Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
@rangers1314
The big take away, or maybe I'm reading into it too much, was this:

Coveted throughout his tenure. Kind of explains his roster decisions and minute distribution. Quinn shouldn't covet anyone. He should develop the raw talent he was given instead of burying people he doesn't value.
Essentially validation for a large contingent of people here complaining about his deployment of the kids. We’ve been shouted down relentlessly by the “adults in the room”, but wouldn’t you know, smoke, fire, etc.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
an we stop the trade Kreider posts or will this be another off season of the SOS. He isn't going anywhere why can't people realize this and turn to more constructive discussions.

Why not discuss him, Gorton and JD were fired and no one predicted that one, if that can happen who is to say that Kreider can not be moved?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's really tough to speculate anything with the directions they could go. Pretty much a wishlist at this point since they have assets and veterans that could be moved. Only Panarin, Trouba, and Kreider are locked in.

I'm asking they work on having the following:
  • Morgan Barron being able to play up and down the lineup. Drury mentioned roles, but in his AHL time and small NHL time, I've seen a player that is not difficult to play with. He hits, has skill, and works hard. I wouldn't come close to moving him.
  • Find a physical center to play with Panarin. We seem to rely upon the winger on that line to do the dirty work. We need a center for that role. Kakko or Kravtsov need to be on that line. If they aren't, and Buchnevich is on the roster, we have issues.
  • Find an actual LHD that is a veteran and still good. Smith was decent, but an upgrade is needed. No more Hajek, no more Jack Johnson. If Lundkvist is the 3RD, I'd like a vet he could play with.
  • The ability for guys like Rooney and Blackwell to be spares. We need legit depth. Rooney and Blackwell are good players, but improving on them is needed. Paying up on the short term to get the 3rd and 4th lines better will help this team get to another level.
  • Establish a backup goalie. Georgiev was up and down. We need a stable goalie behind Shesterkin that can be relied upon. I would look to move out Georgiev and get a veteran to pair with Shesterkin that will be more reliable.
I do foresee a big trade this offseason. Not every kid will be able to get onto the NHL team. They need to evaluate and determine who the pieces they want are while being able to restock the system in return. The good news is the system is pretty balanced. Center is a spot they can address in the draft so in 3-4 years someone is ready to roll.

It's really open ended for Drury, and he cannot undo the work of the last 4 years.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Whatever some of youz would offer for Eichel... ( even though I'd never offer it ) I'd offer for Barkov.

Maybe an EDM collapse leads to a trade request? IF they can't win with McDavid going godmode... they are not going to win.

The vet route? Toews or Kopitar?

Move Strome or Zibs, bump Chytil or Kravtsov and trade for Copp?

FLA isn't trading Barkov, not with the team as competitive as they are. They'll resign him or self-rent and go for the glory.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Why not discuss him, Gorton and JD were fired and no one predicted that one, if that can happen who is to say that Kreider can not be moved?
Because he signed a NTC meaning unless he says yes they can't trade him. He just completed Year 1 of his new deal and these posts have been non stop since he signed the new deal. It is not realistic plain and simple.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I don't get the posts saying to move FC to number 2 center when he hasn't shown the consistent ability to play the position. His playmaking and awareness on the ice need a lot more improvement before this discussion takes place. I am still not convinced that wing isn't a better position for him.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The Gorton/JD firing was so unfortunate. I dont buy into some of the doom and gloom about this roster. We saw this group play some tremendous games against great teams. Middle of the season they won a game against the Bruins where they came out hitting absolutely everything, it was the hardest I've seen them play under DQ since he's been here. Leave out the Flyers mobbing with Knoblauch they played 2 super tight games against Washington under him and took 1 of them. Do think this group underperformed a bit. Between the Zib stuff, the Panarin thing, some injuries, the coaching deficiencies... I think they could use a talented utility guy but the main thing is, we know this is a young team. This group will move when the kids do. Panarin and Zib will only carry this team so far. As for the grittyness and toughness... thing that bothers me is, we may need to add a bit to that element in the future but its overblown some... again that will move as the kids do, I think Laf, Kakko and Krav all will add that element as they mature. Thats in addition to guys like Lindgren, Trouba & Buch. Like others said this wasn't a finished product, they added some prospects in the pipeline that bring that game. I like what we have in this group. The biggest things to me are, hire a competent coach, move expendable guys and add a good utility player

Reactions: leetch99

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I don't get the posts saying to move FC to number 2 center when he hasn't shown the consistent ability to play the position. His playmaking and awareness on the ice need a lot more improvement before this discussion takes place. I am still not convinced that wing isn't a better position for him.
Hard to show consistent ability when you don't get consistent playing time and 99 % of the time, you are the veteran on your line at just 21. Put him with some more experienced linemates and you will se he looks much better. He looked terrific on the first line when Mika was injured last season. But for some reason, Quinn just never gave him a long look at 2C instead of Strome. But when he did, he did not seem out of place. Instead, he got his average TOI slashed to career low this season.

Reactions: BobSantos

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Because he signed a NTC meaning unless he says yes they can't trade him. He just completed Year 1 of his new deal and these posts have been non stop since he signed the new deal. It is not realistic plain and simple.
Hornqvist waived his clause after year 2 of his new contract.

Look, I agree that there is slim to no chance of him getting traded this year. But the more people insist he won't be traded, I can't help but think of all the experts last February insisting the cap would go up every season and there would be plenty of space for CK.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
an we stop the trade Kreider posts or will this be another off season of the SOS. He isn't going anywhere why can't people realize this and turn to more constructive discussions.
He’s from Massachusetts and they’re a much better team. It’s threading a needle, but it doesn’t seem out of the question.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I have only two issues with Fil: faceoffs and his desire to try and stick handle through 3 guys at the blue line.

I still think that ideally Chytil would be on the wing, but be an option if you need a C in a pinch due to injuries or whatever. I’m probably in the minority though with that opinion. Of course the issue is still finding better C’s although I’m still fine with Strome short term.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
@rangers1314
The big take away, or maybe I'm reading into it too much, was this:

Coveted throughout his tenure. Kind of explains his roster decisions and minute distribution. Quinn shouldn't covet anyone. He should develop the raw talent he was given instead of burying people he doesn't value.

I feel like this is a bit of a false narrative? Who was buried? The young guys have gotten good ice time, but at the same time he wasn’t frying to force things. Fox gets a ton of ice. Miller too. Kakko and Lafreniere played plenty - neither were ever relegated to the 4th line if I remember correctly. I would’ve liked to see them get some more PP time, but they were hardly buried.

FWIW I have no issue moving on from DQ but I think this narrative is exaggerated and beaten to death.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chytils putting up a 40 pt pace with no pp time and third line mins. He’s exactly what Drury is talking about. He’s miscast.

he’s a 3C on this team no pp time and expected to me more of a defensive player.

it’s not who he is. If he’s a 2C with PP time he’s most likely a 55 plus point player. Is that with us? May not be. Not with Strome here and or trading for a star center to compliment Mika.

I’d really like to see him in the 2C spot with pp time which is what we should have been doing THIS season. Seeing things like that but no Quinn Refused

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Whatever some of youz would offer for Eichel... ( even though I'd never offer it ) I'd offer for Barkov.

Maybe an EDM collapse leads to a trade request? IF they can't win with McDavid going godmode... they are not going to win.

The vet route? Toews or Kopitar?

Move Strome or Zibs, bump Chytil or Kravtsov and trade for Copp?

The idea of Eichel is that he may become available. Barkov is the franchise center on a team that just had its best season in years. The odds of him being traded are almost zero.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
In what way? Because the statistics and play on the ice sure as shit dont indicate he is a center. He is terrible on faceoffs and average at best defensively. He is careless with the puck and makes braindead decisions out there. His low hockey IQ would be better suited for the wing with less responsibility

I think the idea is that he’s automatically superior to Strome based on his birth date.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Kreider can say it and no one can argue, until the summer of 24 when his no movement clause changes...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kreider can say it, until his clause changes...

Sure, yet again I think these past couple days have shown that a lot more can happen than some people think.

Let me ask this, where does Kreider play should Panarin and Laff stay? Is he still top 6 even strength? Will the PP set-up change now?

If he does stay top 6 which one of Panarin or Laff is not?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Look, what's the goal next year? Is the mandate going to be playoffs? I know Drury didn't commit to that publically but is it the internal mandate? If it is than for better or worse there is no way they hitch the wagon to chytil being the 2c, it's just not going to happen IF there is such a mandate.

THIS was the year to play around with ice time and combos to see if certain players could fill those long-term lineup slots, not the year to forcefeed minutes to certain players no matter what. We should be going into this summer with a clearer understanding of what these young players each is, not carrying the same questions about them as we did last summer. That is entirely on the coach and his superiors for not adjusting as the season went on to see what different roles guys could handle and excel at. Prior to the trade deadline I got shit from people for complaining Blackwell was still in the top 6, it's only a few games to boost his trade value they said, but there we were after the deadline still watching him get prime time with prime players instead of longer looks for some of our other guys to see if they meshed with a panarin type.

Quinn was handed a golden egg in some ways while panarin was out bc kreider and strome meshed and seemed to bring some different qualities out of each other, and suddenly strome wasn't always playing east west. It was literally there to leave zib with laf, strome with ck, and put chytil with panarin to see if the lineup could be stretched and give chytil a look in the expanded role with an elite player but nope, right back to the same nonsense we've seen for years.

Even after the deadline anyone that can do math knew this team wasn't making the playoffs, so why not change some roles and add dynamics to your player evaluations? Nope, same shit as the rest of the season.

The mismanagement of opportunities this year to help answer questions about players for the future is brutal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad