Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Sure, yet again I think these past couple days have shown that a lot more can happen than some people think.

Let me ask this, where does Kreider play should Panarin and Laff stay? Is he still top 6 even strength? Will the PP set-up change now?

If he does stay top 6 which one of Panarin or Laff is not?
Before this season I said ck would be the 3rd line lw by the end of it. That's his long term spot on this roster and people still need to stop micro-analyzing the view of the roster as line 1 2 3 4, and realize that with the players we have and the depth it is going to be about "the top 9" and pp units. Trying to assign line numbers to our top 9 is silly. Is strome a 2c? Is panarin a 2lw? If you're assigning line numbers than either both are true or both are false, and if you say they are false you're also saying strome is a 1c here. ck is going to settle into that spot on the lw to fill out the top 9 w laf and panarin until his clause opens up some options and we can accept that or keep dilluting ourselves

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Off season shopping list;

1. Veteran left hand defenseman with some bite and short contract. Matthias Ekholm would be perfect. Mark Giordano is a nice alternative.

2. Center who can win face offs and bring some bite. Barclays Goodrow please.

3. At least one winger with some sandpaper. Heavyweight standing not a requirement but would be nice. This could go in a lot of different directions. It could also be more than one

4. Monetize some of the players at/near the end of their ELCs who do not figure in the long term plans of the team. I’ll take some more lottery tickets please, especially this year.

1. I think you're aiming too high there. We don't need a top pairing guy, or even a borderline one like either of those guys. Ian Cole or Jamie Oleksiak fits the bill for what we need just fine.

2. Yes.

3. I think it's going to have to be a trade. There are few free agents that fit that bill.

4. I'm not a fan of trading kids to get draft picks. Try to get a player.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I still think that ideally Chytil would be on the wing, but be an option if you need a C in a pinch due to injuries or whatever. I’m probably in the minority though with that opinion. Of course the issue is still finding better C’s although I’m still fine with Strome short term.
That may be 100% true. For the first few games of the season he was their best C. Maybe full time is too much or he is still growing into it. On this team his best chance to stay in the lineup is at C. I will let smarter people than me figure that out. I always played wing so I understand that a lot more than C. I was always lost filling in at C.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Sure, yet again I think these past couple days have shown that a lot more can happen than some people think.

Let me ask this, where does Kreider play should Panarin and Laff stay? Is he still top 6 even strength? Will the PP set-up change now?

If he does stay top 6 which one of Panarin or Laff is not?

He was a bad signing.

Sadly, with that contract it’s going to be very difficult to find a perfect fit for both him and an opposing team. You hate to say ‘never’ but I’d get used to the idea of him being here long term.

Reactions: Off Sides

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
on top of some grit and a more complete roster one thing i think we could desperately use is someone with elite speed that can back teams off as soon as he has the puck. like you see barzal, hughes, point get it and they can change the game just with the pace they play at - it can shift the entire balance of coverage in an instant. now we aren't likely to get an elite player that can skate like that, but guys like hagelin, helm, anasthasiou, motte - adding that to your lineup can add so much. typically just because of their skating they can slot up and down a lineup. but more importantly they can make your whole team look faster. we're a fast team, but we don't always look like it because we don't have anyone who pushes the pace of the game and really backs teams off with speed - chytil sometimes, kreider not so much because its just straight line. adding a guy like that can be huge for breaking tight games open and creating some space to operate in. the guys i mentioned aren't necessarily who i'd target, just some examples of the type. as the whole world sees we need to add some sandpaper, and we do, thats a player type i'd consider just as vital in balancing a complete roster.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think in our situation, he'd be a great fit. I'm not convinced we need an elite offensive 1C, just a competent one.
I don't agree. To really catapult into the elite tier of the league I think it will require having an elite center on line 1. Behind that there's less of a need for a dominant offensive force as we saw with Chicago, but you need at least 1. Ideally the Rangers could somehow come out with Eichel/Larkin 1-2 down the middle, although it would require a ton of assets so it's unlikely obviously.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
1. I think you're aiming too high there. We don't need a top pairing guy, or even a borderline one like either of those guys. Ian Cole or Jamie Oleksiak fits the bill for what we need just fine.

2. Yes.

3. I think it's going to have to be a trade. There are few free agents that fit that bill.

4. I'm not a fan of trading kids to get draft picks. Try to get a player.
The thing I like about Giordano or Ekholm is that it’s a one year commitment to buy time and both teams have protection problems for the expansion draft. I don’t think either is a top pair guy right now but they both could be a great mentor for Lundkvist.

With guys like Gauthier, Hajek and Howden, I want to get something back before they have to go through waivers next year. I wouldn’t mind players but however we can monetize them is fine with me,

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Danault would’ve potentially been a nice middle 6 center, but you have to think he prices himself out. Someone will bite and overpay.
yes he is gonna earn about 1.5 million dollars for every goal he scores.
sure terrific defensive player but wouldn't offer him more than 2.5-3 million per.
Like you said someone will probably bite and overpay

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
One of my new biggest fears is that even if acquire a stud player that we will keep Zibanejad as 1 year self rental to "go for it" rather than trade him to recoup assets

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If there were ever any doubt Sather is firmly back in the mix it is plain as day in the tone, nuggets dropped, and all around confidence projected in Brooks’ writing lately.
Larry I hope they bought you dinner first.

This bit made me dry heave...if they think the solution here is building around Zibanejad as if he is an elite 1C...that’s all she wrote for this “rebuild”:

A cease-and-desist order should be issued as well to stop the constant measurement of whether (and how far) the Rangers are or were ahead of schedule. If they were, or are, it is because of the 2019 signing of free agent Artemi Panarin and the explosion into elite status of Mika Zibanejad (and much more about No. 93 in the days and weeks to come).

Just screams start of a multi article sales pitch ahead of big extension for Zibanejad. Hope to hell I’m wrong.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I get that there are pressures with modern journalism, but wtf is this crap? Either provide some details or just shut up, don't throw random teasers out for speculative purposes. Have some respect for yourself and what your profession could at least try to be...

Real journalism died with paywalls. It's all about clickbait and convincing people to pony up a few bucks

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
The thing I like about Giordano or Ekholm is that it’s a one year commitment to buy time and both teams have protection problems for the expansion draft. I don’t think either is a top pair guy right now but they both could be a great mentor for Lundkvist.

With guys like Gauthier, Hajek and Howden, I want to get something back before they have to go through waivers next year. I wouldn’t mind players but however we can monetize them is fine with me,

Could Chiarot from Montreal be an option? They have 4 defenders they likely would protect in Weber, Petry, Edmundson and Chiarot. (I think he also have one year left.) Or maybe they need someone to expose?

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
what would people think about trading for Hertl from the sharks to be the #2 center?
I would love it. But he is going to be 29 next year, hitting UFA for the first time. Who knows how much he will want and what term. Being a ppg player, he is gonna get a nice fat contract in free agency from someone. Mika is the same age and also UFA in a year.

Trying to convince both of them not to go to UFA and sign team favorable deals would be a headache, I would imagine.

Trying to trade for Larkin would be a better option and not necessarily more expensive.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Chytils putting up a 40 pt pace with no pp time and third line mins. He’s exactly what Drury is talking about. He’s miscast.

he’s a 3C on this team no pp time and expected to me more of a defensive player.

it’s not who he is. If he’s a 2C with PP time he’s most likely a 55 plus point player. Is that with us? May not be. Not with Strome here and or trading for a star center to compliment Mika.

I’d really like to see him in the 2C spot with pp time which is what we should have been doing THIS season. Seeing things like that but no Quinn Refused

I'm not saying you, but this is where we get a mixed narrative from a lot of people. On one hand, people will complain that we didn't force feed kids time to develop because in HF more time always leads to better development like an EA sports game, but 10 minutes later they want Quinn fired because NYR didn't make the playoffs. You can't have it both ways. Obviously, they tried to make the playoffs while playing the kids and trying not to force them into spots they weren't ready for.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad