Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know he tore his ACL in Jan of 2020 iirc and way back when like 14-15 or maybe 15-16 he also had a knee injury.

he’s had one knee operated on twice and ACL reconstruction on both.

ACL tears on their own aren’t a big deal. The fact that he’s torn both and has consistently had issues with his knees scares me.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

ACL tears on their own aren’t a big deal. The fact that he’s torn both and has consistently had issues with his knees scares me.

Well he did play 77 and and 79 before 2020 when he tore his ACL. Another good thing I like about him is he also produces in the playoffs (.69 PPG). I think the knee injuries (because he played well this season off of it) and has overcome them before are a lesser concern with trading for Eichel with all the who knows what the hell is going on there.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Mika/Hertl as the 1/2 punch at center really fits nicely with the strength they have on the wings. Id be open to moving one of Chytil/Kravtsov if they feel they can get Hertl signed long term

Reactions: Lundsanity30

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Mika/Hertl as the 1/2 punch at center really fits nicely with the strength they have on the wings. Id be open to moving one of Chytil/Kravtsov if they feel they can get Hertl signed long term

Yeah I dont at all make the trade for one season, has to come with an extension.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
"So, one protection slot left among Brett Howden, Colin Blackwell, Kevin Rooney and Gauthier, with the others primed for selection."

I don't even think it should be much of a discussion. Protect the younger player who has more talent and upside (i.e. Gauthier) than the others.

To be honest, I don’t think we have any room for Gauthier in the lineup. We need guys that will stand up for each other and play with an attitude. Maybe Gauthier could have been that guy with another coach, maybe not. But we just don’t have roster spots to waste on someone like him.

Reactions: Ori

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Yeah zero interest in that. I wouldn’t want to sign him even as a free agent, let alone trade assets for him and give him an anchor.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
To be honest, I don’t think we have any room for Gauthier in the lineup. We need guys that will stand up for each other and play with an attitude. Maybe Gauthier could have been that guy with another coach, maybe not. But we just don’t have roster spots to waste on someone like him.

It doesn't help a guy like that to get that into his game when he has to look over his own shoulder every shift to see if Quinn is already benching him. If you want a guy to play aggressively like that, you have to give him some lease to take penalty minutes, overcommit to something and learn for himself what he's capable of. Gauthier showed a big improvement this year just taking the puck directly to the net, as well as making safer plays at the bluelines. He could still learn to play a grittier game, but to have attitude, you need... wait for it... swagger, not a nitpicking micromanager up your ass.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Rangers can't keep Lafraniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil and give them the minutes all 4 deserve or the linemates, something has to give, also Rangers need an upgrade from Strome to someone who can provide the same points (or more) but also play a much better two way game and drive possession and win face offs.

Reactions: Ori

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Edge Id venture to guess the deadline deal that fell through was a Sam Bennett trade, considering theres been lots of smoke between rangers and calgary for bennett and other players, and sather saw what he brought to florida immediately and that contributed to gorton's downfall. Am I far off the mark here?

Calgary is the first team that came to mind.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hertl is a very good player when healthy and would slot in really nicely in our top-six. That being said, he's not the guy you're landing to stick behind Zibanejad. Not when he has 1 year remaining before Group III status and could absolutely put up a PPG with our wingers next season. He'd easily price himself out of what we could afford. Zib and Hertl can't co-exist on this roster while they're both making north of $8m a piece.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Rangers can't keep Lafraniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil and give them the minutes all 4 deserve or the linemates, something has to give, also Rangers need an upgrade from Strome to someone who can provide the same points (or more) but also play a much better two way game and drive possession and win face offs.
Why? The easiest solution is to simply move Strome and give him Chytil’s minutes because everything about Chytil’s underlying play suggests that he’s more than capable of taking that next step. Plus, if you look at his overall skill set and combination of size and speed, we’d be absolutely braindead to move him.
Laf and Kakko both comfortably have spots in the top-6 next year, while Krav can be the 3RW.

I genuinely don’t understand (not directed at you) why there’s this immediate need to try to have so much roster turnover when the pieces are already largely in place. This is a very good young roster than just needs to solidify its bottom 6 and 3rd defensive pairing. A lot of this seems like an overreaction just for the sake of change, when we’d be better off just being patient and letting this group continue to grow. Don’t get caught in the trap of overpaying for glue/grit guys like so many younger teams have done in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad