Rerank your prospects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
NYRangers said:
9 is not a superstar, its a Hall of Famer. Do you honeslty think Schremp can be the next "Think Mark Messier, Guy Lafleur, Niklas Lidstrom, Denis Potvin, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur"?

It's an elite player... sorry man, but look at the difference between 8 and 9...

8: Brian Propp, Tom Barasso

9: Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy

Honestly, there has to be a middle ground there does there not?

For instance, what is Brad Richardsm, A Brian Propp or a Guy Lafleur? Not sure, but I'd say it's somewhere in between.

It says possesses the potential for greatness... Schremp has a hell of a lot of offensive talent. Most likely, he's going to be a 1st or 2nd line centre (top end), but does he have the talent to put up career HOF numbers? I wouldn't put it past him.

Ignoring everything else about him, based purely on his offensive skill, he does have the potential to be over a ppg player throughout his career (and that is saying alot in this day in age).

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Why can't guys like Kostitsyn? O'Sullivan? Radulov? Zherdev be considered Hall of Famers?

Because it is too god damn risky to declare someone a future HOF'er before they have even played a game in the AHL let alone the NHL. Put down the holiday snow globe and quit pretending its a crystal ball!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
dawgbone said:
It's an elite player... sorry man, but look at the difference between 8 and 9...

8: Brian Propp, Tom Barasso

9: Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy

Honestly, there has to be a middle ground there does there not?

For instance, what is Brad Richardsm, A Brian Propp or a Guy Lafleur? Not sure, but I'd say it's somewhere in between.

It says possesses the potential for greatness... Schremp has a hell of a lot of offensive talent. Most likely, he's going to be a 1st or 2nd line centre (top end), but does he have the talent to put up career HOF numbers? I wouldn't put it past him.

Ignoring everything else about him, based purely on his offensive skill, he does have the potential to be over a ppg player throughout his career (and that is saying alot in this day in age).

Regardless, he should not have a higher number than Evgeni Malkin who is a superior talent in pretty much every way.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
10 ft. pole said:
Because it is too god damn risky to declare someone a future HOF'er before they have even played a game in the AHL let alone the NHL. Put down the holiday snow globe and quit pretending its a crystal ball!

Exactly, that is my point. So why does Schremp get the label and not guys of the same calibur?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
*shrugs* Fine, they are sharing duties...but I dislike how people automatically label Harding less than JDD when they seen almost the same amount of shots in both leagues and Harding seems to be doing better in the AHL than JDD...

BTW: AHL Numbers

JDD has seen 26.25 shots per game, made 187 svs, let in 23 goals saw a total of 210 shots and played in 8 games for a total of 483:13 minutes.

Josh Harding has seen 28.53 shots per game, made 346 svs, let in 25 goals, and saw a total of 371 shots. He has played in 13 games for a total of 744:35 minutes.

So let's see how JDD does when he hits his 13th game...

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Schremp should be around a 7.5-8...9-10 are reserved for Malkin, Ovechkin, Lehtonen, Crosby, guys that are franchise players.

:shakehead

7.5 is a 2nd line centre... and that is below Schremp's top potential. Skill-wise, Schremp was right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin... that isn't debatable.

The reason for the letter grade, is to add a secondary element. The number is supposed to refelect top potential, the letter grade balances that out.

I don't understand the confusion here is.

Ovechkin - 9A vs Schremp 9C. There is a huge difference here.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
7.5 means there is room, he is in between a 1st and 2nd line center, meaning he is going to be better than a 2nd line center and less than a 1st line center.

To us, his top potential is that of a 1st line center (8)...Not HoF...or Franchise Player...

I'd like to stick O'Sullivan's grade on him at 8B...

Our writer does a good job because he is very unbiased and I applaud him for that. It's hard to do these freaking grades.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
dawgbone said:
:shakehead

7.5 is a 2nd line centre... and that is below Schremp's top potential. Skill-wise, Schremp was right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin... that isn't debatable.

The reason for the letter grade, is to add a secondary element. The number is supposed to refelect top potential, the letter grade balances that out.

I don't understand the confusion here is.

Ovechkin - 9A vs Schremp 9C. There is a huge difference here.

Schremp's top potential just is not the same as that of Ovechkin...I dont care that you throw a C on there. If both players reach their potential, Ovechkin>>>>>>Schremp. Schremp simply does not deserve a 9.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Not JDD, Moss seems to have a nod over him...

Yes he does... the Oilers/Habs have had a lot of success with this in recent years.

Both Conklin and Garon were brought up under these conditions, as well as another goaltender prospect for the Oilers, Morrison.

Early on in the year, even when Moss struggled and JDD had incredible numbers, Moss was getting most of the starts.

I wouldn't read into it very much.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
There's really no reason Schremp should have a better ranking than Radulov, for instance.

And for Schremp to get a 9 while Malkin gets an 8.5 is ridiculous.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
DoobieDoobieDo said:
JDD-8.5B
Josh Harding 7.5B
Hannu Toivonen 8A
David Leveanu- 8B
Cam Ward- 8B
Tobias Stephens- 6.5
Kari Lehtonen- 9A
Maxime Daigneault- 6.5A

Tobias Stephan's upside is a fair bit more than a fringe backup. He's been compared with David Aebischer a lot, he actually might be the more hyped one of the two. I say his upside is that of a decent starter, but the chances of him realising that are pretty slim due to last years injury filled season which has bothered his game so far.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
.890 SV% and a 2.23 (roughly) GAA great numbers? The .890 is bad but can be redeemed, the 2.23 or whatever it is GAA is average...

I think it is a toss up between LeVeneau, JDD, and Harding in who is going to be the best goaltender out of the 2nd round in 2002. And with Stephens and Daigneault, the top three should be ranked about the same...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
DoobieDoobieDo said:
.890 SV% and a 2.23 (roughly) GAA great numbers? The .890 is bad but can be redeemed, the 2.23 or whatever it is GAA is average...

I think it is a toss up between LeVeneau, JDD, and Harding in who is going to be the best goaltender out of the 2nd round in 2002. And with Stephens and Daigneault, the top three should be ranked about the same...

I'm not disagreeing with the order, just the grade you gave Stephan. And those are his numbers after the injury, before that he was on pace to break several league records.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
1- Hannu Toivonen 8.5A
2- Mark Stuart 8A
3- Brad Boyes 7.5B
4- Lars Jonsson 8C
5- Andy Hilbert 7B
6- Andrew Alberts 7B
7- David Krejci 7B
8- Jordan Sigalet 7B
9- Milan Jurcina 7B
10- Martins Karsums 7B
11- Sergei Zinovjev 7.5B (Could be Top 5, but coming over is the question)
12- Martin Samuelsson 7B
13- Vladislav Evseev 7.5C
14- Byron Bitz 7.5C
15- Masi Marjamaki 6.5B
16- Ben Walter 6.5B
17- Kris Versteeg 7C
18- Mike Brown 7C
19- Matt Hunwick 7C
20- Kevin Regan 7C
HM
Yan Stastny 6.5B
Frank Rediker 6B
Nate Thompson 6.5C

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
7.5 means there is room, he is in between a 1st and 2nd line center, meaning he is going to be better than a 2nd line center and less than a 1st line center.

To us, his top potential is that of a 1st line center (8)...Not HoF...or Franchise Player...

Based on what? Can someone please explain that to me? How can you sit there and say his top potential isn't that of an elite player?

It certainly isn't in scouting reports, where he was considered to be right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin in terms of skill?

There hasn't been a single argument supporting why.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
dawgbone said:
Based on what? Can someone please explain that to me? How can you sit there and say his top potential isn't that of an elite player?

It certainly isn't in scouting reports, where he was considered to be right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin in terms of skill?

I believe he was considered the 3rd most talented player in the draft...behind Ovechkin and Malkin, not 'right up there' with them.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I believe so too, Chaos, and there is some questions still surrounding him as there is with O'Sullivan.

The problem is you can point to a lot of prospects and say, why isn't his potential elite. You just know it isn't.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dawgbone said:

I don't think Schremp has too much of a higher ceiling than Radulov..and yet...Radulov is rated a 7.5...not A...not B...but C. Schremp is a 9C. That's the sort of disparity I mean. George Bachul admitted to lowballing Nashville prospects..because it was better to be wrong in that way than to overhype...but other teams gave ideal numbers. That's why this system is bunk and why using the grades to argue potential is silly. There needs to be a consistent measurement, and it's understandably impossible. Personally, I'd rank both Radulov and Schremp at about 8-8.5B

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Epsilon said:
There's really no reason Schremp should have a better ranking than Radulov, for instance.

Why is that? Skillwise, Schremp blows Radulov out of the water... and they've both had knocks in terms of attitude and work ethic.

And for Schremp to get a 9 while Malkin gets an 8.5 is ridiculous.

Again, based on what? If Schremp doesn't bounce around on 3 different teams last year, he's probably right up there with Ovechkin and Malkin on draft day. It's not the skill level that differentiates the 2 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad