Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Alot of people are really sleeping on the main boards with Thomas. Everyone has their own opinion of everyone or greatly exaggerate their exposure to other prospects but he seems to be viewed in the low teens behind guys like Glass and Viliardi, who don't either exceed Thomas statistically or eye test wise, just draft position/name sake.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Alot of people are really sleeping on the main boards with Thomas. Everyone has their own opinion of everyone or greatly exaggerate their exposure to other prospects but he seems to be viewed in the low teens behind guys like Glass and Viliardi, who don't either exceed Thomas statistically or eye test wise, just draft position/name sake.

Sounds about right in a place where Jake Virtanen and Sam Bennett are included in a lot of trade proposals no? People aren’t willing to cut bait on draft position until about 5 years out it seems. Unless the player is from a rival team then it’s typically 3 hours after the draft

Reactions: Dbrownss

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
People aren’t willing to cut bait on draft position until about 5 years out it seems.
Except for more the majority of this board last year when we we're ranking our prospects and everyone voted Kostin over Thomas in the rankings. That one still confuses me. I had Thomas' back when very few did. In Bill Armstrong i trust.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Except for more the majority of this board last year when we we're ranking our prospects and everyone voted Kostin over Thomas in the rankings. That one still confuses me. I had Thomas' back when very few did. In Bill Armstrong i trust.

You realize that Kostin was the number 1 in most draft boards for EURO skaters right? He was projected top 10 in a lot of drafts. Thomas wasn’t. It’s not exactly a distrust in Armstrong. More or less a trusting in the draft boards which is understandable. Regardless, they are both great players, Thomas’ development has just gone a lot more north than Kostin although considering the circumstances Kostin has really impressed me. I see them both having about the same floor honestly. 3rd liners, I will say though Thomas has displayed some unbelievable two-way attributes and given his improvement shooting he has some real upside.

I still view Kyrou as our highest ceiling prospect goalies taken aside, just because the reason I was so high on him is the same exact reason I was so high on Barzal.

People tend to overlook development as opposed to draft position. We have been blessed with great development though.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
You realize that Kostin was the number 1 in most draft boards for EURO skaters right? He was projected top 10 in a lot of drafts. Thomas wasn’t. It’s not exactly a distrust in Armstrong. More or less a trusting in the draft boards which is understandable. Regardless, they are both great players, Thomas’ development has just gone a lot more north than Kostin although considering the circumstances Kostin has really impressed me. I see them both having about the same floor honestly. 3rd liners, I will say though Thomas has displayed some unbelievable two-way attributes and given his improvement shooting he has some real upside.

I still view Kyrou as our highest ceiling prospect goalies taken aside, just because the reason I was so high on him is the same exact reason I was so high on Barzal.

People tend to overlook development as opposed to draft position. We have been blessed with great development though.
Ahhh yes these are the exact arguments everyone used last year, you must have looked back at the thread... lol. I still choose Thomas over Kostin 10 times outta 10.

:)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Ahhh yes these are the exact arguments everyone used last year, you must have looked back at the thread... lol. I still choose Thomas over Kostin 10 times outta 10.

:)

I mean that was a good choice, but at the same time it was 50/50. Thomas’ value is pretty predicated on his development thus far. At the draft he looked like a 3C. Albeit a pretty sure bet to be a 3C. But his development post draft is where the gold is

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Thomas was one of the biggest risers over the last 3 months leading into the draft and Kostin's stock had been headed the opposite direction over that time.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wasn't blown away with Thomas till TC and onward. I went back and watched video of him and thought he was better then advertised but not to the level I saw him at during Traverse and preseason

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I wasn't blown away with Thomas till TC and onward. I went back and watched video of him and thought he was better then advertised but not to the level I saw him at during Traverse and preseason

I liked that he had such a well-rounded set of tools for such a young player. That led me to believe that he's a very hard worker, and dedicated student of the game. That, the great offensive sense, and thinking-man's game, and great passing skill, led me to believe he was the best pick The Blues could have made at that position, and make me feel that he's got a very high floor, and a pretty high ceiling, too. I'm extremely happy with his development since then, especially his improvement in his shooting. I think he'll be one of The greatest Blues' in the pivot before his career is over.

Reactions: Dbrownss

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'd say stepan is a pretty realistic comparable. My ceiling comparable (him if he hits is max ceiling) would be giroux. Giroux especially a couple seasons ago when he was not only an elite point producing setup man but a very good 200ft player as well. That's my hopeful comparison for thomas and I'd say a stepan is a more realistic ceiling.

My Giroux esque comparable is looking better and better! Lol

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I just want to draw attention to my avatar. Made this at the end of the OHL cup. First step of this is seemingly completed with Robby T making the roster. It’s happening guys.

Reactions: simon IC

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Thomas gets a new roommate

After securing a roster spot with the Blues, Robert Thomas has also secured a new roommate: former Blue Keith Tkachuk

by Chris Pinkert / St. Louis Blues

Be a good teammate.
Work hard.
Give 110 percent every shift.
Don't touch the remote.

Those are the rules Robert Thomas will have to abide by for the foreseeable future if he hopes to be a good roommate and get his rookie season in the NHL off to a good start. Now that the 19-year-old has moved from simply hoping to earn a roster spot with the St. Louis Blues to actually earning one, he has just one more move to make, and that's moving all of his stuff into former Blue Keith Tkachuk's basement.
"I know what it was like at that age when I was a young guy being on my own in the NHL," Tkachuk said. "Together with (Blues General Manager) Doug Armstrong, we thought it would be a good idea to have Robby come live with us. These kids aren't equipped yet to take care of themselves, so we thought it would be a good idea to take him in and make him part of the family."
Keith and his wife, Chantal, are no strangers to having incredibly talented athletes under their roof. Their oldest son, Matthew, moved out in August to begin his third season with the Calgary Flames. Brady Tkachuk, who was drafted by Ottawa in the first round last June, made his NHL debut on Monday against the Boston Bruins, and their daughter, Taryn, although still living at home, is an accomplished field hockey player.
While some parents see their children growing up and moving out as an opportunity to relax and take it easy, the Tkachuks are quite the opposite. They simply adopt someone else.
They have a history of doing it, actually.
Thomas is hoping he can find success in the NHL in the same way that Keith's other apprentices have, but first and foremost, he's just trying to stay out of trouble with his landlord.
So what's the best way to play it safe?
"Stay out of his chair and don't touch the controller," said Matthew Tkachuk, who was Thomas' teammate with the Ontario Hockey League's London Knights when they won the Memorial Cup in 2016. "My dad definitely doesn't like it when anybody touches the controller other than him, and he has his seat in the house that nobody is allowed to sit in but him. I think those would be my only two pieces of advice..."
"...Oh, wait, there's one more," Matthew added. "You're not watching anything on TV on Thursday night other than Blue Bloods."
cut.jpg

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Was Thomas a bit overrated by Pronman?
I honestly don't think so. I just think that many of us, (myself included!), had unrealistic expectations. Thomas is the real deal, he will be an excellent player. It will just take longer than we anticipated.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
He's been stuck playing on the 4th line with less than ten minutes a game. Im not sure if he has even had a chance to show what he can offer.

The talent is def there though.

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He's been stuck playing on the 4th line with less than ten minutes a game. Im not sure if he has even had a chance to show what he can offer.

The talent is def there though.
Maybe our coaching staff see more then this and reason is why he haven't get more icetime, maybe good reason why he's currently healthy scratched.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I think how the team has been playing recently has more to do with Thomas’ ice time than Thomas. Had they came out of the gate steaming Yeo wouldn’t have to worry about Thomas learning and making mistakes or not contributing while he adjust.

Hope he realizes this. However Petro was sent down to OHL and did just fine so not the end of the world.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
At least in the little interview with him he seemed to take it very well. Said he learned a lot by watching the other centers, and you can tell he’s very excited to get back in and just to be here in general.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Maybe our coaching staff see more then this and reason is why he haven't get more icetime, maybe good reason why he's currently healthy scratched.

IF there were ever a time when one could argue the coaching staff were incompetent. Now would be that time.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Last night was the first game of the year that Thomas finally had players that matched his playing style. He had Fabs that matches his speed, agility and playmaking. Then you got a defensively responsible Sundqvist as the shooter. Regardless of Sunny’s upside. He likes to shoot the puck, last year his shooting % was only 2.4% but yet he shot the puck often considering his usage and up-down season last year.

While I think Barbie has been excellent this year. These are the 2 I hope Thomas plays with until Fabbri moves up or Sunny goes cold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad