the last several years, among other things. Meanwhile Eichel has shown up and produced with minimal talent around him. Even if you could say he has X or Y as a linemate, the team has had no depth and so even with the opposition really only having to focus in on him thats impressive.

I just don’t see any of that as a black mark on him. And because of all of those factors, I don’t blame him for wanting out and making it public. Edmonton and Colorado are different organizations. They are more reputable, but even aside from that they haven’t been the PR Circus nightmare Buffalo has been...and thats with Edmonton missing when having multiple top 5 picks in a short amount of time.

If his medicals check out, I would still be interested. I do worry about the cap hit and the acquisition cost. If the acquisition cost is reasonable, meaning no Kakko or Lafreniere, then I am fine with it. If they can get BUF to retain $1-$2 million per year, even better.

I think this is just inevitable. Brooks’ hope for Tkachuk is a pipe dream. This is reality. And I LOVE Tkachuk. Trade for Eichel. Move out salary elsewhere. Sign veterans on good deals to fill out the bottom 6 that actually have a resume and make us deeper. Not the Kevin Rooney’s of the world.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

It's the "Same Old Rangers" syndrome, I can't blame him for having Rick Nash PTSD and projecting that on to Eichel.

Hell I'm having the same thoughts about Francisco Lindor at this moment.

And then I'll descend into permanent madness if Darnold is a Pro Bowl QB in Carolina.

Reactions: McRanger92

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I think this is just inevitable. Brooks’ hope for Tkachuk is a pipe dream. This is reality. And I LOVE Tkachuk. Trade for Eichel. Move out salary elsewhere. Sign veterans on good deals to fill out the bottom 6 that actually have a resume and make us deeper. Not the Kevin Rooney’s of the world.

Tkachuk apparently will cost the Flames $9 million next year in QO, then he's free to go to UFA (according to some post I read on here).

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The stars have come into alignment for this Ranger’s team in the upcoming 2021 draft.
As long as we don’t trade away our pick I believe we can draft no lower than 15.
At that position there is a good chance we can pick a center who could step into lineup.
Most of the top players projected to go early are defenseman, wingers and one goalie.
At 15 we could be looking at Aatu Raty, Mason MacTavish, Chaz Lucius, Francisco Pinnelli and Zachary L’Heureux.
So our Center problems could be short lived.
I’m looking forward to the next three draft years as a Ranger fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad