Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Reminiscent of Fabbri. Hopefully Robert can stay healthy unlike Robby. Which makes me sad because Fabbri had so much talent.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Reminiscent of Fabbri. Hopefully Robert can stay healthy unlike Robby. Which makes me sad because Fabbri had so much talent.
I'm probably less concerned about Fabbri than most, but I think he'll be fine after getting a "normal" offseason under his belt. His wheels seem to be just fine and there doesn't seem to be any lingering injury issues at all, he just seemed to lose his "feel" for the game and was consistently months behind his teammates and opponents in being able to find it again. I think an off season of training and getting back in a familiar routine will have him back to being a viable middle six winger option by training camp.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm probably less concerned about Fabbri than most, but I think he'll be fine after getting a "normal" offseason under his belt. His wheels seem to be just fine and there doesn't seem to be any lingering injury issues at all, he just seemed to lose his "feel" for the game and was consistently months behind his teammates and opponents in being able to find it again. I think an off season of training and getting back in a familiar routine will have him back to being a viable middle six winger option by training camp.

I share your 'not as concerned as others' stance on Fabbri, but probably not to the same degree. He received full medical clearance in late June last summer and was a full participant in the Biosteel camp. I expected a long period of time to shake of the rust, but he did have a pretty 'normal' offseason last year.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I share your 'not as concerned as others' stance on Fabbri, but probably not to the same degree. He received full medical clearance in late June last summer and was a full participant in the Biosteel camp. I expected a long period of time to shake of the rust, but he did have a pretty 'normal' offseason last year.
I think a normal offseason when you’re just getting back from injury and one when you’ve been healthy is different. I also think Fabbri never really had a long runout. Wish we could have sent him to the AHL the second half of the season.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I think a normal offseason when you’re just getting back from injury and one when you’ve been healthy is different. I also think Fabbri never really had a long runout. Wish we could have sent him to the AHL the second half of the season.
Fabbri might get a rule named after him, if that means anything. I know the plan is for the league to discuss an exemption for exceptionally injured players to go to the AHL.

Reactions: stl76

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Fabbri might get a rule named after him, if that means anything. I know the plan is for the league to discuss an exemption for exceptionally injured players to go to the AHL.

The sad part? I don't think that Fabbri will ever get the chance to benefit from said rule by the time it comes to be.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It is a fast line, but they will need someone who can really assist with the cycle and provide a physical presence.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
And someone who can play defense

I wonder how Barbashev would look on that line?

Barbs-Thomas-Kyrou

Barby can bring a physical element and play defensively responsibly. The question becomes can he be an effective complement to the cycle, replicating the success Maroon has shown with possession?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder how Barbashev would look on that line?

Barbs-Thomas-Kyrou

Barby can bring a physical element and play defensively responsibly. The question becomes can he be an effective complement to the cycle, replicating the success Maroon has shown with possession?
Barbashev is one of those guys who I don’t know how I feel about. He is ok at a lot, but I need to see more from him.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Barbashev is one of those guys who I don’t know how I feel about. He is ok at a lot, but I need to see more from him.

I just feel like Maroon won't be able to maintain his effectiveness long term he's been showing in the playoffs. (Playing style, age)

My hope is we have an internal replacement that may be able to learn from Maroon and replicate some of the elements that made Maroon so effective this post-season.

MacMac and Barbashev are 2 candidates for that physical element on the LW. Barbashev sticks out as better defensively of the 2. Both have some finishing ability, but neither of them are the pure shooters we've been discussing Thomas' playmaking needs to shine.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see something along the lines of this next year

Schwartz-O’Reilly-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou

ROR gets two wingers who fit his game, Thomas gets two guys who can put it in the net, and Bozak gets his fast/skilled guys he usually needs to be successful.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Wouldn’t be surprised to see something along the lines of this next year

Schwartz-O’Reilly-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Bozak-Kyrou

ROR gets two wingers who fit his game, Thomas gets two guys who can put it in the net, and Bozak gets his fast/skilled guys he usually needs to be successful.
Sorry to nit-pick, but that 3rd line is an absolute liability defensively.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That Scott Burnside piece in the Athletic is great, and definitely worth a read. A couple highlights are the way the Tkachuk family has nurtured him as a player. What a great opportunity for him to hang out with a HOF and two 1st round guys making it in the league, just breaking down games for fun. But what stood out the most to me was how Keith told him to "do what O'Reilly does" and how deliberately Thomas is using Ryan as a role model. I don't know how Buffalo thought their culture could be better without O'Reilly. But he's been an amazing addition for the Blues on multiple levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad