OT: Restaurant thread

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Thanks for the patronizing, unsolicited lecture. Your username has never been so relevant.

1j58.gif

Isn't the purpose of this board to share opinions? Well, my opinion (not lecture) is that eating restaurant food too often isn't good for people. If you have a counter-point that restaurant food is fine to eat on a regular basis, feel free to state your case. That's what's called a discussion, again something I thought this board was for.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Tried Frankie's Italian Kitchen & Bar over the weekend. Very good pizza i thought.
Well that's not helpful dammit. :confused:;)

We've had a go to Pizza Place since the 1970s - Tony's Pizza on Pembina. First had it around 78 or so, managed to convince my parents to shift from Gondola and they never went back.

So Frankie's pizza might be good, but I want a review on the other stuff they sell dagnabit.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

We've had a go to Pizza Place since the 1970s - Tony's Pizza on Pembina. First had it around 78 or so, managed to convince my parents to shift from Gondola and they never went back.

So Frankie's pizza might be good, but I want a review on the other stuff they sell dagnabit.
Tony's has been my go to for longer than I can remember. Occasionally Santa Lucia if I feel like a thicker crust, heavier style pizza, but invariably I go for Tony's. I do like a good wood fired pizza but that's a sit down pizza, they don't travel well and aren't as good for take-out.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Got this weeks Hello Fresh box, tonight is BBQ meatballs with smashed potatos and garlic broccoli. :P
I've been doing the Hello Fresh for a couple months now. I order strictly vegetarian meals so that we're not eating meat at least 3 times a week minimum. I've been pretty happy with it so far, it's convenient for sure.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've been doing the Hello Fresh for a couple months now. I order strictly vegetarian meals so that we're not eating meat at least 3 times a week minimum. I've been pretty happy with it so far, it's convenient for sure.
Tonight is no meat, Buffalo shrimp on a footlong bun with sweet potato fries and do it yourself ranch dressing. :P Last night's BBQ meatballs were very good, lots of flavor.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I haven't had Tony's for a long time but i loved that pizza.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
That’s going to solicit a lot of opinion. My fave is TH Dang on Pembina, just excellent.

Pho Hoang
Viva
Pho No 1

also right up there.

Vietnamese food is probably my biggest addiction food wise. All 3 above are solid, as well, really like the following:

Phuong Nam (Arlington and Williams) - Been eating hear since 2000, when they use to have a dive next to a laundry matt on Isabel. Pho is exceptional, but if you want a real treat, try their wonton soup, the broth is amazing, and different from their pho broth. Anyone I take here gets hooked on that wonton soup.

Vi-Ann on the corner of McPhillips and Notre Dame. Excellent vermicelli and pho, really like their Choi Mein as well, cheap and generous amounts of beef.

Never tried TH Dang, will have to give it a shot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If anyone is in the Lindenwoods/Lindenridge/Whyte Ridge area, Holy Spice in the Lindenridge Shopping Centre might be one of the top 3 Indian restaurants in town. Definitely worth a try if you like Indian food.

Ok so Holy spice is walking distance from my office. Tell me when I go to Clay oven I usually order something like Butter Chicken or Chili Chicken and get rice and a naan bread. What is your go to at Holy Spice?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Need to try this. Kings Shawarma and Hookah (on Portage ave) is my go-to. but i've heard great things about Altanour

We tried Kings not to long ago and it was pretty solid. I like the Yafa Cafe a bit more for St. James area Middle Eastern Food.

Another great place in St. James is Steve's Bistro, they have great Greek style burgers and Gyro Wraps.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Ok so Holy spice is walking distance from my office. Tell me when I go to Clay oven I usually order something like Butter Chicken or Chili Chicken and get rice and a naan bread. What is your go to at Holy Spice?
Butter chicken and Chili chicken are both excellent at Holy Spice and are staples for me. Also really like the Dal, Chana Masala and the Aloo Gobi, all excellent. Killer Naan there as well.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Anybody try any of the Ethiopian restaurants in Winnipeg? Merkato's was easily my favorite restaurant but I don't know if they're still going at this point. There's another very good one on Sargent but I can't remember the name.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Butter chicken and Chili chicken are both excellent at Holy Spice and are staples for me. Also really like the Dal, Chana Masala and the Aloo Gobi, all excellent. Killer Naan there as well.

Perfect I am all over it! Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Ducky10

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Anybody try any of the Ethiopian restaurants in Winnipeg? Merkato's was easily my favorite restaurant but I don't know if they're still going at this point. There's another very good one on Sargent but I can't remember the name.

Massawa on Osborne is very good, I dont know if they do delivery though. Kokeb on Edmonton and Blue Nile on Sargent ive tried and liked also. Gohe I found a little bland but not bad.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Does anyone else like Taste of Sri Lanka? Probably most are aware of the location at the Forks but the one I frequent in Winnipeg Square is really good. Roti is awesome but I often just get the chickpea curry and devilled chicken, skipping the starch options altogether. The one in Winnipeg Square is only open really limited hours now and not much even in normal times. But the food is largely the same at the Forks location, though I don't know if they're even open at all.

Not much help unless you're in downtown during the day I suppose but it's one of those places I hope survives this gong show.

Reactions: Jedub

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Taste of Sri Lanka is my go-to spot when eating at the Forks. Big portions at a reasonable price. I think all the dishes taste pretty sweet, like the recipes have been adapted for the Canadian market, but damn it all tastes good.

Reactions: buggs

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Taste of Sri Lanka is my go-to spot when eating at the Forks. Big portions at a reasonable price. I think all the dishes taste pretty sweet, like the recipes have been adapted for the Canadian market, but damn it all tastes good.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much we get in many places is actually authentic. But I'm not complaining because I've never been to Sri Lanka and as you say it all tastes good. Also the portions are huge, realistically when I get takeout at the Winnipeg Square location it's enough food for two.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, I'm not sure how much we get in many places is actually authentic. But I'm not complaining because I've never been to Sri Lanka and as you say it all tastes good. Also the portions are huge, realistically when I get takeout at the Winnipeg Square location it's enough food for two.

Wait, you're saying that jambalaya I get at Boston Pizza may not be authentic? :sarcasm: I'm sure a lot of newcomers opening restaurants try to keep it as authentic as what they had at home, but find that some ingredients they would like to use aren't available here. I also expect they tone down the heat of spicier cuisines to have broader appeal to your average local's tolerance level. Still, you could always ask them to make a dish as if they were going to eat it themselves. Just be prepared to have a big tumbler of milk and a box of Kleenex close by. :laugh:

Reactions: buggs

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Gonna go visit my friend after Code Red, she's living at UoM and has never had Tony's Pizza. Gotta show her the best pizza in the city.

Anyone have Pizza Express or Romana's Pizza from Brandon? (Don't say Marinos, it's terrible and the poor mans version just like Santa Lucia)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

ok so today I got to try Holy Spice and it was excellent. I ordered at around 11:30 and the guy was a character. His English was pretty broken but he was really upbeat. He said “give me until 12:30 so I can make sure it’s all fresh” :laugh:

Got the Chili Chicken (great spice), Lamb Tiki Masala (great), buttered Chicken (nice but they kind of forgot the chicken). I waited a bit when I got there but no problem because the women was just making up fresh naan. She was literally hand rolling out fresh dough and cooking it off one at a time (it was as good as it gets).

The guy was really friendly and he threw in extra Naan, and a extra side to try. Great value and top notch!!

thanks for the heads up Ducky!

Last edited:

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Gonna go visit my friend after Code Red, she's living at UoM and has never had Tony's Pizza. Gotta show her the best pizza in the city.

Anyone have Pizza Express or Romana's Pizza from Brandon? (Don't say Marinos, it's terrible and the poor mans version just like Santa Lucia)
My brother and sister both used to live in Brandon and Ramana’s Pizza was their go-to pizza.

Reactions: YellowheadChiefs

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Four Seasons Chinese in Southdale, Autumn chicken has been a favorite since the 90s. Think the dish is famous in the Southdale Windsor Park area

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->