Rick Tocchet sucks

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yes, and those consequences are harsh, it's called Karma.

There is nothing at all karmic about what's happened this year. What happened in the off-season was that a new owner decided he wanted a change, and change happened. The old coach was as done with this team as Barroway was done with him. The GM made some trades that, on paper, significantly improved this team's roster. And don't just take my word for it - virtually the entire brain trust in KNOWLEDGABLE HOCKEY CIRCLES(tm) agreed with that assessment. And then the GM hired Tocchet based on what Chayka said was a great interview.

Yeah, it sucks - we suck - but it's how business is done in every industry everywhere around the world. You take chances, you make decisions, and sometimes it comes back to bite you. The Tocchet hire not working out probably was a little easier to predict because of Tocchet's previous head coaching results, but the epic collapse took everyone by surprise. It happens. It's business.

Invoking karma, though, is just ridiculous. As if we angered the hockey gods for changing coaches, declining to invite a 36-year-old winger back for a third stint, and trading a surly goalie on the back end of his career. What more could the hockey gods have done to us than has already been done? :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There is nothing at all karmic about what's happened this year. What happened in the off-season was that a new owner decided he wanted a change, and change happened. The old coach was as done with this team as Barroway was done with him. The GM made some trades that, on paper, significantly improved this team's roster. And don't just take my word for it - virtually the entire brain trust in KNOWLEDGABLE HOCKEY CIRCLES(tm) agreed with that assessment. And then the GM hired Tocchet based on what Chayka said was a great interview.

Yeah, it sucks - we suck - but it's how business is done in every industry everywhere around the world. You take chances, you make decisions, and sometimes it comes back to bite you. The Tocchet hire not working out probably was a little easier to predict because of Tocchet's previous head coaching results, but the epic collapse took everyone by surprise. It happens. It's business.

Invoking karma, though, is just ridiculous. As if we angered the hockey gods for changing coaches, declining to invite a 36-year-old winger back for a third stint, and trading a surly goalie on the back end of his career. What more could the hockey gods have done to us than has already been done? :laugh:
Perfect summation. Very well put. Thank you!

Reactions: kbay

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The Hammer/Stepan trades were good trades, agree with that. Business, I assure you, isn't happen stance. Oh well it just happens is BS. An inexperienced owner, inexperienced in running an NHL team, wanted to own 100%, make all the decision, relied on a 28 year old inexperienced GM that never hired a coach in his life to make a key decision. Between the two of them, they got rid of one coach, hired another, and improved the roster. Most posters on this board have been proven dead wrong but don't want to see it or admit to it. This whole year can be summed up in one horrible decision, and yes its Karma:

Old coach>New coach

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I haven't brought it up since he was paid to go away. I just answer when the fan club starts rewriting history. :dunno:
It may be time to just ignore it since it's down to like 1 or 2 people. It would make for a much better forum imo. We need a Tippett truce thread, where both sides agree lay down keyboards and move on.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Cute-Kittens-kittens-16122540-500-313.jpg

Awwww, kittens!!!!

Reactions: kbay and SniperHF

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Nobody cares about the old coach. Nobody wants to hear about the old coach. Can we all please shut up about the old coach?

I like to talk about the old coach but not the old dinosaur coach. Let's stop talking about the old dinosaur coach.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Nothing cosmic or karmic about this.

The issue is that the team positioned itself on what was believed to be the best way possible.

We didn't want a veteran cast like Doan in the leadership position. That's fine. He has to retire at some point. I think we just handled his exit poorly.

Everything else appears to be more opinion than fact. If our old coach didn't want to be here, do you really think that he would have waited until 2-3 days before the draft before saying he wasn't in it? I can't buy into that logic.

We realized how young of a team we had and started to add the veteran presence that was needed to help the youth along. It hasn't worked. I don't know if we just happened to be duped into taking players who were wearing down, but we also appear to have won most of those trades, when you look at what our returns have done vs what we have away. This is no different than when our free agent acquisitions like Downie didn't work out.

All that I know is that most times, teams that make improvements should do just that (not just in name only, since there was a lot of garbage about how players weren't responding to the system). Every single mention of the team and the direction that it appeared to be headed had some sort of glittery rainbow with unicorns buzzing around, and there was no way we could be worse than what it was. But then, that blew up in our faces. Even if people may not think that we were on the right path with our old coach, maybe we were closer to the right path than what was thought, and the line that we drew to get to this season was littered with opinions and not facts. Opinions like Doan's loss won't hurt the team, or that the style completely inhibited our youth.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The thing is, when buying a new business, you do not have the experience or knowledge to run that business at 100%, and that is where AB made his biggest mistake. If you buy a franchise you have to take training before the franchise agreement is transferred. Franchisor's know the chance of the new owner being successful is almost zero without training. AB, I'm sure has experience buying and selling businesses in the past, but it boggles my mind why he didn't hire a experienced and knowledgeable hockey man to over see this operation. I would guess he thought he had it under control after on the job training from previous owners, but this is a multi million dollar business. AB made his bed and now he is laying in it.

The Hammer/Stepan trades were good trades, agree with that. Business, I assure you, isn't happen stance. Oh well it just happens is BS. An inexperienced owner, inexperienced in running an NHL team, wanted to own 100%, make all the decision, relied on a 28 year old inexperienced GM that never hired a coach in his life to make a key decision. Between the two of them, they got rid of one coach, hired another, and improved the roster. Most posters on this board have been proven dead wrong but don't want to see it or admit to it. This whole year can be summed up in one horrible decision, and yes its Karma:

Old coach>New coach

There was more than one decision that made this season a total waste, and AB is responsible for the biggest mistakes. But make no mistake, everyone involved with this mess has to assume responsibility. IF AB made the right decisions when he took over, a lot of the other mistakes may not have happened, but we will never know for sure. Like they say, things happen for a reason. We know AB can relate to that first hand.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The thing is, when buying a new business, you do not have the experience or knowledge to run that business at 100%, and that is where AB made his biggest mistake. If you buy a franchise you have to take training before the franchise agreement is transferred. Franchisor's know the chance of the new owner being successful is almost zero without training. AB, I'm sure has experience buying and selling businesses in the past, but it boggles my mind why he didn't hire a experienced and knowledgeable hockey man to over see this operation. I would guess he thought he had it under control after on the job training from previous owners, but this is a multi million dollar business. AB made his bed and now he is laying in it.

There was more than one decision that made this season a total waste, and AB is responsible for the biggest mistakes. But make no mistake, everyone involved with this mess has to assume responsibility. IF AB made the right decisions when he took over, a lot of the other mistakes may not have happened, but we will never know for sure. Like they say, things happen for a reason. We know AB can relate to that first hand.
If your Barroway, which one decision would you change, if you could have a do over, sine you became the owner?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
All that aside, how long do we need to suffer until we can fire Tocchet without having his contract buyout cripple us even further?

Reactions: Yandover

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I wanted Nelson from the moment [*******] walked out the door. I was pretty excited when we heard he was being interviewed and then BAM! god damn Rick Tocchet wild card at the last moment and he sweet talks his way into the job :eek:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad