Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

426ers

Jun 21, 2020
So many moving parts that will come into play, with cap space, potential trades, Rfa's , Ufa's and rookies trying to make the roster. Let's see what happens. Gonna be wild.

Reactions: NYRangers16

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
How is the contract irrelevant if he just signed it and it hasn't kicked in yet? They wouldn't trade a guy they just extended. That's where the conversation about him starts and ends, if you're talking about acquiring him.
I see your point. I think you just assumed I was mind reading. But also, you've heard the phrase "no one is untouchable" and if we're talking roster moves on a forum, why such a large dose of reality? They just resigned him but for the right package, they'd move him. He's currently just their 3rd line center. If they are upgrading their top 6 or top 4 d, then he's got to be negotiable in a give-to-get deal. I was trying to see if he's the type of player we should look to acquire but you went your own way. Other posters seem to provide good answers while bring up the contract situation which is enlightening but if it just starts and ends like that for you, weird to even respond. Thanks for the follow up.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
We need to reduce the redundancy and diversify the talent pool. While it can be fun having a bunch of East West players blow the doors off PHI and NJ, it’s no fun consistently struggling vs NYI and BOS. I rather be competitive against all four than look like the Globetrotters vs one group and hopeless vs the other.

The question is, who goes? For me, it’s Buch and Strome. If we can convert them into a grinding W that can play with skilled players and a 2 way C, we’re on the right track. That combined w/ a real heavy 4th line and veteran LD to go w/ Nils would go a long way to solving a lot of issues.

Now, what players can we target that fit that mold?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
@rangers1314
The main Rangers factor in Chris Drury's David Quinn decision

Brooks thinks DQ is a goner.

drops the usual names plus Roy as guys to look for.
The big take away, or maybe I'm reading into it too much, was this:
And, unfair as this might be, it will not be about whether Quinn deserves another chance off past performance and this time with a roster that is expected to be fortified with players who have attributes he has coveted throughout his tenure.
Coveted throughout his tenure. Kind of explains his roster decisions and minute distribution. Quinn shouldn't covet anyone. He should develop the raw talent he was given instead of burying people he doesn't value.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
We need to reduce the redundancy and diversify the talent pool. While it can be fun having a bunch of East West players blow the doors off PHI and NJ, it’s no fun consistently struggling vs NYI and BOS. I rather be competitive against all four than look like the Globetrotters vs one group and hopeless vs the other.

The question is, who goes? For me, it’s Buch and Strome. If we can convert them into a grinding W that can play with skilled players and a 2 way C, we’re on the right track. That combined w/ a real heavy 4th line and veteran LD to go w/ Nils would go a long way to solving a lot of issues.

Buch & Strome are the ones with the edge
Mika & Kreider are the soft ones

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

It doesn't always have to be resolved with trades. Players adapt. There are countless examples of finesse, talented forwards that learned how to add the north-south element to their game.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
We need real centers, add a low key ufa like a Wennberg, Granlund or Danault. Go after a 20 yo prospect like Krebs, Vegas has Glass and older players so maybe you can pry him away. Draft another center in the upcoming draft, bpa will likely also be a C in our range in the first. That could be three top 9 center options in just one offseason. I do think we need to shift Chytil to wing, I was a proponent of keeping him at c but now I think his skill set will make him a more dangerous winger. The D will sort itself out with all of the options we have, not worried at all there. You have to move someone like Strome, Kreider or maybe Buch. I’d hate to lose Buch. Strome has been really good but he’s really a winger and we don’t need that. Kreider on the third line doesn’t make much sense if you’re shifting Chytil to wing. I do think there is something to Quinn and bad track record of developing forward.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Buch & Strome are the ones with the edge
Mika & Kreider are the soft ones

I’m not sold on Mika either and Kreider isn’t going anywhere unless he says so. So of the three that are owed extensions (Zib, Strome and Buch), it feel like two need to go to diversify our skillset and Strome is far more one dimensional than Zib is. If all three went I wouldn’t cry, but I also don’t see us shaking things up that much.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Off season shopping list;

1. Veteran left hand defenseman with some bite and short contract. Matthias Ekholm would be perfect. Mark Giordano is a nice alternative.

2. Center who can win face offs and bring some bite. Barclays Goodrow please.

3. At least one winger with some sandpaper. Heavyweight standing not a requirement but would be nice. This could go in a lot of different directions. It could also be more than one

4. Monetize some of the players at/near the end of their ELCs who do not figure in the long term plans of the team. I’ll take some more lottery tickets please, especially this year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Pretty confident we’re leaving Hajek hogtied on the altar of the Krakken. It’s hard to believe he played in 43 games for us this season.

mrmel329

Feb 28, 2013
@rangers1314
The big take away, or maybe I'm reading into it too much, was this:

Coveted throughout his tenure. Kind of explains his roster decisions and minute distribution. Quinn shouldn't covet anyone. He should develop the raw talent he was given instead of burying people he doesn't value.

Well said!!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m a big fan of fil but I’ll be curious to see if there’s a commitment to Mika and Strome or if we go in another direction.

I always saw fil in that 2C spot but if Strome has solidified himself. I can see fil gone for a more physical two way center that can win face offs and be trusted defensively. Is that the right decision? I don’t know. I think we’ll regret moving him. But I think it’s something to keep an eye on for sure

Reactions: bleedblue94

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Could we convince Kreider to waive for Boston? Could we get that fatass Ritchie and Frederic for say DeAngelo and Kreider? They’d have to shed cap, of course.

Reactions: pld459666

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Below is a list of every player who ever played with and every coach who ever coached Chris Drury starting from his Boston University days. In order to be on this list, they must have played in at least 10 games with Chris and have been a Head Coach up until 2020.
NameYears as Head CoachLast League Coached inNumber of Championships
Adam Foote1WHL0
Bob Hartley25KHL5
Sylvain Lefebve6AHL0
Dale Hunter20OHL3
Warren Richel1OHL0
Patrick Roy13QMJHL0
Darryl Sutter21NHL 3
Jim Playfair9AHL1
Dave Lowry7WHL0
Bob Boughner12NHL2
Craig Berube8NHL1
Lindy Ruff20NHL0
Scott Arniel7AHL0
Chris Taylor3AHL0
James Patrick3AHL0
Jay McKee4OHL0
Mike Pelino6KHL0
Greg Moore3AHL0
John Tortorella25NHL1
Mike Sullivan10NHL2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Honorable mention to Todd Gil who stopped coaching in 2019. Gil had 6 years as a Head Coach. Last coached in the OHL with zero championships.

Last edited:

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Just hope that we dont trade anyone before we know we have something better. If we do, we may soon have to rebuild again.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I am ready for the July Chytil trade...

Upon departure on a stormy summer afternoon:

“Oh, we think an awful lot of Fil...” -David Quinn

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I’m a big fan of fil but I’ll be curious to see if there’s a commitment to Mika and Strome or if we go in another direction.

I always saw fil in that 2C spot but if Strome has solidified himself. I can see fil gone for a more physical two way center that can win face offs and be trusted defensively. Is that the right decision? I don’t know. I think we’ll regret moving him. But I think it’s something to keep an eye on for sure

While Strome has great chemistry with Panarin, I don't love how they look against teams like the Isles or last year CAR. I don't think those two will be effective playing with each other in the playoffs. And I think Strome doesn't quite do some of the little things you need a center to do in the playoffs -- win a crucial faceoff, win a tough board battle, make sure the puck gets in deep when there's no play, etc. I would love to find a center for Panarin that has size and speed and creates more space for him against bigger, structured teams. But until that player comes along I'm fine holding onto him longer.

I could see us keeping one of Strome/Mika but I can't see both. But we'll see.

Aside from finding us a center who can play hard minutes and is hard to playa against, we still need better leadership in the dressing room. Those two things could be addressed in the same move. That's why I fear Eichel because as good as he is, I don't see the kind of leadership skills we'll need. I still have hope that Laffy can be that. Or maybe Scheider long term. But that's very unclear right now.

Reactions: bleedblue94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->