Rick Tocchet sucks

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
At the risk of furthering this stupid proxy slap fight, it's also worth noting that the last team started the season 1-6 and had a 9 game losing streak in December (expanded to 2-12-1)

They both sucked news at 11. But the idea that the current team had all that much lower lows is pretty questionable to say the least.

And in fact if you expand the exact same sample size like I did the 9 game losing streak, the start of this season was 12-2-1. That number looks familiar....

I can totally buy the idea that being bad the first month is worse than being bad later. But let's not act like this happened out of nowhere, Tocchet didn't make Domingue start ducking under shots 2 weeks into the season. What's the 16/17 teams excuse for going 2-12-1? Cause Domingue is a pretty good one and the evidence of the difference in this team's performance since is pretty good.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
They have mattered in the respect that several players are playing for their jobs next season.

Most of last year’s team mailed it in for the last two months. So far this one hasn’t shown any signs of doing that.
Last year the team was filled with one year players who knew from the onset that they weren't playing for a job on the team the next year. My comment was not comparing last year to this year.

Playing well for jobs is far less impressive than playing well in a playoff race. Some of us seem to be overly optimistic based upon the play in meaningless games.

My comment was also not meant to compare Tocchet to Tippet. (Crossing all my T's here :). Based upon the second half, I am no longer on the warpath to can Tocchet this summer. I'm happy to see what he can do behind the bench next year. We don't need to make the playoffs IMO, but if the team looks lost out there, I want him sacked.

Reactions: kbay and Sthlmyote

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
They have mattered in the respect that several players are playing for their jobs next season.

Most of last year’s team mailed it in for the last two months. So far this one hasn’t shown any signs of doing that.
That is a big thing this year and a huge positive that I think has been overlooked. The teams entire narrative this year has been different despite similar point totals to last year.

For a handful of years we have been hearing "playoffs" and seen moves that resemble a rebuild or just feel stagnant, which I think had been projected in the locker room and showed on the ice. In the off season we made a bunch of moves that resembled a team that wants to play in the playoffs. Sure, we started off terrible and have fallen far short, but you can see it on the ice and with management that we want to win, we want to improve, and mediocrity is not acceptable even when it doesn't matter.

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

We're also playing teams who need points, like Calgary and LA recently.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Last year the team was filled with one year players who knew from the onset that they weren't playing for a job on the team the next year. My comment was not comparing last year to this year.

Playing well for jobs is far less impressive than playing well in a playoff race. Some of us seem to be overly optimistic based upon the play in meaningless games.

My comment was also not meant to compare Tocchet to Tippet. (Crossing all my T's here :). Based upon the second half, I am no longer on the warpath to can Tocchet this summer. I'm happy to see what he can do behind the bench next year. We don't need to make the playoffs IMO, but if the team looks lost out there, I want him sacked.

Didn’t take your post as a coaching comparison. Players have to take on a large portion of the responsibility because they are the ones with the choice on how they play.

In some respects the games don’t matter because there’s no playoff forthcoming.

But at that point you have two choices. You can let the losing culture take over or you can fight to keep it out of the room.

Some of that culture was there early in the season. Easy to happen with all the changes that came about, and probably a little bit of carry over from the previous year. But there’s been a change somewhere along the way. You don’t see the team sitting on leads as much as we used to see. And even when behind late they’re still competing.

There’s still a lot of work to be done between now and next fall for certain. But it should start now with everyone buying into the attitude that every game matters.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This years roster is way better.
Even if you forget the first 20 games, we are on a 70 point pace. Same as last year with a better roster. That is still a failure
20% worse with a better roster, good point!
They aren't on a 72 point pace. They are on a low 50 point pace. With the roster additions, this season, as a whole, is a major disappointment, no other way to spin it.

Bumping because not only are we above last year's total at 77 games, already have more ROW than last year with five games left, and lowered our GA/GP, SA/GP and raised our GF/GP, SF/GP, but because I also accidentally ran across this while looking for something else:
cobra427 said:
I hope we are much better than last year but it is more hope then reality. Our only significant upgrade is:
Chalmers replacing Schenn. Stepan is better than Hanzal but not by a lot.

Up in the air:

Smith, doubt his replacement is as good or better.
Verby, his 50 points will be missed.
Duclair/Strome/DVO/Keller/Chychrun- Do they all improve, all get worse, or some place in between.
I thought the line was we were WAY better this year except coaching? To be fair we added Demers after that post, but he started out the season poorly, so I don't think he was the major upgrade being touted. What else changed?!

Last edited:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
:laugh:

Talking about Tochett, I really liked him in Pittsburgh. Clearly, some of you guys aren’t so keen of him.

Reactions: CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Wait.., what? I... Well,... Hrm... Okay... I guess, they ... Well, uh... Hmm...

Welcome to the Coyotes, Sir Charles ;) this is turrhible!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Note the date of the release - April 1

I was documenting the process of my reaction. I even edited it to add the winky face and "turrihble" to try to avoid the impression I needed to have the joke explained to me. :(

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I dunno Chuck was there for the ceremonial puck drop right when the winning streak started.

Chuck should own the Coyotes not just work for them.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Chuck is just gonna give the kids a pep talk every couple weeks and give the team free promotion. Can’t really hurt anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad