Rick Tocchet sucks

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The universe where one team has the puck all the time reflected in their shot total of 38 versus the coyotes 22. Raanata played great and the Hawks goal tending was horrible, thats why we won and they lost. Somewhat equal goal tending and the Hawks win that game easily. I am glad we won, but lets not kid ourselves about why we won.
Same reason why last year's team had more points than this year's after the same amount of games. Goaltending. Even those several top tier players on Chicago can't over come the same type of goaltending we had for a good portion of the season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Same reason why last year's team had more points than this year's after the same amount of games. Goaltending. Even those several top tier players on Chicago can't over come the same type of goaltending we had for a good portion of the season.
I'll agree that Smith is better then Raanta/Loui/Wedge and Smith was money, carried the team last year. This years roster is way better. Early this season, we weren't outshooting anyone 38-22 and then losing the game. If we were, I would agree with you. Goal tending was the scape goat early in the season, It wasn't good but the bigger problem was our defense. The Hawks have major problems even if Crow returns. Rumor has it he could be out for a while.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Smith's stat line last year: 2.92GAA, .914 SV%, 19-26-9.

I don't know where he was carrying us to, but it wasn't a nice place.

Both teams and records sucked. It's just that some try to use the difference in records to prove one team was or should be better than the other. It's a stupid argument. Last year we had more stability and better play in goal. This year we have a little more talent at forward. Neither team is/was good enough to contend for shit and there's still a lot of work to be done on and off the ice. They are starting to play better recently but I'd rather they start selling now. We need a high pick more than the same meaningless wins at the end of a lost season we been seeing for so long.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Smith's stat line last year: 2.92GAA, .914 SV%, 19-26-9.

I don't know where he was carrying us to, but it wasn't a nice place.
He single-handedly stole nearly all our points last year. I think he carried us. The rest of the team was hot garbage.

His stat line is only average at best because he also played like crap every 3rd or 4th game. He's too inconsistent and injury-prone for $6M a season.

But Smith was the difference between another 56 pt season and what we ended up getting, IMO. Our whole game plan was to collapse into our own end and hope Smith makes the saves. Spiced up by dumping or icing the puck to get a change. Go back and watch the games last year. We were hemmed in the zone for periods at a time. Columbus put 60 shots on Mike Smith, and we still got a loser point via shootout. We were worse than this year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He single-handedly stole nearly all our points last year. I think he carried us. The rest of the team was hot garbage.

His stat line is only average at best because he also played like crap every 3rd or 4th game. He's too inconsistent and injury-prone for $6M a season.

But Smith was the difference between another 56 pt season and what we ended up getting, IMO. Our whole game plan was to collapse into our own end and hope Smith makes the saves. Spiced up by dumping or icing the puck to get a change. Go back and watch the games last year. We were hemmed in the zone for periods at a time. Columbus put 60 shots on Mike Smith, and we still got a loser point via shootout. We were worse than this year.

That game plan was longer than just last year. Drove me nuts when I was a STH. Hated most of the game being in the defensive zone.

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'll agree that Smith is better then Raanta/Loui/Wedge and Smith was money, carried the team last year. This years roster is way better. Early this season, we weren't outshooting anyone 38-22 and then losing the game. If we were, I would agree with you. Goal tending was the scape goat early in the season, It wasn't good but the bigger problem was our defense. The Hawks have major problems even if Crow returns. Rumor has it he could be out for a while.

I don't know if Smith is better than Raanta. Both have faults, but I think I would honestly rather have Raanta at his price and age, than Smith at his, especially for this team.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Sorry boys, but you're cracking my ass up here. It's no wonder so many of you seem to have hated DT, if you think his actual game plan was to turtle in the D zone and wait for an opportunity to dump and change. Oh my!

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sorry boys, but you're cracking my ass up here. It's no wonder so many of you seem to have hated DT, if you think his actual game plan was to turtle in the D zone and wait for an opportunity to dump and change. Oh my!

:laugh: Exactly. Those posters need :help:. When are you and Cobra conducting your class on hockey 101 again?

Reactions: cobra427

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
You can be competitive without being a turd. Just look at Raanta's reactions to losing as compared to Smith's reactions to losing.

Perhaps Raanta and Stepan are to good sports sometimes.

Of course, as a Norwegian, I have noted how, say Magnus Carlsen reacts when he looses a chess-game. :laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

That’s a bit of an exaggeration, but his style wasn’t that far off of that. His style is play super defensively, and then try and exploit any hole that comes up. I always compared his style to a boxer counter punching. It’s not the most enjoyable style to watch, and it’s hard to do with inexperienced players, but it can be very effective. He was a very good coach. Just not necessarily the right coach for the direction the team is heading. But neither is Tocchet. Nelson would have been.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That’s a bit of an exaggeration, but his style wasn’t that far off of that. His style is play super defensively, and then try and exploit any hole that comes up. I always compared his style to a boxer counter punching. It’s not the most enjoyable style to watch, and it’s hard to do with inexperienced players, but it can be very effective. He was a very good coach. Just not necessarily the right coach for the direction the team is heading. But neither is Tocchet. Nelson would have been.
His style was to play the hand based on the cards he was dealt. If he had different cards he would play his hand differently. Tocc is trying to play a hand that wasn't dealt to him. Bods/Hanzal/Yandle/Verby (except for one year of Verby with the twins) all had better years with the Coyotes then they have had elsewhere, thats because their coach got the most out of them.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Seven points behind last year with a night and day system, roster turnover, inexperienced players, and a giant stretch of sub NHL goaltending. I don't even like Tocc and his sticky-overload, but it's hysterical to see the "blame the players"-crowd do a 180 after five or six games in October and stick to it.
16-22-9 since the Wedgewood trade. 72 point pace. About what I expected.

Reactions: Yandover and RABBIT

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Not my exaggeration and whomever posted it has since edited, but if you think any coach is content playing in their own end, you're off your rocker, as well. I Doan think you do, as you used "counter punch" as opposed to "rope a dope".
I too wanted Nelson, but RT has come around quite nicely (for some time mow), since the dismal start, in which the team was devoid of structure and puck support.

Reactions: kbay

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You can be competitive without being a turd. Just look at Raanta's reactions to losing as compared to Smith's reactions to losing.
You mean when he went over and screamed at the bench?:) That is just emotion. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Seven points behind last year with a night and day system, roster turnover, inexperienced players, and a giant stretch of sub NHL goaltending. I don't even like Tocc and his sticky-overload, but it's hysterical to see the "blame the players"-crowd do a 180 after five or six games in October and stick to it.
16-22-9 since the Wedgewood trade. 72 point pace. About what I expected.
Listen to RT's presser. He hit the nail on the head. The vets have finally shown up and taken their game to another level. RT has not been perfect, but I have said from day one the vets have to take much blame for this disaster. IF the vets came to play at the start of the year like they are now, we would be sniffing for a play off spot. I have no idea why you keep on comparing this year to last year. This year has been a disaster, get over it. It is what it is. We had 70 pts. last year and you think 72 pts. this year would be an improvement with a much better roster, and the kids having another year under their belt. I would call 72 pts. a big disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad