Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
How has he been since early december? Someone's offering me Thomas + Kyrou for Larkin in my simulated league and I'm tempted.

What's your take guys?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
How has he been since early december? Someone's offering me Thomas + Kyrou for Larkin in my simulated league and I'm tempted.

What's your take guys?

He’s been the best source of 5V5 offense for the better part of the last 30 gamesish. Hes a stud

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

What's your take guys?

I seem to remember seeing that Thomas had posted 20 points in the previous 24 games. After a slow start to the season, he's picking it up.

To be noted Thomas seems to score in clusters (2/3 point games followed by a few 0 point games) and his peripherals are almost non existant - I have him in my dynasty league and I use him sparingly because we score G, A, PPP, SHP, PIMs, Hits and Blocks, Thomas doesn't really play the PK, take many penalties, hit or block reliably.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

What's your take guys?
If Larkin were on a better team I wouldn't do it, but because Thomas is on the Blues, that could be a really good deal. Kyrou and Thomas should both age really well. You likely lose this trade now and next year, but after that you're likely to win it, imo.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Going into last night Robert Thomas ranked 13th in the entire NHL at points per 60 mins played min 500 mins total. All while doing so with bozak/steen/Sanford/sunny/barbs as his linemates.

Excited to see what he can do with more ice time and better wingers in the near future. I’d imagine if he played 16 mins per game w/tarasenko/ whoever rather than 13 with Bozak he’d have the potential to put up some serious numbers

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I'm convinced that if you put a potato on Robert Thomas line that potato is scoring a goal.
giphy.gif

We happen to have one of those on the roster

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Thomas needs to make better decisions in 3 on 3. He is still playing 3 on 3 like the entire league was when it was first introduced and coaches hadn't strategized a lot of the fun out of it. He is fun to watch, but he is trying to beat guys 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 way too often. In out last 2 OTs I can think of 3 times where he has taken an unnecessary risk that gave up possession instead of making a safe/boring play to regroup and keep possession. One of them led to a breakaway GWG and one of them caused OT to open way up last night (which eventually didn't go in our favor).

I'm not at all concerned about him and I don't think his OT ice time should be reduced. Just something that a 20 year old needs to work on in the video room. When these types of little things are your biggest gripe for a 20 year old, you have somebody special.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Thomas needs to make better decisions in 3 on 3. He is still playing 3 on 3 like the entire league was when it was first introduced and coaches hadn't strategized a lot of the fun out of it. He is fun to watch, but he is trying to beat guys 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 way too often. In out last 2 OTs I can think of 3 times where he has taken an unnecessary risk that gave up possession instead of making a safe/boring play to regroup and keep possession. One of them led to a breakaway GWG and one of them caused OT to open way up last night (which eventually didn't go in our favor).

I'm not at all concerned about him and I don't think his OT ice time should be reduced. Just something that a 20 year old needs to work on in the video room.
All good points. There is absolutely no need to try to use speed and quickness to CREATE open space in 3 on 3 because it is already there. OT is about being patient, possessing the puck, and using speed and quickness WITHIN open space to get yourself or a teammate an open look.

I haven't liked our cycle game at all in the last few OT sessions. We seem too eager to push low percentage plays, either through speed and moves like Thomas or through brute force like some of the bigger guys. There is zero value to engaging an opponent when you have the puck, just wait for some open ice and a better opportunity.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Starting with the first game after Christmas, he has 23 points in 26 games, a pace of 72 point per 82 games. On top of that, he is still getting just over 15 minutes of ice time a game, leaving him at a whopping 3.51 point/60 minutes in that stretch. I think he has a legitimate chance to put up 60-65 points next season if he stays healthy and as the 2C, especially if they have the comfort level to increase his ice time to closer to 17 minutes a night.

Mar 6, 2012
I'm hoping that when they get Tarasenko back they put him with Thomas. I think those two could work really well together.

Reactions: KirkOut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Jesus! Who's idea was it to draft this bum????

I was pissed when we took him over Kostin. Ok, I’m an idiot. Then eventually when I saw the trade with the Pens and we took Kostin, I was like oh baby. Schenn (trade obviously ), Thomas and Kostin in the same draft was quite a haul.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Fun fact, Robert Thomas is now 3rd among all players in points from his draft class behind just Nico Hischer And Elias Pettersson.

If we did a redraft today, I’d say Thomas goes 4th or 5th behind Elias, Heiskanen, and Makar, with Hischer and Thomas battling for 4th. I’d take both over Hischer, Necas, and Suzuki.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Fun fact, Robert Thomas is now 3rd among all players in points from his draft class behind just Nico Hischer And Elias Pettersson.

If we did a redraft today, I’d say Thomas goes 4th or 5th behind Elias, Heiskanen, and Makar, with Hischer and Thomas battling for 4th. I’d take both over Hischer, Necas, and Suzuki.
Agreed with hesitation. I’d have to think long and hard about Necas versus Thomas. They’re both great. I think Thomas fits our team better with his elusiveness and cycle game where Necas is a better fit for a rush team.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Oh no way! I was told by Habs fans that Suzuki is actually Wayne Gretzky but better. Huh, probably should have fact checked that in retrospect.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Oh no way! I was told by Habs fans that Suzuki is actually Wayne Gretzky but better. Huh, probably should have fact checked that in retrospect.
I almost brought up that poll thread. Then I remembered MTL fans do this every single time they have a new player. Domi, Drouin, Mete, Kotkaniemi and now Suzuki. He'll settle into a good 50/60pt guy. Not bad for a 13th pick but he will not be "elite"

Fun fact is Thomas is slightly out producing him with less ice time

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I almost brought up that poll thread. Then I remembered MTL fans do this every single time they have a new player. Domi, Drouin, Mete, Kotkaniemi and now Suzuki. He'll settle into a good 50/60pt guy. Not bad for a 13th pick but he will not be "elite"

Fun fact is Thomas is slightly out producing him with less ice time

Thomas is by far the most underrated from the ‘17 draft. I had him in my top ten goin into the draft and would Probly take hiM at #4 in a re-draft. U just can’t teach smarts and elite hockey sense and I’m learning more and more that a lot of the “experts” out there just frankly don’t possess any ability to see those sorts of intangibles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad