Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
If we got Danault, where would he slot? Is he capable of playing 2C? I know he's got good numbers, but what line/s is he/has he been playing on in his career? The higher you move up the tougher the defense/lines of the opposing team gets as well.
danault has consistently faced the most difficult forwards in the league. I have no doubt he can play anywhere in the lineup

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If the Rangers sign Buchnevich to a long term deal because he seemed to put it all together this past season including his 2 way play, PK work etc, then what do we do with Chytil/Kravtsov, how do both ever get into the top 6 for where they were drafted?

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Don’t want Hurtl. In case you didn’t get it, he’s never healthy. Having more dead cap is not smart.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Pass on Hertl. He is an older version of Chytil that gets hurt more often.

Yes the pace argument. I watched him long enough being from San Jose. If Chytil gets better in the dot, they are similar players. He's good, but he gets hurt too often for the money he will get and for what people are relying on him to do.

The only thing Hertl & Chytil have in common is they are both great skaters from the Czech republic. They're playing styles are nothing alike. Hertl is a bull in a china shop who is almost impossible to separate from the puck one on one. He's also a natural center, where the verdict on Chytil is still out whether he's wing or not.

I'm not saying I'd like to give up Chytil in a swap for Hertl, but I would love to add Hertl to our roster & see if Chtyil develops into a center while rounding out his game.

Reactions: MrAlmost

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we got Danault, where would he slot? Is he capable of playing 2C? I know he's got good numbers, but what line/s is he/has he been playing on in his career? The higher you move up the tougher the defense/lines of the opposing team gets as well.
He plays against the hardest competition. That's why he doesn't score that much. He will be the value steal of free agency.

He does everything at an elite level except one thing and that one thing is the most expensive thing in the sport.

186273353_10208712214200949_7422014998411284298_n.jpg

Teams are willing to pay 7-8m a year just for the right side of this chart. Ask Patrik Laine. The left side has more impact and constitutes more minutes.

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
If the Rangers sign Buchnevich to a long term deal because he seemed to put it all together this past season including his 2 way play, PK work etc, then what do we do with Chytil/Kravtsov, how do both ever get into the top 6 for where they were drafted?

Kreider goes to the third line and Kravtsov moves up. Chytil same thing if he makes improvements at center. They both have to earn it like everyone else, I imagine the Rangers will find a coach that will prioritize the kids anyways

Reactions: bernmeister

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He plays against the hardest competition. That's why he doesn't score that much. He will be the value steal of free agency.

He does everything at an elite level except one thing and that one thing is the most expensive thing in the sport.

186273353_10208712214200949_7422014998411284298_n.jpg

Teams are willing to pay 7-8m a year just for the right side of this chart. Ask Patrik Laine. The left side has more impact and constitutes more minutes.

So would this be something like Bergeron/Krejci if they had Zibanejad and Danault? How does Danault play? The knock on strome is easy to play against, weak on draws, and bad defensively. He does seem like a significant upgrade in those departments, and playing with Panarin should add more points to him too.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So would this be something like Bergeron/Krejci if they had Zibanejad and Danault? How does Danault play? The knock on strome is easy to play against, weak on draws, and bad defensively. He does seem like a significant upgrade in those departments, and playing with Panarin should add more points to him too.
Bergeron at even strength is not a bad comp.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Kreider goes to the third line and Kravtsov moves up. Chytil same thing if he makes improvements at center. They both have to earn it like everyone else, I imagine the Rangers will find a coach that will prioritize the kids anyways

Again, we have to be realistic, the Rangers just fired everyone because its moving too slow, they're likely not going to give Chytil a shot at the 2C maybe ever whether they should or not. Also, the forwards all play a kind of similar game which is again another issue they had a problem with.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
The only thing Hertl & Chytil have in common is they are both great skaters from the Czech republic. They're playing styles are nothing alike. Hertl is a bull in a china shop who is almost impossible to separate from the puck one on one. He's also a natural center, where the verdict on Chytil is still out whether he's wing or not.

I'm not saying I'd like to give up Chytil in a swap for Hertl, but I would love to add Hertl to our roster & see if Chtyil develops into a center while rounding out his game.

That's fair. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of what Chytil might become if he continues to get better as a center.(Faceoffs, defense, corner boardwork and net front presence)

Hertl was in a similar vein when he was younger. He entered the league a little older though which I think would have helped Chytil too.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not sure what Buch has to do with Chytil, considering they don't play the same position. As far as Kravtsov, you worry about that when he shows he's ready for a 1st or 2nd line role.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
trade Strome, Chytil future 2C. Laf bumps to 1LW, Kreider down to 3rd line. Buch gets traded Kakko and Kravstov both get top 6 minutes.

idk - it’s still a highly skilled and finesse top six that way. And Kreider is more costly than physical buried on the third line.

A physical player on either line one or two drops skill to line three and Kreider.

It’s a tough puzzle.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

I feel like getting Danault is a Turris 2.0 level mistake.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They all play too similar, they dont have much bite to their game, they aren't very good defensively yet, and yes I get they are young, but they also fired Gorton/JD and Quinn because it was moving too slow and they are too easy to play against. There will be some turnover its inevitable, the way to go about it is to not lose too much skill to do so.
Don’t you think it’s a bit early to making those types of conclusions about these players? Plus, a lot of what you’re mentioning is a systemic issue that gets fixed with a new head coach, i.e. Gallant.

You mention not losing too much skill in this process, yet the four guys you mentioned are among our most skilled players. Sorry, I really just don’t agree with your overall evaluation of the types of moves we should make. Plus, it wasn’t the kids that disappeared when the games got harder this year.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I like Hertl, yet without an extension in place the Rangers would be trading for a player with a year left who then would drive the contract negotiations.

Rangers post trade either extend him to pretty much what he could get on the open market on the high end, or they do what? Not extend someone they just traded assets for? Trade him again for less than they traded for him?

I mean if post trade, where the Rangers just gave up Miller, or Chytil or whatever, and he asks for 9M for 7 years what do the Rangers do if he won't budge?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Don’t you think it’s a bit early to making those types of conclusions about these players? Plus, a lot of what you’re mentioning is a systemic issue that gets fixed with a new head coach, i.e. Gallant.

You mention not losing too much skill in this process, yet the four guys you mentioned are among our most skilled players. Sorry, I really just don’t agree with your overall evaluation of the types of moves we should make. Plus, it wasn’t the kids that disappeared when the games got harder this year.

They mighit get it, but they dont have it now and its pretty obvious the Rangers are looking for some of those traits now other wise they wouldn't have fired everyone. Its what Dolan or Sather or both or all including Drury seem to want. I'd be fine keeping the rebuild going, the Rangers I dont think are

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We could be kicking ourselves in the ass if Kakko nor Kravtsov develop into him and we let him walk and he keeps getting better.

If Kakko doesn't become better than Buchnevich then we're in trouble anyway.

I doubt Buch gets better. He faded pretty hard down the stretch as it was. I'm okay if they Qualify him and go from there, but extending him long term would be a mistake IMO.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I like Hertl, yet without an extension in place the Rangers would be trading for a player with a year left who then would drive the contract negotiations.

Rangers post trade either extend him to pretty much what he could get on the open market on the high end, or they do what? Not extend someone they just traded assets for? Trade him again for less than they traded for him?

I mean if post trade, where the Rangers just gave up Miller, or Chytil or whatever, and he asks for 9M for 7 years what do the Rangers do if he won't budge?

You only do it with an extension agreed to.

Reactions: Off Sides

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Outside of 2020, he has played 77 and 79 games out of 82 and he played 50 out of 56 this year to be fair. Thats not getting hurt "too often" in the last 4 years.
Danault is an excellent third line center. His offensive numbers have been in decline for several years now. I would love to have him for 3C, but now you want to pay him 2C money for a long term deal at 28?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad