OT: Restaurant thread

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Anyone try Big Smoke in Steinbach?
Carlos Cucina inside Elmwood curling club is great.
Altanour for Schwarma

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
FYI: Blondies on Main is closing in a couple weeks…this is your last chance to have one of their massive burgers.
Can’t say their burgers were the best…but they were iconic to Winnipeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So I was craving a Reuben and did a search for best Rueben’s in Winnipeg. One name that came up a few times was Luda’s in the North End. It’s on Aberdeen Ave and Salter St in a little house on the corner lot that they converted into the Restaurant. I was going to pick it up to go but the place had too much character not to stay. It’s a cash only place and wouldn’t you know I only had $5 on me but I did have US cash in my car.

The place was really clean and Luda was running a tight ship. The women she had running the tables was a total character. Probably in her 40’s and called it like she saw it. Friendly vet server who you wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of. A young guy (grade 11) and his mom were paying and the Server was asking loudly to the boy “what mark did you get on your last test, was it 98”?? You could tell the boy and mom were regulars and the server was really proud of him. I couldn’t hear the boys response but he looked like a really polite kid. After the mom and son left the server looked over at these two girls who were similar age and said “now that boy’s a keeper, he goes to St Paul’s and he’s really smart, and he’s really polite. He is such a nice kid one of you girls should meet him”. The girls were also pretty funny in how they responded. They enjoyed the servers approach. I couldn’t get the smile off my face. The Rueben was really good but I would mostly want to go back for the atmophere. I was in and out pretty quick but as I was leaving the server and Luda were chatting me up and just classic characters. They were both born to do that job.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
So I was craving a Reuben and did a search for best Rueben’s in Winnipeg. One name that came up a few times was Luda’s in the North End. It’s on Aberdeen Ave and Salter St in a little house on the corner lot that they converted into the Restaurant. I was going to pick it up to go but the place had too much character not to stay. It’s a cash only place and wouldn’t you know I only had $5 on me but I did have US cash in my car.

The place was really clean and Luda was running a tight ship. The women she had running the tables was a total character. Probably in her late 40’s and called it like she saw it. Friendly vet server who you wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of. A young guy (grade 11) and his mom were paying and the Server was asking loudly to the boy “what mark did you get on your last test, was it 98”?? You could tell the boy and mom were regulars and the server was really proud of him. I couldn’t hear the boys response but he looked like a really polite kid. After the mom and son left the server looked over at these two girls who were similar age and said “now that boy’s a keeper, he goes to St Paul’s and he’s really smart, and he’s really polite. He is such a nice kid one of you girls should meet him”. The girls were also pretty funny in how they responded. They enjoyed the servers approach. I couldn’t get the smile off my face. The Rueben was really good but I would mostly want to go back for the atmophere. I was in and out pretty quick but as I was leaving the server and Luda were chatting me up and just classic characters. They were both born to do that job.
Luda's is a north end legend. Tiny little place thats cramped but you dont mind cause its got a great vibe/atmosphere. The taller blond waitress is Luda's daughter. Luda is always there at the grill. Place is always packed. Amazing breakfast(if you can get in), and they make great sandwiches and burgers. Fresh lean beef with lots of tasty sloppy toppings. Craving one right now! The boys and i at work get Luda's Deli Burgers atleast once a month. They do close early, 2pm or 3pm i believe.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Luda's is a north end legend. Tiny little place thats cramped but you dont mind cause its got a great vibe/atmosphere. The taller blond waitress is Luda's daughter. Luda is always there at the grill. Place is always packed. Amazing breakfast(if you can get in), and they make great sandwiches and burgers. Fresh lean beef with lots of tasty sloppy toppings. Craving one right now! The boys and i at work get Luda's Deli Burgers atleast once a month. They do close early, 2pm or 3pm i believe.

How did I not know about this place? I loved it. I feel bad now saying late 40’s for the daughter. Makes sense she was Luda’s daughter because they both have similar larger than life personalities. I walked in and 5 minutes later I felt like I was hanging with my relatives.

Crazy when you walk in to a strange place for the first time to grab take out but find yourself staying to eat by yourself in the place and you have no idea why you changed your mind.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
How did I not know about this place? I loved it. I feel bad now saying late 40’s for the daughter. Makes sense she was Lida’s daughter because they both have similar larger than life personalities. I walked in and 5 minutes later I felt like I was hanging with my relatives.

Crazy when you walk in to a strange place for the first time to grab take out but find yourself staying to eat by yourself in the place and you have no idea why you changed your mind.
Wonderful hidden gem. I believe its Christine(owner/everyone calls her Luda which i believe is friendship/love in Ukrainian) and Tracey(daughter). Couple of good old authentic North End Ukrainian girls. Theyve been there forever, know nearly every customer by name, and theyre just as friendly to the ones they dont know. Their entire menu is delicious. Never had a bad meal. After all this talk i might just have to get some takeout for lunch tomorrow!

Reactions: chaos4 and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wonderful hidden gem. I believe its Christine(owner/everyone calls her Luda which i believe is friendship/love in Ukrainian) and Tracey(daughter). Couple of good old authentic North End Ukrainian girls. Theyve been there forever, know nearly every customer by name, and theyre just as friendly to the ones they dont know. Their entire menu is delicious. Never had a bad meal. After all this talk i might just have to get some takeout for lunch tomorrow!

Yup if you look up Hospitality in the dictionary they could skip the words and just put in a picture of Luda and Tracey.

Next time I go I would like to get one of those counter stools, sit right in the middle of the action and be able to see the kitchen line as well.

Good point about making non regulars feel welcome. That’s exactly what drew me in, I felt like a regular within a few minutes.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yup if you look up Hospitality in the dictionary they could skip the words and just put in a picture of Luda and Tracey.

Next time I go I would like to get one of those counter stools, sit right in the middle of the action and be able to see the kitchen line as well.

Good point about making non regulars feel welcome. That’s exactly what drew me in, I felt like a regular within a few minutes.

The power of word of mouth. I work maybe 10 minute drive from there. I'll be checking it out in the next week or two. Have been ardently supporting the White Star Diner for the past several months. Had a good chat with the owner last time I was in. They were doing pretty well until Omicron hit and he got destroyed all over again. They do make very good burgers and arguably the best in central downtown Winnipeg though I'm open to suggestions.

Funny story from a former restaurant employee: there's a cafeteria in our building. I went down to grab a simple egg sandwich and pop. I stood in line ten minutes. In that time the three staff served one customer and started another. I put the pop back in the cooler, went back up to my desk, grabbed my coat and went across the street (Winnipeg Square) to one of the Korean run shops in the underground. Bought my egg salad sandwich and pop and was back in five minutes. Guess where I'm not frequenting any longer? Luda's sounds like a dream.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The power of word of mouth. I work maybe 10 minute drive from there. I'll be checking it out in the next week or two. Have been ardently supporting the White Star Diner for the past several months. Had a good chat with the owner last time I was in. They were doing pretty well until Omicron hit and he got destroyed all over again. They do make very good burgers and arguably the best in central downtown Winnipeg though I'm open to suggestions.

Funny story from a former restaurant employee: there's a cafeteria in our building. I went down to grab a simple egg sandwich and pop. I stood in line ten minutes. In that time the three staff served one customer and started another. I put the pop back in the cooler, went back up to my desk, grabbed my coat and went across the street (Winnipeg Square) to one of the Korean run shops in the underground. Bought my egg salad sandwich and pop and was back in five minutes. Guess where I'm not frequenting any longer? Luda's sounds like a dream.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but my experience is that the Aramarks of the world that run in-house cafeterias simply believe they have no competition. That most people are inherently lazy and will accept overpriced, sub-standard food and crappy service rather than put on their coat and hat and venture out to someplace better. Of course, True North realized this was not true and thus, the no re-entry policy was born.

Reactions: buggs

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Am I the only one who is sort of finding it more and more annoying that it's becoming the established norm that 20% is the minimum tip now? I just feel like 15% is a perfectly valid tip amount much of the time...why exactly does the tip increase as a percentage of the bill anyway? I mean presumably the cost of the meal will rise with inflation right? Am I going to have to give a tip that's 40% of my bill in 20 years in spite of the fact that the cost of the meal itself has doubled in that time?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Am I the only one who is sort of finding it more and more annoying that it's becoming the established norm that 20% is the minimum tip now? I just feel like 15% is a perfectly valid tip amount much of the time...why exactly does the tip increase as a percentage of the bill anyway? I mean presumably the cost of the meal will rise with inflation right? Am I going to have to give a tip that's 40% of my bill in 20 years in spite of the fact that the cost of the meal itself has doubled in that time?
I'll mostly defer to those currently in the restaurant industry on this one as to what is expected but I too am irritated by the default tipping levels, nowhere moreso than at the arena.

Back in the day (my restaurant career ran 84-92) we were looking at 10% on average; 15% was considered an excellent tip. I think many restaurants have changed their manner of staffing, reducing the load of tables on a particular server (we used to have 6-7 on average, at the same restaurant I used to work for the cap is now 4) but not everywhere. That has resulted in better service so I think a better tip may be warranted. At the same time though it isn't necessarily THAT much better and many times it's actually not good at all. I'll take the time to not select a default option of tip if I'm dissatisfied, many do not. This doesn't actually help anyone at all - the server never gets the message is the biggest issue. Also a tip is not mandatory and as such it should not actually be an expectation or an entitlement.

The change over time from 10% to 15% was actually driven through a series of media articles over time. Weird, but true. 15% was more the norm in large, urban centers and it spread over time to become the new norm. Good for serving staff, bad for me because I endured the lower end era. I expect that the move to 20% on machines is an attempt to set a new norm and that norm is ridiculous in my mind. Believe me I get that this may be your only job and you "need" that money but I "need" my money too. If I'm at The Keg or Bailey's or somewhere and my bill is $200 and your expectation for average service is $40 (yes, I know some portion goes to tip pool) then you are likely to be as disillusioned by my tip as I was by your service.

At Jets games I really don't think a 15% tip is warranted for pouring me two grossly overpriced draft. Those draft are running me ballpark $25 after taxes and I don't think ~1 minute of work warrants $4.00 in your pocket. But the Jets aren't doing anything that anyone else isn't, setting the default at 15%.

I've been to locations where the default is 18% which is laughable at best. Don't get me wrong, I'll tip 20% for exceptional service, but it's rarely awarded because it is rarely earned. If you catch me on a bad day and the 18% comes up as a default, you're likely looking at 0% because you've now insulted me because your service almost invariably does not warrant that type of reward. Sitting on your phone, letting my glass sit empty, lack of manners and your expectation is 18% because you're employed? LOL, no, hard no. 20% as a new norm? Nope, if that's what a restaurant thinks their staff deserve I'll stop visiting your establishment.

The worst is places like Freshii and Subway adding default tip amounts to debit payments. Sorry, that's a hard no for me. It's fast food (don't get me started on the nutritional profiles at those restaurants - fat, salt, sugar, calories) and that's it. I dislike it enough that it simply pushes me to the point of not supporting your establishment.

Oops, looks like you hit a pet peeve of mine. Better end this on a positive note: White Star Diner downtown has survived the pandemic to this point. The burgers are great and the owner is a really good person. Not that you can't get a similar burger in other places but if you're in the neighborhood (he's on Kennedy between Portage and Graham) go in and enjoy. Very retro feel, old school, hand made food and excellent milkshakes if you have room.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'll mostly defer to those currently in the restaurant industry on this one as to what is expected but I too am irritated by the default tipping levels, nowhere moreso than at the arena....

Agree with pretty much all your points. Part of my reasoning is based on the fact that I'm an extremely low demand customer. My requirements are little more than take my table's order, deliver the food, and fill the water glasses a couple times. I essentially never complain or make any sort of special requests and I certainly don't want to have a conversation with you. I feel like giving 1/5 of the cost of the bill as a gratuity is ridiculous. I didn't even take up 10 minutes of your time! lol. To be honest, I don't really even want exceptional service. Just normal, prompt service is fine...please don't try and schmooze me for a bigger tip!

I don't really care about the tip breakdown. It's not my concern if some of it goes to a tip pool or anything else...its a dollar amount added on to my expense. The food is pretty damned expensive already thanks...

And the notion of fast food places pushing for tips now?? Super annoying!

Last edited:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Bump (because tis the season)

byfuglien-hit.gif

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Roblin Grill, one of my favourite burger places, shut down on December 27, much to my dismay. :confused:

Covid really kicked the shit out of the industry. Too many mom and pop shops struggled with the admin side of the subsidy programs. Lots of casualties.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
I'm a big fan of the biryani at Spice Circle on Portage in St James. It's my favourite meal of any kind from any restaurant.

Reactions: imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought I would start a thread on restaurants as I just found our new go to place for East Indian food

Sizzling Dhaba is great. Not far from St. Vital Shopping Center.
I need to give this place a go. Have you tried the Royal Paan? I very highly recommend their Mysore Masala Dosa.
(I've eaten Indian/Pakistani food my whole life including 3 years we lived in the Middle East where there were TONS of Indian expats and plenty of amazing Indian restaurants. I also cook a fair bit of it me own self.)

Reactions: 10Ducky10

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

Reactions: imec

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I thought I would start a thread on restaurants as I just found our new go to place for East Indian food

Sizzling Dhaba is great. Not far from St. Vital Shopping Center.
Been going here for about 10 years now. Hidden gem, amazing food, family owned and operated. Great.choice!!

Been going here for about 10 years now. Hidden gem, amazing food, family owned and operated. Great.choice!!
siam Thai just down the road a bit is fantastic as well!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
enjoyed a pizza at Frankie's Italian Kitchen on Friday night. Been there a handful of times and always have had good experiences. tried their bitter cocktail - was solid too. if i was getting lit that night probably would have had more of those. Would not recommend having their pizzas delivered or takeout, not that they're bad per se however it does hinder the quality imo.

also had santa anna a few weeks back delivered. was pretty good, might have to try that at the restaurant. thicker than Frankie's pie.

as for indian food - east india company is a favorite of mine. i tried holy spice recently on kenaston, it's decent. heard good things about indian food corner on pembina so that may be my next one to try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog and imec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad