Player Discussion: Robin Lehner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No thank you. The fisherman is iconic in that everyone equates it with a dark, embarrassing period in team history.
That's not true. There's a generation that grew up with it, so they have fond memories of it.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
That's not true. There's a generation that grew up with it, so they have fond memories of it.
They may have grown up with it, but what fond memories could they possibly have? Losing constantly and hearing "we want fishsticks" chants?

Reactions: ebergeist

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They may have grown up with it, but what fond memories could they possibly have? Losing constantly and hearing "we want fishsticks" chants?
2166950-ziggy_fish.jpg

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yes, Ziggy was great, but it is sad that he is one of the only positive memories from an entire era. When I see the fisherman logo, I feel sickened. I think that younger fans who haven't seen the good times of the late 70's-80's, really don't know what it is like to have a respected, solid, winning franchise and this is all they have to hang their hat on. For me, any reminder of that era brings anger, sadness, embarrassment. Hiring Don Maloney as GM? Forcing Torrey to leave? Hiring Milbury? Selling to Spano? Then selling to Milstein/Gluckstern? Trading their kids and Ziggy because these clowns wanted to cheap out on the team while trying to do a land grab? The fisherman jersey is the logo that represents the nightmare of this era. Good riddance.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, like I really want to live through the “We Want Fishsticks” chants all over again. It was embarassing enough the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: beach

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Speaking as someone else who has to fight through a ****-ton of mental illness for a career....

Lehner may just be one of my favorite Islanders ever.

Hope he gets resigned.

All Islander fans from 94-2017 suffer from some form of mental illness after so many years of torture ;). Kidding.

On a serious note, I love lehner too. And to be fair I was VERY skeptical and wasn't really moved by the story he told this summer. I thought it was a big problem and was not optimistic about lehner being an effective back up. I care about winning first and foremost. He was known for throwing temper tantrums, blow up screaming fests.

Talk about a TOTAL turn around for this guy. He's very calm, collective. Not one time this season did we see him blow his top or even express much frustration after a few bad goals.

Everything from his true sober personality shining, to his success on the ice and with the team makes him very likable.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island

That's the jersey they wore when i first started going to games with my grandpa, who has since passed away. I have very fond memories.

The fisherman jersey is my favorite islander jersey.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
No thank you. The fisherman is iconic in that everyone equates it with a dark, embarrassing period in team history.
No just 80s/90's islander fans.

The league has moved on, the ISLANDERS have moved on. I don't see how reviving the Fisherman jersey could be a bad thing. Outsider fans love it

Reactions: bstash19

crasherino

May 9, 2013

The league has moved on, the ISLANDERS have moved on. I don't see how reviving the Fisherman jersey could be a bad thing. Outsider fans love it
Love to make fun of it, that is.

My bro-in-law still chants "We want Fishsticks" at me/my boys (after "Beat Your Wife Potvin!"). I don't need to hear that any more than necessary.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

70's Islanders fans too. Any of us who actually lived through that period.

Leave the fisherman dead and buried. It was a dopey looking uniform too.

Reactions: And You Feel Shame

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's the jersey they wore when i first started going to games with my grandpa, who has since passed away. I have very fond memories.

The fisherman jersey is my favorite islander jersey.

Yep. Similar type of nostalgia for me. It was the first jersey I saw them wear in person, and it was the jersey of my favorite player. When you're that young, you're sheltered from all the other nonsense so I'm not as pained by it as others.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yep. Similar type of nostalgia for me. It was the first jersey I saw them wear in person, and it was the jersey of my favorite player. When you're that young, you're sheltered from all the other nonsense so I'm not as pained by it as others.
That jersey was just another indignity for Isles fans back then and it’s not going away.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I'm suprised most fans don't hate seeing third jerseys in person. . I hated the orange jerseys so much I would find the third jerseys schedule and avoid those games. I want to see islander jerseys, at islander games. I'd rather listen on the radio, which i did for the fisherman years then look at those things. I can't be the only one that avoided games with third jerseys. It doesn't matter that they may look cool in general, the black and current one look fine, it's just not what I want to see on the ice.
Anyway with Lehner, better to pay him a solid amount for another year, or two, then long term. Look at halak, greis, put a average to above avaerage goalie in a well coached team with tight defense they will put up good numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad