Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Hertl is a very good player when healthy and would slot in really nicely in our top-six. That being said, he's not the guy you're landing to stick behind Zibanejad. Not when he has 1 year remaining before Group III status and could absolutely put up a PPG with our wingers next season. He'd easily price himself out of what we could afford. Zib and Hertl can't co-exist on this roster while they're both making north of $8m a piece.

You sign him to an extension or you dont make the trade. They can afford both Zibanejad and Hertl, why does no one think this can be done when teams who won cups did it plenty? (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, etc)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My understanding is that Danault just turned down a very generous offer from Montreal.

Makes me caddy about his UFA demands.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Machinehead just curious as to why you are wanting us to get Danault so badly? Don’t know much about him. But to be fair I don’t give two shits about any Canadian teams so I don’t follow any of the players.
50+ point player, Selke-level defender, LH shot, on the smaller side but not shy, can cycle. Stylistically, he's everything Zibanejad and Strome aren't and will diversify our lineup significantly.

And here's the sauce: in his entire career, he has 1 powerplay goal and 11 assists. That's not a typo. He has TWELVE ass powerplay points. That sounds like a negative, but here's my rule: 40% of NHL salaries are powerplay points.

This guy is a bonafide superstar at 5-on-5 and $6.5m is a discount for how good he is the majority of the game. And we have PP guys. It's not a need.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Why? The easiest solution is to simply move Strome and give him Chytil’s minutes because everything about Chytil’s underlying play suggests that he’s more than capable of taking that next step. Plus, if you look at his overall skill set and combination of size and speed, we’d be absolutely braindead to move him.
Laf and Kakko both comfortably have spots in the top-6 next year, while Krav can be the 3RW.

I genuinely don’t understand (not directed at you) why there’s this immediate need to try to have so much roster turnover when the pieces are already largely in place. This is a very good young roster than just needs to solidify its bottom 6 and 3rd defensive pairing. A lot of this seems like an overreaction just for the sake of change, when we’d be better off just being patient and letting this group continue to grow. Don’t get caught in the trap of overpaying for glue/grit guys like so many younger teams have done in recent years.

They all play too similar, they dont have much bite to their game, they aren't very good defensively yet, and yes I get they are young, but they also fired Gorton/JD and Quinn because it was moving too slow and they are too easy to play against. There will be some turnover its inevitable, the way to go about it is to not lose too much skill to do so.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Rangers can't keep Lafraniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil and give them the minutes all 4 deserve or the linemates, something has to give, also Rangers need an upgrade from Strome to someone who can provide the same points (or more) but also play a much better two way game and drive possession and win face offs.

trade Strome, Chytil future 2C. Laf bumps to 1LW, Kreider down to 3rd line. Buch gets traded Kakko and Kravstov both get top 6 minutes.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
50+ point player, Selke-level defender, LH shot, on the smaller side but not shy, can cycle. Stylistically, he's everything Zibanejad and Strome aren't and will diversify our lineup significantly.

And here's the sauce: in his entire career, he has 1 powerplay goal and 11 assists. That's not a typo. He has TWELVE ass powerplay points. That sounds like a negative, but here's my rule: 40% of NHL salaries are powerplay points.

This guy is a bonafide superstar at 5-on-5 and $6.5m is a discount for how good he is the majority of the game. And we have PP guys. It's not a need.

I didn't realize he has put up 50 points before, just checked he did so with Montreal

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

This all reads like better Carl Hagelin but a center.

Hags has a spectacular 2 career powerplay points.

Reactions: frozenrubber

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At even strength, Danault is better than Eichel. Not better factoring in contacts, just capital-B Better period exclamation point.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I agree with the sentiment that the best depth players available will almost never be worth their contracts.

in the past, our best depth pickups, when not replacing in house, have been bargain bin guys, and players under the radar. Guys like Grabner, Pouliot, Stalberg, Boyle, Moore. Meanwhile in that same time frame the islanders gave 6 million dollars to Andrew Ladd. the Oilers gave 6 million to Milan Lucic. Vancouver gave 3M per to Jay f***ing Beagle.

it’s been proven that paying top dollar for depth is bad business

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Just playing Devil's Advocate, but maybe he just doesn't want to stay in Montreal.

I'd wager he signs for something close to that, if not less in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Danault to RNH. But part of that preference is that he'd have to be paid less.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Danault to RNH. But part of that preference is that he'd have to be paid less.
For sure. Not even a contest. RNH is going to get paid handsomely because of riding the coat tails of McDavid and Drai on the powerplay. He's painfully average otherwise.

As has been brought up, Danault is exactly what this team needs up the middle, but his salary cap hit is a concern. Strome will certainly have to be dealt for futures to fit him in.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
... He's scored at around a 65-75 point pace for three years, and last I checked wins about 15% more draws than Chytil

Yes the pace argument. I watched him long enough being from San Jose. If Chytil gets better in the dot, they are similar players. He's good, but he gets hurt too often for the money he will get and for what people are relying on him to do.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
For sure. Not even a contest. RNH is going to get paid handsomely because of riding the coat tails of McDavid and Drai on the powerplay. He's painfully average otherwise.

As has been brought up, Danault is exactly what this team needs up the middle, but his salary cap hit is a concern. Strome will certainly have to be dealt for futures to fit him in.
But yeah, to expand on this, we need some Glen Sather f***ery to get someone like Peyton Krebs or Anton Lundell out of Vegas or Florida for Strome straight up if either or both lose in the first round and they look for firepower to make a run next year.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yes the pace argument. I watched him long enough being from San Jose. If Chytil gets better in the dot, they are similar players. He's good, but he gets hurt too often for the money he will get and for what people are relying on him to do.

Outside of 2020, he has played 77 and 79 games out of 82 and he played 50 out of 56 this year to be fair. Thats not getting hurt "too often" in the last 4 years.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If we got Danault, where would he slot? Is he capable of playing 2C? I know he's got good numbers, but what line/s is he/has he been playing on in his career? The higher you move up the tougher the defense/lines of the opposing team gets as well.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Outside of 2020, he has played 77 and 79 games out of 82 and he played 50 out of 56 this year to be fair. Thats not getting hurt "too often" in the last 4 years.

While he played those whole seasons, one wasnt so great coming from offseason rehab. The other was a legitimately great season. That is what Im saying, he didn't miss that many games, but he was hurt and played through. It shows in his inconsistency from year to year.

Now if you tell me we are going to get him for Strome and another piece that isnt too much, and he will resign for 6 mil, yeah I am game for that. He is a solid 200-foot player.

However, like Stamkos, your on edge every moment hoping something doesn't go wrong. Don't we already worry about Z enough? haha

EDIT: Also, Wilson is always seeming to go for it or retool quickly. He might want to do something with Strome and Buch. Never know with that guy.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If we got Danault, where would he slot? Is he capable of playing 2C? I know he's got good numbers, but what line/s is he/has he been playing on in his career? The higher you move up the tougher the defense/lines of the opposing team gets as well.
100%. I'd be happy to go to war with Zib, Danault, and Chytil up the middle and if Strome out for Danault is the only change made in the top 9 personnel this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad