Player Discussion: Robin Lehner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Isles dropped the ball on this one hard. Surprised the offer (which came late and then was an ultimatum) was only 2 yrs x $3.5/4M. He was genuinely happy here and could've been here for 6 more years easy.

Thanks for a great season and wish you the best RL.
I agree. It such a rare thing to see anyone let alone a professional athlete succeed at battling his demons. It was his perseverance and dedication towards the Islanders and our fans that helped him through his personal issues. The Islanders hired him under this pretext - that he had something to offer regardless of his past issues. They must have known he spent time in a detox center with help from the NHL and the NHLPA. If he hadn't proven himself a success working with this team under Trotz I could understand the decision to go with Varlamov, but this was one of the great stories that was written by the Islanders and Lehner to have it come down to a take it or leave it offer rather than giving Lehner a little time to ponder his decision was kind of cold and unnecessary. But on top of that letting a previous season Vezina finalist and Masterton Trophy winner go because of possibly a few dollars in dispute doesn't really make much sense. One, finding a goaltender of his size with good mobility and good focus in big games is not such an easy thing to come by. He had good positioning and that large frame of his was undeniably an asset to the Isles defense. And two, replacing that with an aging smaller goaltender who is prone to hot and cold streaks doesn't make much sense to me.

The Isles tandem of Greiss and Lehner was the best in the league. There are no guarantees with Varlamov. Why change something that wasn't broken. At the VERY least try to retain a good thing. This should have always been about Lehner walking away from the Isles because they could not come to an agreement- not a take it or leave it scenario with the Isles quickly slamming the door to negotiations. There's always supposed to be room for some negotiation but this ended up like a slap in the face for Lehner. I think Lehner has expressed so much gratitude towards the Islanders for the short time he was here even to the point where he was saying he has every intention to stay only with the Isles. Lou could have at least reciprocated on some level and tried to negotiate more with him. If Varlamov proves to be a failure this is completely on Lou Lamiorello and a worse case scenario would be that the Islanders have a bad season because of goaltending while we watch Lehner falling back into addiction and depression. What a tragedy that would be. Only a Mickey Mouse organization like ours would let that happen.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
I agree. It such a rare thing to see anyone let alone a professional athlete succeed at battling his demons. It was his perseverance and dedication towards the Islanders and our fans that helped him through his personal issues. The Islanders hired him under this pretext - that he had something to offer regardless of his past issues. They must have known he spent time in a detox center with help from the NHL and the NHLPA. If he hadn't proven himself a success working with this team under Trotz I could understand the decision to go with Varlamov, but this was one of the great stories that was written by the Islanders and Lehner to have it come down to a take it or leave it offer rather than giving Lehner a little time to ponder his decision was kind of cold and unnecessary. But on top of that letting a previous season Vezina finalist and Masterton Trophy winner go because of possibly a few dollars in dispute doesn't really make much sense. One, finding a goaltender of his size with good mobility and good focus in big games is not such an easy thing to come by. He had good positioning and that large frame of his was undeniably an asset to the Isles defense. And two, replacing that with an aging smaller goaltender who is prone to hot and cold streaks doesn't make much sense to me.

The Isles tandem of Greiss and Lehner was the best in the league. There are no guarantees with Varlamov. Why change something that wasn't broken. At the VERY least try to retain a good thing. This should have always been about Lehner walking away from the Isles because they could not come to an agreement- not a take it or leave it scenario with the Isles quickly slamming the door to negotiations. There's always supposed to be room for some negotiation but this ended up like a slap in the face for Lehner. I think Lehner has expressed so much gratitude towards the Islanders for the short time he was here even to the point where he was saying he has every intention to stay only with the Isles. Lou could have at least reciprocated on some level and tried to negotiate more with him. If Varlamov proves to be a failure this is completely on Lou Lamiorello and a worse case scenario would be that the Islanders have a bad season because of goaltending while we watch Lehner falling back into addiction and depression. What a tragedy that would be. Only a Mickey Mouse organization like ours would let that happen.

I can appreciate a lot of what you said in regards to Lehner, and I really wanted Lehner back on this team. Losing him is the most disappointing aspect of this off season to me. So I can feel the pain of many who are frustrated and angry over his departure and how LL handled negotiations.

As far as there being no guarantees with Varlamov is concerned, I can't argue that... but the same could be said of Lehner.

Should Lou have given Lehner more time? I think the case could be made successfully on both ends of that debate.

The only thing that bothers me about this post is what appears to be an almost passive/veiled suggestion that Lehner falling back into addiction and depression would some how be Lou's fault for not re-signing him. I know you did not explicitly state that sentiment --- but I think the emotion of the argument makes it kind of come off that way.

If the Islanders have a bad season because of goaltending, Lou should absolutely shoulder some of that burden for his off season decision to go with Varly. As far as Lehner relapsing though? Yes that would be horrible, but that's entirely on Lehner and his support network, not on Lou, the Islander's brass, or the organizations decision to go with Varlamov over him. Their job is to try and make the best decisions to win hockey games, whether or not we agree with those decisions. As long as the organization provides access to outreach services for the players to take advantage of, then upper management should in no way be held responsible for the mental health successes or failures of their players. Lehner deserves the credit for how he was able to get his life on track this past year. He and the assistance he employs will be responsible for that going forward, and we all wish him the best of luck with that.

Reactions: dood

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I can appreciate a lot of what you said in regards to Lehner, and I really wanted Lehner back on this team. Losing him is the most disappointing aspect of this off season to me. So I can feel the pain of many who are frustrated and angry over his departure and how LL handled negotiations.

As far as there being no guarantees with Varlamov is concerned, I can't argue that... but the same could be said of Lehner.

Should Lou have given Lehner more time? I think the case could be made successfully on both ends of that debate.

The only thing that bothers me about this post is what appears to be an almost passive/veiled suggestion that Lehner falling back into addiction and depression would some how be Lou's fault for not re-signing him. I know you did not explicitly state that sentiment --- but I think the emotion of the argument makes it kind of come off that way.

If the Islanders have a bad season because of goaltending, Lou should absolutely shoulder some of that burden for his off season decision to go with Varly. As far as Lehner relapsing though? Yes that would be horrible, but that's entirely on Lehner and his support network, not on Lou, the Islander's brass, or the organizations decision to go with Varlamov over him. Their job is to try and make the best decisions to win hockey games, whether or not we agree with those decisions. As long as the organization provides access to outreach services for the players to take advantage of, then upper management should in no way be held responsible for the mental health successes or failures of their players. Lehner deserves the credit for how he was able to get his life on track this past year. He and the assistance he employs will be responsible for that going forward, and we all wish him the best of luck with that.
You are right. It's would not be Lou's fault if Lehner relapsed. I do know he mentioned while he was in Buffalo part of his problem was with the fans. The booing before they entered the ice for example. It got to him. He mentioned it as part of the problem he was having not liking the fans that increased his anxiety levels. The guy is clearly sensitive and it did not escape me the genuine appreciation he had for Islander fans and the organization after a home win and he was invited to speak at ice level. Just the way Lehner described how this all happened bothered me. It's almost like the organization was not supporting or less understanding of his situation the same way the rest of the NHL or NHLPA was because of the abruptness in the way they "re-negotiated" his contract. He clearly wanted to return here. That doesn't mean you take advantage of the other personal things that are going on in his life and offer him a lesser contract. You have a professional athlete; one of the best players in the league- who had a tremendous season on and off the ice and you give him an "ultimatum" with a window of 2 hours without option to even negotiate. What does that look like to me? It looked like Lou was saying- yeah, yeah, yeah you had a great season but don't forget it was I who made you and you take what I give you because without me you would still be a worthless bum. I would wonder how Lehner perceived this as well. He had full gratitude always for what the Islanders had done for him and he continuously expressed this.

Any other 27 year old, 6 foot 7 mobile, talented goaltender, steady Vezina finalist who loved his team and wanted to return to his team doesn't get just a 2 year contract. He didn't get a 5 year contract like Varlamov who himself is very shaking without a former addiction issue, but Lehner appeared to be judged by his mental risk factors alone. You tell me what other team would have only offered their #1 Vezina Finalist goaltender only a 2 year contract after a season like Lehner's? This is how Lou operates and this biggest fault and maybe the thing that makes his less successful the longer he stayed in this league. It's either his way or the highway. No facial hair, no wearing of certain numbers, fall into line. He's some what out of touch with his players at times and the way Lehner's situation was handled was insensitive. There should have been at the VERY least an option to at least LISTEN to what Lehner had to say. According to Lehner he wasn't given the opportunity to respond just a 2 hour window. It looked like Lou took advantage of Lehner's mental health history and lowballed him on the contract years- while taking a take or leave it stance because other than his mental health history what was not to like about Lehner? He was incredible last year and lived up to the billing received before he entered this league until addiction issue arose.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if you are going to stick behind someone- stick with him until the end. As far as I could see, there were no signs that Lehner was headed towards a relapse that made him a big risk and honestly I don't see what Varlamov could do that would improve on the year Lehner had. If it was not broke what was there to fix?

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I mean, you've heard the official statements from the NYI management. You've heard the statements from Lehner. You have the history of both. When you evaluate the statements from both parties, you quickly recognize the NYI brass is paid to lie. They wear a f***ing tie for a reason. Lehner on the other hand, is like an open book. He doesn't hold back anything, because he's done playing the game (not the game of hockey... the rest of our social crap). He's so honest, it's almost spooky.

So, who do you believe? I'll take the guy not caring anymore about upholding the fasade.
Maybe this was already discussed here but this was the best sports interview I’ve ever heard. Makes me miss Lehner even more.

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/playlist/87/listen-16145.html?cb=1562160617.135327
I mean, seriously, this is an unbelieavable interview. Like the reporter himself says, he asks Robin a question and Robin talks non-stop for 9 minutes about the topic. Who does that, about such personal issues? That's a guy that is done with all the bullshit and the lying.

Let me tell you this. In Sweden, 1/4 adults suffer or have suffered from a mental illness. That is the official statistics. The truth is probably much worse than that. I don't think you're exactly much better off in the United States. Holy crap no. Your every day life situation is much more stressful than a life in Sweden. You don't have a safety net and your corporate enviroment is much worse to work in. I would NEVER trade with you guys.

I would put it this way. The person that enjoys this madness is the one that is mad. Everyone who suffers mentally, is healthy and has hope. Then we have those who repress everything important so well, that they believe they cope. Mental defense mechanisms. We all know deep down this won't work, but most are too afraid to touch that though, because it's a journey that is highly unpleasant.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I mean, you've heard the official statements from the NYI management. You've heard the statements from Lehner. You have the history of both. When you evaluate the statements from both parties, you quickly recognize the NYI brass is paid to lie. They wear a ****ing tie for a reason. Lehner on the other hand, is like an open book. He doesn't hold back anything, because he's done playing the game (not the game of hockey... the rest of our social crap). He's so honest, it's almost spooky.

So, who do you believe? I'll take the guy not caring anymore about upholding the fasade.

I mean, seriously, this is an unbelieavable interview. Like the reporter himself says, he asks Robin a question and Robin talks non-stop for 9 minutes about the topic. Who does that, about such personal issues? That's a guy that is done with all the bull**** and the lying.

Let me tell you this. In Sweden, 1/4 adults suffer or have suffered from a mental illness. That is the official statistics. The truth is probably much worse than that. I don't think you're exactly much better off in the United States. Holy crap no. Your every day life situation is much more stressful than a life in Sweden. You don't have a safety net and your corporate enviroment is much worse to work in. I would NEVER trade with you guys.

I would put it this way. The person that enjoys this madness is the one that is mad. Everyone who suffers mentally, is healthy and has hope.
Well, you're f***ing crazy. I know that.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, you're ****ing crazy. I know that.
Well, I could tell you the exact same thing. How about that? You think rising official statistics of mental disorders and illnesses is a coincidence? Ok. Maybe you're not crazy in a retort, maybe you're not just able to draw any conclusions from previous information. You're normal. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad