OT: Restaurant thread

Hein57

Feb 5, 2021
Chinese: Hung's Garden on Regent for sure.
Pizza: Royal Pizza (Try the pepperoni and add chicken. The sauce is amazing), Santa Lucia is also quite good.
Food Truck: Island Fusion (Definitely try the Cassava Fries or Island Poutine. Just amazing!)

Reactions: jokesondee

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not really a fan of Superboys. I swear they put cinnamon in their chili which is an affront to God. Best fatboy in the city is Dairi-Wip AIIEC. Ill throw down with anyone who says different. They also have the best fries & chili. Their hotdogs and milkshakes are absolutely killer too.
Agreed about dari-whip, although we always called it "the greeks" with my friends and "johnnys" with my family (my grandma had a chance to buy it way back in the day).

That said, George's puts a good fatboy out there and Burger Factory does a decent job with the special.

I always find it kinda funny that I know every decent burger joint and greasy spoon in the SE end of the city but if you dropped me in the west end I'd be clueless

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Agreed about dari-whip, although we always called it "the greeks" with my friends and "johnnys" with my family (my grandma had a chance to buy it way back in the day).

That said, George's puts a good fatboy out there and Burger Factory does a decent job with the special.

I always find it kinda funny that I know every decent burger joint and greasy spoon in the SE end of the city but if you dropped me in the west end I'd be clueless
Love Burger Factory as well. More of a home made back yard BBQ feel burger but really good none the less. The Georges on McPhillips was superb but theyve shut down unfortunately. Havent really tried the other Georges.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Chinese: Hung's Garden on Regent for sure.
Pizza: Royal Pizza (Try the pepperoni and add chicken. The sauce is amazing), Santa Lucia is also quite good.
Food Truck: Island Fusion (Definitely try the Cassava Fries or Island Poutine. Just amazing!)
For chinese Hungs Garden is great. My favorite is Fortune Cooking on St James.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Y'all are nasty putting chili in burgers, just saying. ;)

It's been six years now, so I can't remember much of the restaurants I went to in Canada. Did the Christmas brunch buffet at the Fairmont in Banff and that was magical. Also did the breakfast buffet at the Komfort Kitchen in Brandon. Plenty of others but I forget. What I do remember more is walking a lot in the freezing cold to Superstore and then coming back via the 7-11 and liquor store. :laugh:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna

The Nook used to make a pretty good burger and the Georges on Ness was good a couple of years ago.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Took the 50 minute round trip from my office today to try Superboys for the first time based off these reviews/endorsements.

The place was very clean for its age, easy parking, the women working the till seemed like she was part of the family that owned the business and she was a total sweetheart. She was friendly and joyous walking a this rookie guest through what to order. I arrived at 11:30 so I got in before the rush. I ordered a Super Boy (the typical Winnipeg Fat boy recipe). I would say it is the best Fat boy I have had in Winnipeg. The burger patty itself was a bit thicker than usual and I literally burnt my mouth on the burger. All the ingredients were fresh and they executed perfectly. Between the food quality and the top notch hospitality I was very really happy that I took the trip to 1480 main street from the deep southeast where my office is.

Thx for the heads up boys!!

I just had Superboys for the first time about a week ago as well. It was the same style of Fat Boy you'd find at Dairi Wip or VJ's, just bigger. Although I certainly enjoyed it, I'd still far prefer Dairi Wip or VJ's.

Nearly all the restaurants that serve a Fat Boy (& even some that don't) all trace their roots back to Junior's & brothers Gus & George Scouras. VJ's present day location was in fact originally a Junior's going back to the late 1950's. They also owned Big Boy in St. James

A Junior's employee, Mike Lambos left circa 1959 to open his own restaurant, the Dairi-Wip on Marion where he coined the term Fat Boy based off the Junior's & Big Boy recipe.

For those that love that burger, you'll love this article regarding the history of an iconic Winnipeg burger.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fat-boy-burger-winnipeg-icon-1.5344645?__vfz=medium=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR1kXd5ZxTAKfkYdffdcX-D8IH5blLiVrlKYhwH46xapWGBYrfE5oje4BRw

Last edited:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I just had Superboys for the first time about a week ago as well. It was the same style of Fat Boy you'd find at Dairi Wip or VJ's, just bigger. Although I certainly enjoyed it, I'd still far prefer Dairi Wip or VJ's.

Nearly all the restaurants that serve a Fat Boy (& even some that don't) all trace their roots back to Junior's & brothers Gus & George Scouras. VJ's present day location was in fact originally a Junior's going back to the late 1950's. They also owned Big Boy in St. James

A Junior's employee, Mike Lambos left circa 1959 to open his own restaurant, the Dairi-Wip on Marion where he coined the term Fat Boy based off the Junior's & Big Boy recipe.

For those that love that burger, you'll love this article regarding the history of an iconic Winnipeg burger.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fat-boy-burger-winnipeg-icon-1.5344645?__vfz=medium=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR1kXd5ZxTAKfkYdffdcX-D8IH5blLiVrlKYhwH46xapWGBYrfE5oje4BRw
Took my son back to Winnipeg a few years ago, he loves that Big Boy burger. The Georges on Ness is walking distance from his grandma’s house so its even better.
Nothing even remotely close to that kind of burger in Vancouver, good thing they posted the chili sauce recipe online, I make it all the time now.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
This thread pisses me off tbh. I have been stuck in restaurant purgatory for over a year now with covid since I haven't been able to visit Winnipeg.

My favorite restaurants normally revolve around the beer selection more than the food but a personal fave that doesn't involve the beer list is Siam's.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
This thread pisses me off tbh. I have been stuck in restaurant purgatory for over a year now with covid since I haven't been able to visit Winnipeg.

My favorite restaurants normally revolve around the beer selection more than the food but a personal fave that doesn't involve the beer list is Siam's.
For all the trash we get thrown our way, Winnipeg has an amazing culinary scene. From Greasy Spoons to high end eateries. Theres a type of food/restaurant representing every corner of the globe in Winnipeg. I'd pit our food scene against any other city in Canada. I remember reading an article a while back stating that per capita Winnipeg has more restaurants than any other city in Canada.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
For all the trash we get thrown our way, Winnipeg has an amazing culinary scene. From Greasy Spoons to high end eateries. Theres a type of food/restaurant representing every corner of the globe in Winnipeg. I'd pit our food scene against any other city in Canada. I remember reading an article a while back stating that per capita Winnipeg has more restaurants than any other city in Canada.

I 2nd you on Winnipeg being an amazing culinary scene jokes'...

When I ran My restaurant My partner and I used to visit various cities around the U.S. checking out restaurants and their operations and talking with those that were willing to talk about how they did things... When I do My work now I must eat out because of the travel and I still investigate towards finding places My clients would enjoy...

What I have experienced, while we certainly don't have the upper end in certain things like fresh seafood, tapas, South American Steakhouses & American BBQ, our small independent ethnic and fusion restaurants are off the charts good and numerous per capita compared to most Canadian cities and surprisingly many Midwest U.S. cities...

One thing I wish is Winnipeg should promote/incentive local brewpubs with food throughout the City... Montreal has us beat there for quantity of brewpubs with great beer and food... @Gnova... I'm pissed off to... haven't been able to get to Montreal... :laugh:

My buddy and I when in Montreal doing our brewpub walks daily would get up... pay the bill... then we would say in unison... "I wish I had one of these at the end of My street" for every place we visited...

Montreal is so fun...

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I 2nd you on Winnipeg being an amazing culinary scene jokes'...

When I ran My restaurant My partner and I used to visit various cities around the U.S. checking out restaurants and their operations and talking with those that were willing to talk about how they did things... When I do My work now I must eat out because of the travel and I still investigate towards finding places My clients would enjoy...

What I have experienced, while we certainly don't have the upper end in certain things like fresh seafood, tapas, South American Steakhouses & American BBQ, our small independent ethnic and fusion restaurants are off the charts good and numerous per capita compared to most Canadian cities and surprisingly many Midwest U.S. cities...

One thing I wish is Winnipeg should promote/incentive local brewpubs with food throughout the City... Montreal has us beat there for quantity of brewpubs with great beer and food... @Gnova... I'm pissed off to... haven't been able to get to Montreal... :laugh:

My buddy and I when in Montreal doing our brewpub walks daily would get up... pay the bill... then we would say in unison... "I wish I had one of these at the end of My street" for every place we visited...

Montreal is so fun...
I think it comes down to money. About one out of 8 in Vancouver open with a kitchen. Seems like there is so much involved logistically and financially that the majority focus on the beer.

That being said, I have 6 breweries and a distillery in my neighborhood and none with a kitchen. But they all have food trucks!

If you like Montreal have you been to Portland or Seattle?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think it comes down to money. About one out of 8 in Vancouver open with a kitchen. Seems like there is so much involved logistically and financially that the majority focus on the beer.

That being said, I have 6 breweries and a distillery in my neighborhood and none with a kitchen. But they all have food trucks!

Been to both Portland & Seattle...

Enjoyable 10 years ago...

Reactions: RabidOne

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

That's fire code, onerous inspection, permits and licensing $'s, and myopic zoning killing investment, community, culture and tourism...

F'n marxist's... get the F' out of the way...

Across North America governing bodies and beau acracy has exposed themselves as parasitic...

That's My rant for the day... sad really...

I hope after all this Covid crap is over maybe your surviving breweries, you and your friends can promote some change and bring the food trucks home...

:cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241 and RabidOne

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
That's fire code, onerous inspection, permits and licensing $'s killing investment, community, culture and tourism...

F'n marxist's... get the F' out of the way...

Across North America governing bodies and beau acracy has exposed themselves as parasitic...

That's My rant for the day... sad really...

I hope after all this Covid crap is over maybe your surviving breweries, you and your friends can promote some change and bring the food trucks home...

:cheers:
I agree. It is actually funny because when the province here mandated expanded outdoor seating for restaurants and breweries to help with Covid you never saw the bureaucracy move so fast.
Then we hear about a Vancouver woman's shelter waiting 2 years to have an outdoor space approved. When some of the breweries were rubber stamped in a month.
So much BS.

Reactions: John Agar

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I agree. It is actually funny because when the province here mandated expanded outdoor seating for restaurants and breweries to help with Covid you never saw the bureaucracy move so fast.
Then we hear about a Vancouver woman's shelter waiting 2 years to have an outdoor space approved. When some of the breweries were rubber stamped in a month.
So much BS.

I would suggest that's N.I.M.B.Y. at work... everyone wants to talk ideology, but no one wants to walk the walk with their talk... empty and soul-less persons... we had that recently in Winnipeg for a facility in the West of Winnipeg recently and finally it went through... took way too long because of N.I.M.B.Y. ...

As for the Bureaucracy moving fast... smart... restauranteurs can deny service to anyone and use the police to enforce that right in most municipalities... those B's are observing what's happening in Ontario... if they did the same thing... after Covid is done... they might not ever get to eat or drink in their favorite establishments again..

Would serve them right...

Reactions: RabidOne

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not really a fan of Superboys. I swear they put cinnamon in their chili which is an affront to God. Best fatboy in the city is Dairi-Wip AIIEC. Ill throw down with anyone who says different. They also have the best fries & chili. Their hotdogs and milkshakes are absolutely killer too.

bc7d998ddd37ece9696185b2b4c51fcd.gif

Many great chili cooks include cinnamon, including moi. The trick is to use it sparingly so it adds to the overall spice complexity without dominating. And if you really want an out there chili, add some chocolate, too. Yep, chocolate. :nod:

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I would suggest that's N.I.M.B.Y. at work... everyone wants to talk ideology, but no one wants to walk the walk with their talk... empty and soul-less persons... we had that recently in Winnipeg for a facility in the West of Winnipeg recently and finally it went through... took way too long because of N.I.M.B.Y. ...

As for the Bureaucracy moving fast... smart... restauranteurs can deny service to anyone and use the police to enforce that right in most municipalities... those B's are observing what's happening in Ontario... if they did the same thing... after Covid is done... they might not ever get to eat or drink in their favorite establishments again..

Would serve them right...
On a more positive note. I agree that Winnipeg has a great food scene. I remember loving it when I left (Bombolini’s anyone?), and am always impressed when I come back. My Nephew cooks and he always has some great recommendations. And the best part is that compared to Vancouver you don't have to donate a kidney to eat out.

Reactions: John Agar

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Many great chili cooks include cinnamon, including moi. The trick is to use it sparingly so it adds to the overall spice complexity without dominating. And if you really want an out there chili, add some chocolate, too. Yep, chocolate. :nod:
Yup, I always include a little chocolate or cocoa powder when I make a vat of my famous (among my family) chili. I've also been known to throw in some coffee to add depth and cola to add a little sweetness when needed.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Looks like the collapse of Carbone Coal Fired Pizza is complete.

Going from 4 locations at the start of 2020 to 0 as of last weekend. Once those locations started dropping like flies, I knew I had to use up those gift cards ASAP. (Also a reminder that buying gift cards to local businesses as means of business survival is a bad strategy - if the store croaks, you're out money!)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Going from 4 locations at the start of 2020 to 0 as of last weekend. Once those locations started dropping like flies, I knew I had to use up those gift cards ASAP. (Also a reminder that buying gift cards to local businesses as means of business survival is a bad strategy - if the store croaks, you're out money!)

When I saw them opening up all over the place I thought they were expanding too quickly.

We moved about a year ago to River East and we found a really good East Indian place on Regent called Chilis. Really good food ate there and ordered for home a few times

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Just ate at the St. Annes location last month as guests of their owner.

Their oven roasted turkey meatballs were exceptional as was the focaccia. Both our entrees were off menu items, with calzones specifically created for us & we finished off with tiramisu for desert.

Kinda surprised to hear they've closed, but I checked the website & it confirms your comment.

Carbone Coal Fired Pizza |

Their website does state however "For those of you who have supported us through the purchase of gift cards and are looking to redeem them within the Carbone family, please reach out to us at [email protected]."

Their "Fast Fired by Carbone" locations remain open tat #40-2844 Pembina Highway as well as at 3116 Roblin Boulevard

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad