Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Last night was the first game of the year that Thomas finally had players that matched his playing style. He had Fabs that matches his speed, agility and playmaking. Then you got a defensively responsible Sundqvist as the shooter. Regardless of Sunny’s upside. He likes to shoot the puck, last year his shooting % was only 2.4% but yet he shot the puck often considering his usage and up-down season last year.

While I think Barbie has been excellent this year. These are the 2 I hope Thomas plays with until Fabbri moves up or Sunny goes cold.

I think just adding Fabbri to that line helps out a lot more than the substitution of Sunny for Barby. I get what you are saying about Sunny shooting a lot but I still think that Barbashev is capable of that and is an extreme compliment to the two with the way he’s been retrieving the puck and forechecking. It Sundqvist shoots over 10% that may change my mind, I just don’t like that the numbers game leaves Barby out with how consistent he has been especially on the forecheck and pk.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Last night was the first game of the year that Thomas finally had players that matched his playing style. He had Fabs that matches his speed, agility and playmaking. Then you got a defensively responsible Sundqvist as the shooter. Regardless of Sunny’s upside. He likes to shoot the puck, last year his shooting % was only 2.4% but yet he shot the puck often considering his usage and up-down season last year.

While I think Barbie has been excellent this year. These are the 2 I hope Thomas plays with until Fabbri moves up or Sunny goes cold.

Sundqvist has 4 goals in 73 NHL games, or .054 G/gm. Barbashev has 13 in 93 games. or .140 G/gm. I'll take the guy who shoots a little less, but converts a lot more.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I mean the same can be said about both Robbys

Very true. I'm hoping Yeo sees he has two top 9 forwards on his 4th line and plays them at least 11-12 minutes a night soon. Heck Fabbri is a legit top 6 winger when his legs are completely back to 100%.

He has a matchup nightmare there right now. He has to use it more going forward.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Very true. I'm hoping Yeo sees he has two top 9 forwards on his 4th line and plays them at least 11-12 minutes a night soon. Heck Fabbri is a legit top 6 winger when his legs are completely back to 100%.

He has a matchup nightmare there right now. He has to use it more going forward.

He’s had it all season and hasn’t wanted to deploy it honestly. Kyrou has the same skill level as Fabbri personally I just think it’s hard for a young guy to get their foot in the door, learn the defensive side of the game, gain trust in the coach and succeed with less than 10 min TOI a game. The numbers game really isn’t all that beneficial for us. But, it’s not hurting us as we are scoring now.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
He’s had it all season and hasn’t wanted to deploy it honestly. Kyrou has the same skill level as Fabbri personally I just think it’s hard for a young guy to get their foot in the door, learn the defensive side of the game, gain trust in the coach and succeed with less than 10 min TOI a game. The numbers game really isn’t all that beneficial for us. But, it’s not hurting us as we are scoring now.

Kyrou doesn't have the same skill level as Fabbri. I'm a big fan of Kyrou but facts are facts. Fabbri broke into the NHL at 19 and led the team in points during the playoffs. Kyrou is a very gifted player. He doesn't have the will, or tenacity that Fabbri has. That really is the biggest difference in the two. Kyrou is a faster version of a young Perron. I said at training camp if Fabbri stays healthy he's going to surprise a lot of people. There have been plenty of fans that wanted to trade Fabbri for scraps because of the injury risk. I'm glad they're table top GM's only.

When healthy Fabbri > Schwartz

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Kyrou doesn't have the same skill level as Fabbri. I'm a big fan of Kyrou but facts are facts. Fabbri broke into the NHL at 19 and led the team in points during the playoffs. Kyrou is a very gifted player. He doesn't have the will, or tenacity that Fabbri has. That really is the biggest difference in the two. Kyrou is a faster version of a young Perron. I said at training camp if Fabbri stays healthy he's going to surprise a lot of people. There have been plenty of fans that wanted to trade Fabbri for scraps because of the injury risk. I'm glad they're table top GM's only.

When healthy Fabbri > Schwartz

That wasn’t meant as a slight at Fabbri. The fact remains both players are highly skilled players. I was giving the benefit of the doubt to a Kyrou as Fabbri hasn’t exactly played a competitive game in well over a year.

I don’t think I can agree with the Fabbri better than Schwartz thing.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
He’s had it all season and hasn’t wanted to deploy it honestly. Kyrou has the same skill level as Fabbri personally I just think it’s hard for a young guy to get their foot in the door, learn the defensive side of the game, gain trust in the coach and succeed with less than 10 min TOI a game.

The difference is confidence and experience. Fabbri stepped into the lineup last night looking like he has been in the league 10 years. He's a legit top 6 player. We're just slowly working his legs back to 100% so he doesn't get hurt and is fresh all year.

Kyrou was a lot more hesitant with the puck. Even when Kyrou did try to use his skill and be confident, he didn't really have much of a plan. He'd try to skate and stick work past two defenders.

There is a reason Kyrou is back in San Antonio. He just wasn't ready. I saw the flashes of skill but it was clear that he wasn't ready for the NHL. AHL time is going to be great for him.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Replacing Sundqvist with Kyrou would make that line extremely exciting. The speed and skill would be tantalizing. Sunny had a good game but one good game doesn't change the fact he simply can't convert at an NHL level. Even Barbashev would be better at RW.

I'd love to see it but it'll probably never happen.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Replacing Sundqvist with Kyrou would make that line extremely exciting. The speed and skill would be tantalizing. Sunny had a good game but one good game doesn't change the fact he simply can't convert at an NHL level. Even Barbashev would be better at RW.

I'd love to see it but it'll probably never happen.

We'll see Barbie at RW with them soon. Not tomorrow but soon. I'm excited for that.

I just don't think Kyrou should be down on that line. His defensive game leaves a lot to be desired and he's not going to gain confidence playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line.

Give him 17-18 minutes a night in San Antonio for a few months.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The difference is confidence and experience. Fabbri stepped into the lineup last night looking like he has been in the league 10 years. He's a legit top 6 player. We're just slowly working his legs back to 100% so he doesn't get hurt and is fresh all year.

Kyrou was a lot more hesitant with the puck. Even when Kyrou did try to use his skill and be confident, he didn't really have much of a plan. He'd try to skate and stick work past two defenders.

There is a reason Kyrou is back in San Antonio. He just wasn't ready. I saw the flashes of skill but it was clear that he wasn't ready for the NHL. AHL time is going to be great for him.

I don’t disagree with you at all there. I will say though confidence and comfort which is what I saw Kyrou lacking is extremely hard to gain being shuffled up and down the lineup getting essentially 10 shift trials with each player especially while trying to learn the pro game isn’t a great environment for a young player with his skill set. It’s not a talent equation with either Thomas or Kyrou imo it’s a usage and comfort issue. I’d really like to know what message was being portrayed to them once the season started.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Sundqvist has 4 goals in 73 NHL games, or .054 G/gm. Barbashev has 13 in 93 games. or .140 G/gm. I'll take the guy who shoots a little less, but converts a lot more.

My comment wasn’t a Barbashev vs. Sundqvist argument. It was a simple statement regarding playmakers needing to play with shooters. Thomas is still more of the playmaker type. Not the balanced type that ROR and Schenn are. Yeo isn’t going to sit Sundqvist or Thomas tomorrow after last nights game. Nor should he.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Sundqvist is a little less redundant than the smaller, more skilled Thomas, Kyrou, Fabbri, Barbie, and none of them have been getting much PP ice time (or offensive zone starts) from the 4th line. He certainly isnt as skilled as the rest of them, but he has size and speed and can create space. Sundqvist is only a few months older than Sanford and he has produced a little at the AHL, and he hasnt looked out of place so far this season.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Sundqvist is a little less redundant than the smaller, more skilled Thomas, Kyrou, Fabbri, Barbie, and none of them have been getting much PP ice time (or offensive zone starts) from the 4th line. He certainly isnt as skilled as the rest of them, but he has size and speed and can create space. Sundqvist is only a few months older than Sanford and he has produced a little at the AHL, and he hasnt looked out of place so far this season.

For two games, the play constantly died on Sundqvist's stick. He was good last game and that's it. Credit where credit is due, but no further.

Barbashev has looked very good and hasn't gotten to play with a guy like Fabbri on his line. Even when he was one of the few Blues who looked good, they still didn't shuffle him up in the lineup - but now he's sitting because Yeo is playing blind musical chairs with the bottom end of the lineup out of desperation for his job.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
For two games, the play constantly died on Sundqvist's stick. He was good last game and that's it. Credit where credit is due, but no further.

Barbashev has looked very good and hasn't gotten to play with a guy like Fabbri on his line. Even when he was one of the few Blues who looked good, they still didn't shuffle him up in the lineup - but now he's sitting because Yeo is playing blind musical chairs with the bottom end of the lineup out of desperation for his job.

To be fair, there’s no chance he was sitting after scoring two goals. If he doesn’t play like he did the other night, he’ll likely be out next game for Barbie or Sosh.

Reactions: BlueDream

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
To be fair, there’s no chance he was sitting after scoring two goals. If he doesn’t play like he did the other night, he’ll likely be out next game for Barbie or Sosh.

I totally agree. He deserves to keep playing. But I thought he DID look out of place until last game. Does a guy deserve a couple games to get his feet under him? Sure, but I think other players earned chances they didn't receive, so it just seems like Yeo is throwing crap at the wall.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I totally agree. He deserves to keep playing. But I thought he DID look out of place until last game. Does a guy deserve a couple games to get his feet under him? Sure, but I think other players earned chances they didn't receive, so it just seems like Yeo is throwing crap at the wall.

We’re for sure on the same page here. I was one who also ate crow for being mad about him being in the lineup last game.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
IMO, this is where the Yeo criticism gets a little ridiculous. The team is struggling, is he not supposed to tinker with the lineup? People around here will criticize regardless if he does something or he doesnt. Again, we are talking about the 4th line winger here. Bitch about Bouwmeester playing 20 mins a game, not this.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
IMO, this is where the Yeo criticism gets a little ridiculous. The team is struggling, is he not supposed to tinker with the lineup? People around here will criticize regardless if he does something or he doesnt. Again, we are talking about the 4th line winger here. ***** about Bouwmeester playing 20 mins a game, not this.

Straight up, make changes with the players who aren't performing, not the ones who are. And don't give opportunities to some players you aren't willing to give to others. Blais got so much time on scoring lines and looked like crap. Barbashev looked very good and didn't get the same chance. That's the same brain that keeps putting Bouwmeester out there. It comes from the same set of busted priorities.

Reactions: TK 421

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
8 games played for Thomas.. will it be 9 and back to Juniors or is he staying all year??

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Four helpers through 9 games, while getting 4th line minutes, isn’t bad. He needed to shoot on the 2 on 1 rush tonight. That’s most likely a result of his confidence still isn’t what it needs to be.

Fabbri O’Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Schenn

I’d like to see that top 6 in a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino