Rick Tocchet sucks

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If your Barroway, which one decision would you change, if you could have a do over, sine you became the owner?

The decision of not hiring an experienced hockey guru for president to over see the hockey operations.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hiring Tocchet.

Nelson or Keefe?

Nelson. I like Van Ryn in Tuscon though, maybe a potential successor one day

That should be the GM's responsibility and should fall on Chyka's shoulders, and if AB was involved it just shows his inexperience in running this type of business. You hire the best people for their position and let them do their job. There are only a select few who can fill these rolls and even fewer who are good at it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There are only a select few who can fill these rolls and even fewer who are good at it.

John Chayka is far from the only GM who has made a mistake in choosing a new head coach for his team. And let's be frank - even the greatest coaches in history don't always work out in certain circumstances. Scotty Bowman coached the greatest team of the 1970s - one of the best teams in league history - but was an abject failure when he left Montreal and went to Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Then, when he got to Detroit, suddenly he was Superman again.

As someone who thought the Chayka hire was frightening, I've had to eat crow with about 70% of Chayka's moves - trades, signings, draft picks, hires, etc. A 70/30 ratio is not bad for any GM, particularly one his age with his lack of prior experience - even if right now it looks like his 30% mistakes have made this year a disaster. I'd still take Chayka any day over Mike Barnett, and if I'm being honest I'd probably take him over Maloney, too - particularly given Maloney's "bloodline drafts," his penchant for only trading with his pals, and the John Scott fiasco.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
John Chayka is far from the only GM who has made a mistake in choosing a new head coach for his team. And let's be frank - even the greatest coaches in history don't always work out in certain circumstances. Scotty Bowman coached the greatest team of the 1970s - one of the best teams in league history - but was an abject failure when he left Montreal and went to Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Then, when he got to Detroit, suddenly he was Superman again.

As someone who thought the Chayka hire was frightening, I've had to eat crow with about 70% of Chayka's moves - trades, signings, draft picks, hires, etc. A 70/30 ratio is not bad for any GM, particularly one his age with his lack of prior experience - even if right now it looks like his 30% mistakes have made this year a disaster. I'd still take Chayka any day over Mike Barnett, and if I'm being honest I'd probably take him over Maloney, too - particularly given Maloney's "bloodline drafts," his penchant for only trading with his pals, and the John Scott fiasco.

You missing my point. They need someone to over see the hockey operations. That includes the GM. I wasn't knocking Chayka.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You missing my point. They need someone to over see the hockey operations. That includes the GM. I wasn't knocking Chayka.

Chayka is the President of Hockey Operations. He has two AGMs (Sullivan and O'Hearn) and a Director of Hockey Ops (Jake Goldberg). But the buck stops with Chayka. The only oversight he has is Barroway. That's the best setup - having an owner as President of Hockey Ops and the head coach as Executive VP of Hockey Ops like they had with IceArizona was an unnecessarily byzantine and political org chart.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka is the President of Hockey Operations. He has two AGMs (Sullivan and O'Hearn) and a Director of Hockey Ops (Jake Goldberg). But the buck stops with Chayka. The only oversight he has is Barroway. That's the best setup - having an owner as President of Hockey Ops and the head coach as Executive VP of Hockey Ops like they had with IceArizona was an unnecessarily byzantine and political org chart.

GM should be Chayka only. He has no business having more authority than that. I still maintain they need and experienced President.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I am pretty sure I agree with this. If I purchased the team, the first thing I would do is make sure I have the right guy in charge of anything to do with hockey operations. I say that because, I have no experience running a hockey team and neither did Barroway even though he has been involved as an owner for a while. Owning a business and running a business are two different things. The key is having the right operator and the right people in management. Barroway likely thought he knew what he was doing and he liked Chayka, so Chayka became his guy. How much of Chayka's decisions are really Barroway's is hard to tell.

An experienced operator might have kept Tip. It depends on the rift and the power taken away from Tip and maybe the new direction of the team. Maybe Tip would have exited regardless. Neither Barroway or Chayka have or had the experience to hire and pick out an inexperienced head coach. An experienced operator would be more qualified to pick an inexperienced head coach that could step into the roll and do a nice job. Barroway/Chayka could have hired an experienced head coach but they didn't know what they didn't know about hiring a head coach.

Chayka has his arms wrapped around player trade and drafting decisions. He has years of experience with analytics to make these moves. So far so good, he hasn't done anything really stupid. Picking a head coach is totally different, and Chayka/Barroway simply weren't qualified to make this hire. Becasue of the pretty bad year most players are having on an individual basis (Reider/Domi as examples), the trade value of many players has been reduced. In my opinion since Tocc hasn't put players in a position to succeed, it makes them tougher to evaluate for Chayka or any other GM. It's not easy to determine the core problem in this situation, who to keep, who to ship out, etc... This gets back to an experienced hockey operations person under Barroway and above Chayka to evaluate this team, the coach, and it's players. If I were the owner today, that would be the hire I would make, to evaluate everything, before I do anything else.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Approximately 20,374,370 seconds have elapsed since 8pm, 22 June 2017.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I wanted Nelson and thought RT was dismal out of the gate and said as much, but has improved. In fact, I actually like what RT is doing and has done, since he's started implementing structure. He's kept a very young team on task and competitive for the most part. He's managed to do this as the losses have mounted - no easy task and I see improvement. So basically I disagree with the premise of this thread and it's title.

Edit: Sorry, looks like I had already posted my thoughts on this earlier. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: kbay

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
All that aside, how long do we need to suffer until we can fire Tocchet without having his contract buyout cripple us even further?

I would guess it could happen if DT gets another gig (I believe that would "uncripple" us--doesn't that lessen or eliminate the buyout?). I'd still wait until the end of the season (if DT finds a job before then), but I could also see giving him one more season if the team improves a bit the rest of this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am pretty sure I agree with this. If I purchased the team, the first thing I would do is make sure I have the right guy in charge of anything to do with hockey operations. I say that because, I have no experience running a hockey team and neither did Barroway even though he has been involved as an owner for a while. Owning a business and running a business are two different things. The key is having the right operator and the right people in management. Barroway likely thought he knew what he was doing and he liked Chayka, so Chayka became his guy. How much of Chayka's decisions are really Barroway's is hard to tell.

An experienced operator might have kept Tip. It depends on the rift and the power taken away from Tip and maybe the new direction of the team. Maybe Tip would have exited regardless. Neither Barroway or Chayka have or had the experience to hire and pick out an inexperienced head coach. An experienced operator would be more qualified to pick an inexperienced head coach that could step into the roll and do a nice job. Barroway/Chayka could have hired an experienced head coach but they didn't know what they didn't know about hiring a head coach.

Chayka has his arms wrapped around player trade and drafting decisions. He has years of experience with analytics to make these moves. So far so good, he hasn't done anything really stupid. Picking a head coach is totally different, and Chayka/Barroway simply weren't qualified to make this hire. Becasue of the pretty bad year most players are having on an individual basis (Reider/Domi as examples), the trade value of many players has been reduced. In my opinion since Tocc hasn't put players in a position to succeed, it makes them tougher to evaluate for Chayka or any other GM. It's not easy to determine the core problem in this situation, who to keep, who to ship out, etc... This gets back to an experienced hockey operations person under Barroway and above Chayka to evaluate this team, the coach, and it's players. If I were the owner today, that would be the hire I would make, to evaluate everything, before I do anything else.
Good post

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Worst coach ever with worst system
15-32-10 40pts

Previous season
20-30-7 47pts
Completely unprovoked mention of he who shall not be mentioned! Violation of the great treaty of the tocchet sucks thread! Lay down arms soldier, the war is over.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Completely unprovoked mention of he who shall not be mentioned! Violation of the great treaty of the tocchet sucks thread! Lay down arms soldier, the war is over.
I am just documenting the huge step backward this coach who sucks has been. In the thread about his suckage. I didn't even name coaches. Whatever inferential conclusions you made as the reader as a result of the data is on you.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That comment makes the players look dumb. He should have said something like "after adjustments to the system, the team is playing very well".
He's a kid. Also, glad we won 2 in a row but the Hawks and Sharks outplayed us.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Hawks outplayed us? What universe are you living in?
The universe where one team has the puck all the time reflected in their shot total of 38 versus the coyotes 22. Raanata played great and the Hawks goal tending was horrible, thats why we won and they lost. Somewhat equal goal tending and the Hawks win that game easily. I am glad we won, but lets not kid ourselves about why we won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad