Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Four helpers through 9 games, while getting 4th line minutes, isn’t bad. He needed to shoot on the 2 on 1 rush tonight. That’s most likely a result of his confidence still isn’t what it needs to be.

Fabbri O’Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Schenn

I’d like to see that top 6 in a game.

Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Thomas-Schenn
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Maroon-Barbashev-Sanford

I like that...a lot

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I would not put Schenn on wing to have Thomas at 2C. Schenn has earned 2C, as ROR has earned 1C.

Plus, I like a young Thomas and his teenage body getting 4rd line mintues. And I like Barbashev on wing now too.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I would not put Schenn on wing to have Thomas at 2C. Schenn has earned 2C, as ROR has earned 1C.

Plus, I like a young Thomas and his teenage body getting 4rd line mintues. And I like Barbashev on wing now too.

Agreed

Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Steen-Bozak-Maroon
Barbashev-Thomas-Sanford

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Nothing confirmed, but it sure seems like Thomas is staying past game 9. He's played 9 and apparently the GM hasn't discussed removing him from the roster with Yeo. If management was still concerned about burning a year of his ELC, I have to think that they would have either sent him down already or told the coach that Thomas needed to be healthy scratched until a decision was made.

I still think that the 40 game mark is the true decision time, but it seems like we have committed to burning a year of his ELC.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Nothing confirmed, but it sure seems like Thomas is staying past game 9. He's played 9 and apparently the GM hasn't discussed removing him from the roster with Yeo. If management was still concerned about burning a year of his ELC, I have to think that they would have either sent him down already or told the coach that Thomas needed to be healthy scratched until a decision was made.

I still think that the 40 game mark is the true decision time, but it seems like we have committed to burning a year of his ELC.

This, plus he has been running drills on both the second and fourth line the day before a game. Don't think they would let him do that if they're planning on sending him down.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The Blues need to win hockey games right now and Thomas can help them do that. He’s looked like an NHL caliber player who can contribute positively to the team (albeit a young/inexperienced one) and he has shown marked improvement.

The team is better with him on it. I think the decision to keep him is really that simple.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
He’s played great since returning to the lineup. I’m very glad they didn’t make the mistake of sending him back. He’s going to end up being an important player by the end of this year, I can just see it.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
He showing improvement by each game, so keep playing him as he will only get better at this point with experience. The team can be very good just needs to play better defense and not allow so many shots against us. Thomas I think will be a key player by second half of the season to the stretch.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I remember Dunn playing with more confidence after about 10 or 15 games last year. I hope the same for Thomas.
I'd like to see him and Fabbri develop chemistry in the offensive zone ... and somewhere down the road have Kyrou join in (even if it doesn't happen this season).

Reactions: Bluenatic

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
He's showing more confidence. He will become more of a factor for the Blues in the next couple weeks IMO.
Even when Schenn comes back into the lineup, Thomas will produce as long as they don't weigh him down with PM#7.

Mar 6, 2012
Is anyone else concerned that he seems incapable of finishing? I agree that he's looked fantastic the last few games, moving with confidence, always involved in the play... making himself into an impactful player... but man, how many grade A scoring chances has he completely borked in that time? 5 or 6? It's starting to get a little silly.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Is anyone else concerned that he seems incapable of finishing? I agree that he's looked fantastic the last few games, moving with confidence, always involved in the play... making himself into an impactful player... but man, how many grade A scoring chances has he completely borked in that time? 5 or 6? It's starting to get a little silly.
Borked? There is a goalie there..... at the end of the day, you keep plugging away till they go in

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
My feeling is that after he gets #1 he'll have 5 within two weeks.

Yep. It seems like he is hurrying his shot and not really picking a spot ... just making sure he gets his shot off.
But, his confidence is coming. You can see it. He will be productive very soon.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Thomas is having trouble finishing because goalies keep robbing him all over the place. Most particularly that save by Aaron Dell. f*** me what a save. Thomas didn’t do anything wrong, locates the shot well, and gets robbed. It’ll come soon. He’s looking much better game by game.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Thomas is having trouble finishing because goalies keep robbing him all over the place. Most particularly that save by Aaron Dell. **** me what a save. Thomas didn’t do anything wrong, locates the shot well, and gets robbed. It’ll come soon. He’s looking much better game by game.

That was an AMAZING save. But Thomas has placed some shots right at the goalie's body from good scoring position too often. But I agree completely that he is about to break through.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Eh, he’s only 19. Once he keeps gaining confidence, strength, and figuring out NHL goalies a little more, the goals will come.

The talent is clearly there. He looks good. Can skate and makes nice passes. And since he can learn from O’Reilly, he definitely looks like a future top 6 C.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Bumping this thread.

I know he’s getting a lot of praise in our other threads but, for historic documentation (until the next HF upgrade at least), I just want to say, it looks like we have ourselves a player, eh? Hasn’t been on the scoresheet as much as his ability has shown these playoffs. I’m getting same vibes that I got from schwartzy during his first playoffs, where you can just see the top line ability, even if the points haven’t started pouring in yet.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins fan coming in peace. Really hope to play you guys in the Final, St. Louis has been my second favorite team for a while now.

Just want to say how blown away I was by his play in Game 7. The assists are great, but that was some of the more impressive puck protection on a consistent basis throughout a game that I've seen from a player in a while. He doesn't use size to do it like a lot of players do, but utilizes his skill and smarts, and it's really awesome to watch. And it's purposeful puck protection too, he's drawing people in in order to open other players up. It was really clear that he was the key cog on that line from even just zoning in on him in one game. As a 19 year old in the playoffs that's really impressive.

Given he's playing on a Western Conference team and has one of the most forgettable names ever, I really never paid much attention to him, but he's definitely on my radar to watch now. Love that aspect of the playoffs where you discover players coming up big in key moments.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Thomas is playing the best hockey of his life, and he's doing it in the playoffs. This kid is already good, and is going to be great.

Reactions: brokeu91

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The Stars had absolutely no answer for Thomas in game 7. A 19 year old kid in his first playoff experience was simply impossible to cover. He's a good one. I thought while he was in juniors and the WJC that he looked like a Lars Eller type player. A player you can trust, will produce at a decent, yet unspectacular clip and just in general a solid player to have on your squad. I was called out for saying that and you guys were spot on. He's definitely a top six player right now, not even considering his future development. He looks so much like Claude Giroux out there some games with his shifty moves, white stick tape, ridiculous passes/escapability. I wouldn't be surprised to see 60 points out of him next year if he's given substantial PP and top 6 time. 45 points in his current role. Absolute stud in the making.

Hopefully Kyrou can take the next step and we can have two young game breaking talent to supplement our 25-28 year old core.

Reactions: Brian39

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
My only concern is his ability to score goals. He has to work on his shot. Great IQ, hands, passing and pick control, but he needs to continue to develop his shot. If he could ever become a 25 goal scorer, the he will really take over.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
My only concern is his ability to score goals. He has to work on his shot. Great IQ, hands, passing and pick control, but he needs to continue to develop his shot. If he could ever become a 25 goal scorer, the he will really take over.

Agreed, he can be a notoriously good playmaker - but to really thrive, he needs goalies to have to respect his shot.

Giroux, Crosby, Kane, Kucherov, MacKinnon... the list goes on - elite playmakers need to be a shooting threat to flourish. Each of these players is good for 50+ assists a year, but without being able to keep a goalie honest Thomas' effectiveness will be limited to an extent. If he's a perennial 20 goal scorer with his playmaking, he will terrorize goalies and Dcores for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad