Player Discussion: Robin Lehner

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
People keep talking about the fisherman, but it was the scheme as a whole that was badly done. Some gnarly badass fisherman wouldn't be a bad logo basis at all if a team was just starting out and didn't have a majestic history with the previous jersey. It still has very little to do with the fisherman, and more to do with the atmosphere at the time and the color scheme. Bringing back a badass fisherman as a third makes perfect sense now that those times are way behind us and it wouldn't be a main jersey change. I honestly wish they hadn't screwed up with it the first time because I'd love to see a cool third like that instead of this mundane garbage they've been churning out. Instead we've just got knee jerk reactions like, "No, don't you like remember the fishsticks. No bueno!"

Maybe something like this guy
cap.jpg

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
People keep talking about the fisherman, but it was the scheme as a whole that was badly done. Some gnarly badass fisherman wouldn't be a bad logo basis at all if a team was just starting out and didn't have a majestic history with the previous jersey. It still has very little to do with the fisherman, and more to do with the atmosphere at the time and the color scheme. Bringing back a badass fisherman as a third makes perfect sense now that those times are way behind us and it wouldn't be a main jersey change. I honestly wish they hadn't screwed up with it the first time because I'd love to see a cool third like that instead of this mundane garbage they've been churning out. Instead we've just got knee jerk reactions like, "No, don't you like remember the fishsticks. No bueno!"
I agree that the concept wasn't bad - it was the execution (didn't help that it happened during the "cartoon character" phase of logos/jerseys). The new logo should have been an anchor, since it coincided with the arrival of Milbury. ;)

I also wouldn't mind them going with the maritime theme for a future 3rd jersey. Don't mess with the original jerseys anymore though.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Shootouts count alot unless you start switching goalies just for the shootout and it would cause problems in the locker room if you do that. People have been saying he's bad at shootouts since the off-season so it is a problem especially when our shooters are terrible at it. By the end of the season this team will win about 30% of it's shootouts
People say you cannot trust him, despite what we are seeing. He has been okay in shootouts, despite the 2 he gave up last game.
I think he is worth resigning.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks he should be an all star? Hank has had an awesome career, but his numbers are pedestrian. Maybe Mika should’ve been their pick, w Lehner filling the goalie spot?
All-star selections are popularity contests based on past performance; BTW, I think also tat league wants certain guys in there because of the exposure the sport will get. As of the time of the ASG selections, Lehner was not one of those guys.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
People say you cannot trust him, despite what we are seeing. He has been okay in shootouts, despite the 2 he gave up last game.
I think he is worth resigning.

Anyone that thinks a goalie with above a .920 save percentage should not be resigned because he’s bad at shootouts has a weird opinion. He’s not going to go bad.

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
So don't resign a goalie because he is costing the first place Islanders points. That makes no sense yet again. Come on man.

Yeah. Let's not re-sign Lehner because he apparently is not that good in shooutouts and ignore the part that he's a big part of why we got it in the first place.

I'm not sure I would go for a big and long contract, but I like him, on and off the ice and I'd love for him to stay.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Anyone that thinks a goalie with above a .920 save percentage should not be resigned because he’s bad at shootouts has a weird opinion. He’s not going to go bad.
Lol he's not going to go bad? This after watching the isles get stuck with dipietros and Thomas greis went bad after the panther series. Halak spent part of the year in the minors he was so bad. But Lehner will be this good ...for many years because ....because ..not sure why he just will.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Lol he's not going to go bad? This after watching the isles get stuck with dipietros and Thomas greis went bad after the panther series. Halak spent part of the year in the minors he was so bad. But Lehner will be this good ...for many years because ....because ..not sure why he just will.
I swear sometimes I think you are PatientlyWaiting and Ol'TimeHockey's love child.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Not sure who Greis is. That being said Greiss and DP were bad contracts at the time signed. Halak was the goalie for this team during two playoff years, and once he was called back up from the minors played out of his mind to almost bring them back to the playoffs for a third time.

You are not sure why Lehner is playing well? Let me spell two names out for you:

T-R-O-T-Z
K-O-R-N

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
With this stupid format it's not a matter anymore of who deserves to be an all-star, it's who is more exciting to watch on each team. Since they only seem to take one person from each team, Barzal is gonna be the draw.

I get that every team should get a rep; I like that. Just not sure Hank is the best Ranger.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hey, can someone more knowledgeable than me about Lehner's history do me favor and listen to about six minutes of a podcast. It's called One Puck Short with a guy named Rob McGregor and even though it's based in Britain, it's a pretty good podcast. He had a real nice interview with Staple a month or so ago. Anyway, in the episode I was listening to today he's talking to guy named Kevin Woodley whose a Canucks beat writer but I guess also some kind of an authority on NHL goalies. At about the 3:30 mark he starts talking about the whole Bobrovsky thing and Isles interest etc. Then at about 8:00 he's talking about Lehner and saying some stuff that I have never heard before, such as "not a long-term solution", Lehner saying "they're trying to change me", Lehner "has to be the guy". Will not be a backup or "do that kind of work". Again, all stuff I have never heard or read and, to be fair, he walked some of it back, but it just really surprised me some of the stuff. If anyone wants to give it listen and tell me if what the guy is saying is anything like accurate I'd love to know. Thx. PS, he's pretty much done with Lehner talk at 9:45.

Listen to the The One Puck Short Podcast Episode - One Puck Short: Episode 99 (ft. Kevin Woodley) - Bob, John and an Ever Changing Role on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Robin Lehner has been on the bench the last few games and hope he is ready to go Tuesday as I expect (and really hope) Lehner to be starting to get him back in the mix and give Greiss a break. The team would have gotten home at 3-4am from Minnesota this morning after back to back games and expect Greiss needs a break.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
After the shutout against the Coyotes, Lehner had a piece in the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet (Storspel av Lehner – hyllad av fansen). You can either translate it yourselves, or go for my short, hipshot summary.

"During the sunday night, the whole Long Island in New York yet again united in their new favourite chant: 'Lehner, Lehner, Lehner!' Robin Lehner had yet another amazing game and held the 5th shutout of the season...
- I become inspired by the best fans in the league, he says after the 2-0 victory."

It further says it has taken him a while to come back to normal 18/19 shape after his injury, but now he was back.
- We haven't played that well as a team the last couple of weeks, but the games this weekend were really successful and it feels really good to have returned to this form.

Regarding Grabner's breakaway: - Mmm, the Coyotes have scored alot of those kind of goals this season, so you have to stay on your toes in those kind of situations. Fortunately I was and managed to disarm him. But it's not that difficult with the support in this arena. I become inspired by the best fans in the league."

Reactions: CPFC

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Hey, can someone more knowledgeable than me about Lehner's history do me favor and listen to about six minutes of a podcast. It's called One Puck Short with a guy named Rob McGregor and even though it's based in Britain, it's a pretty good podcast. He had a real nice interview with Staple a month or so ago. Anyway, in the episode I was listening to today he's talking to guy named Kevin Woodley whose a Canucks beat writer but I guess also some kind of an authority on NHL goalies. At about the 3:30 mark he starts talking about the whole Bobrovsky thing and Isles interest etc. Then at about 8:00 he's talking about Lehner and saying some stuff that I have never heard before, such as "not a long-term solution", Lehner saying "they're trying to change me", Lehner "has to be the guy". Will not be a backup or "do that kind of work". Again, all stuff I have never heard or read and, to be fair, he walked some of it back, but it just really surprised me some of the stuff. If anyone wants to give it listen and tell me if what the guy is saying is anything like accurate I'd love to know. Thx. PS, he's pretty much done with Lehner talk at 9:45.

Listen to the The One Puck Short Podcast Episode - One Puck Short: Episode 99 (ft. Kevin Woodley) - Bob, John and an Ever Changing Role on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

Granted this is from early February but this guy seems misinformed. Just my opinion.
Goaltending seems to be one of the Islanders least concerns right now going into next season if they just sign Lehner. .

That said it will be interesting to see what happens as you never know what’s going on behind the scenes in the locker room and with contracts.

If LL thinks he has one shot to improve the position long term, maybe Bobrovsky would be the move to make.
He has been elite the last two seasons and after a rough start, heating up since the all-star break. Long term, he is probably going to have his prime years behind him though.

When it comes to Lehner, how stable is he long term? It’s a tough question to ask since he has been so great coming from the depths of hell he came from, but does LL think he can sustain? Does he trust him? I am rooting for him and the Isles signing him reasonably and hope Lehner recognizes his success comes from Trotz and the coaching staff some and he should not be paid as an one of the elites long term.

As for the Isles two goalie system, I prefer it over depending on and putting all your eggs in a one basket with one guy who when he is injured sinks the team.

Last edited:

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I'm not positive of what his competition might be for the Masterton, but I really hope he wins.

Dang people always cutting onions in my face whenever he is the #1 star.

Despite a couple of lopsided shutouts last week, the Isles are still leading the NHL with a 2.36 GAA (Dallas is #2 with 2.47.) The Isles would need to have a pretty poor final 6 games to not win the Masterton (awarded to the team with the lowest GAA.)

Also, Lehner is quickly becoming one of my favoreite Isles, not jsut on the team but in my histroy of watching the team since 199-2000 when I was 6 years old. With his story and hus success, it is hard not to love him. What puts him over the top is he has completely embraced Long Island and the fans in a way that is on par with Cizikas/Martin/Lee do (he gets the leg up as I'm a former goalie and my first favorite Islander was Chris Osgood.) Time to pay the man!

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Despite a couple of lopsided shutouts last week, the Isles are still leading the NHL with a 2.36 GAA (Dallas is #2 with 2.47.) The Isles would need to have a pretty poor final 6 games to not win the Masterton (awarded to the team with the lowest GAA.)

Are we talking about the same award? I meant the Bill Masterton trophy - "player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey."

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Also, Lehner is quickly becoming one of my favoreite Isles, not jsut on the team but in my histroy of watching the team since 199-2000 when I was 6 years old. With his story and hus success, it is hard not to love him. What puts him over the top is he has completely embraced Long Island and the fans in a way that is on par with Cizikas/Martin/Lee do (he gets the leg up as I'm a former goalie and my first favorite Islander was Chris Osgood.) Time to pay the man!

You're talking about the Jennings, not the Masteron.

Reactions: kmo429

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
**** dude major brainf art. I was thinking of the Jennings. But yes, have to imagine he is the Masterton Trophy winner this year.

Lol, all good! Monday morning will get ya.

I sure hope he is the winner, I just have no idea what other players are his competition.

Edit- Started a thread on the Main Board, seems Jumbo Joe is the favorite and he's as good a candidate as anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad