Rerank your prospects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
dawgbone said:
For a stretch yes. He also had some terrible stretches, a bad WJC, an average season in the Q, and a terrible playoffs.
How did he have an "average" season in the Q?
10GP, 8-1-1, 1.98 GAA, 0.933 SV%
Is that average?

And where have I flamed Schremp? You can ask any Pens board regular, I was all for trading up to get him. I pencilled him at this overall at one time last season.
I have no problem realizing his talent.
I just took offensse when you say something that's totally subjective is "undebatable".

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
dawgbone said:
Ridiculousness of my arguments?

This coming from the guy who's first few comments consisted of 30 words.

Unlike some people who feel they are experts on someone despite never seeing him.

And what the hell does 2 months have to do with anything, and when have I judged anyone on 2 months worth of play?

And why should I care about Ryan Stone... what the hell does that have to do with anything?

What does the lengh of my post have to do with anything?

Now go back, and read all the negative things said about him.

Guess what? They aren't there anymore. A bunch of teams really look like they made a bad mistake.
There you go, you judge a player on the first two months of play.
Which is why I brought up Ryan Stone, who's tearing it up the WHL.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Evilo said:
How did he have an "average" season in the Q?
10GP, 8-1-1, 1.98 GAA, 0.933 SV%
Is that average?

When the other goalie, who isn't very good puts up a 2.33 GAA and a .921 sv%, Fleury, who was supposed to be the best young goalie in the Q, isn't really blowing it away by any stretch.

And where have I flamed Schremp? You can ask any Pens board regular, I was all for trading up to get him. I pencilled him at this overall at one time last season.
I have no problem realizing his talent.
I just took offensse when you say something that's totally subjective is "undebatable".

His talent level isn't debatable. I will stick by that comment. His future potential, what he will amount to, etc... they are all debatable. If the words of some of the most respected prospect publications aren't enough for you, that's perfectly fine, but if you haven't seen him play, you reallly aren't in any position to debate anything.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
dawgbone said:
When the other goalie, who isn't very good puts up a 2.33 GAA and a .921 sv%, Fleury, who was supposed to be the best young goalie in the Q, isn't really blowing it away by any stretch.

His talent level isn't debatable. I will stick by that comment. His future potential, what he will amount to, etc... they are all debatable. If the words of some of the most respected prospect publications aren't enough for you, that's perfectly fine, but if you haven't seen him play, you reallly aren't in any position to debate anything.
Fleury's stats are still significantly better. You expected him to put a 1.00, 98.0% in the high scoring Q?

Skill-wise, Schremp was right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin... that isn't debatable.
Yes, it is debatable. Because he isn't "right up there". He's probably a notch under these guys IMO. Which doesn't make him a slouch either.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Evilo said:
What does the lengh of my post have to do with anything?

When you toss out random, open-ended questions, without adding anything to the conversation, it tends to reflect badly on how seriously we should take your opinion.

There you go, you judge a player on the first two months of play.
Which is why I brought up Ryan Stone, who's tearing it up the WHL.

See, that would be a lovely argument had I only been referring to the first couple of months of the season... but I wasn't. The newspaper in London ran a few stories in the summer talking to not only his coaches, but several present and former teammates. Most of the myths were dispelled... i.e. that he's a terrible teammate, that he doesn't respect the coaching staff, that he's a prima-donna, etc...

You really shouldn't assume stuff.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
NYRangers said:
Like I said, if hes so great, why would the Oilers have Devin Dubnyk ranked ahead of him?
I think the Oilers took Dubnyk because they felt they needed a goalie more than a forward. They were surprised Schremp was still there. I would probubly rank Schremp and Radulov as 8C and 8B . I think Schremp will do just fine in Edm I would take a talented player with a cocky attitude that was picked way lower than he thought he should be anyday. He clearly has talent. Now hes got a fire under his ass to prove everyone wrong. He seems to be doing fine this year and all his team mates talk good of him. The old Oilers talked the talk the talk but they also backed it up. I loved watching this Radulov kid in the Russian-Qmjhl challenge. Im glad i took him on my Hockey Manager team. Nashville fans have a real gem.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Evilo said:
Fleury's stats are still significantly better. You expected him to put a 1.00, 98.0% in the high scoring Q?

There you go with another assumption.

1.00 and .980sv%? Hardly. But when he got sent down, I was expecting to see a GAA around 2.00 and sv% around .925-.930. Playing to expectations is average... at least in my book.

And the high-scoring Q? Geez, this isn't 1998 anymore. You'd figure you'd know this stuff. The average goals per game in the Q last year was 6.5 goals per game... not exactly mind-blowing numbers (in fact, the OHL has now surpassed the Q in average goals/game).

Yes, it is debatable. Because he isn't "right up there". He's probably a notch under these guys IMO. Which doesn't make him a slouch either.

In your opinion.

How many times have you seen Malkin play (hilights don't count)?

How many times have you seen Ovechkin play?

How many times have you seen Schremp play?

So really, your opinion isn't really worth that much is it? I'll take the words of scouts and the publications over yours.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
dawgbone said:
See, that would be a lovely argument had I only been referring to the first couple of months of the season... but I wasn't. The newspaper in London ran a few stories in the summer talking to not only his coaches, but several present and former teammates. Most of the myths were dispelled... i.e. that he's a terrible teammate, that he doesn't respect the coaching staff, that he's a prima-donna, etc...

You really shouldn't assume stuff.

Because YOU assume the other teams regret not having drafted him because of a few summer articles???? :lol

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
dawgbone said:
In your opinion.

How many times have you seen Malkin play (hilights don't count)?

How many times have you seen Ovechkin play?

How many times have you seen Schremp play?

So really, your opinion isn't really worth that much is it? I'll take the words of scouts and the publications over yours.

I've seen both russians play a good amount of times (remember I live in Europe).
I haven't seen Schremp much. The few films I saw or reports I had confirmed to me he was a talented player, which is why I wanted the Pens to draft him.

However, I haven't read a single report or "expert opinion" that said Schremp's talent was as good as Malkin or AO.
Sorry.

BTW, how many times have you seen Malkin and Ovechkin play? (WJC and highlights don't count).

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Evilo said:
Because YOU assume the other teams regret not having drafted him because of a few summer articles???? :lol

:shakehead

Considering most of the questions concerning Schremp were regarding him not being a team player, or him being selfish, or him not wanting to develop a defensive side to his game.

Most of the concerns were pretty much alleviated when they talked to present and former teammates, and the coaching staff.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Epsilon said:
There's really no reason Schremp should have a better ranking than Radulov, for instance.

And for Schremp to get a 9 while Malkin gets an 8.5 is ridiculous.

I agree completely.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Evilo said:
I've seen both russians play a good amount of times (remember I live in Europe).
I haven't seen Schremp much. The few films I saw or reports I had confirmed to me he was a talented player, which is why I wanted the Pens to draft him.

However, I haven't read a single report or "expert opinion" that said Schremp's talent was as good as Malkin or AO.
Sorry.

Offensively yes... but both Malkin had the size and Physical play, which would have made them more attractive in the draft, even if they were equal. Is Malkin or Ovechkin better with the puck, or a better passer? How do their shots compare with Schremp's?

Offensively, he's right up there... add in the other things that Malkin and Ovechkin have, and they are better prospects.

I have no problem admitting that.

BTW, how many times have you seen Malkin and Ovechkin play? (WJC and highlights don't count).

Umm... why doesn't the WJC count?

Oh wait, because neither guy had a good WJC tournament.

That makes sense.

I beleive Ovechkin and Malkin are offensively talented because judging by what I've read and seen on Schremp, most of the puplications have been pretty accurate.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
dawgbone said:
Umm... why doesn't the WJC count?

Oh wait, because neither guy had a good WJC tournament.

That makes sense.

I beleive Ovechkin and Malkin are offensively talented because judging by what I've read and seen on Schremp, most of the puplications have been pretty accurate.

Because everyone's seen the WJC. SO I assumed you saw them there.
But how many regular season games have you seen that featured one of the two russians?
So?
See it goes both ways. I may not have seen Schremp all that much, but you haven't seen much of Malkin and Ovechkin either. So to say he's "right up there" is just as debatable as someone saying "it's not even close" (which I'm not saying).

Anyway, if you knock AO and EM's WJC, do I need to remind you where Robbie was during last WJC? :D

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa Senators

1. Antoine Vermette
2. Brandon Bochenski
3. Alexei Kaigorodov
4. Andrei Meszaros
5. Ray Emery
6. Patrick Eaves
7. Igor Mirnov
8. Jeff Glass
9. Roman Wick
10. Shawn Weller
11. Kirill Lyamin
12. Kelly Guard
13. Jan Platil
14. Phillip Seydoux
15. Alexander Nikulin

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
DoobieDoobieDo said:
JDD-8.5B
Josh Harding 7.5B
Hannu Toivonen 8A
David Leveanu- 8B
Cam Ward- 8B
Tobias Stephens- 6.5
Kari Lehtonen- 9A
Maxime Daigneault- 6.5A

I think that JDD's ranking is slightly off compared to all these other goaltenders picked in the 1st and 2nd round. Most of them actually feel good, they are good rankings except for JDD, who is slightly off.

Schremp should be around a 7.5-8...9-10 are reserved for Malkin, Ovechkin, Lehtonen, Crosby, guys that are franchise players.

8.5B isnt that bad for JDD, and as eveyrone probably knows i am not a fan of his. He should be an 8B, there isnt a HUGE amount of difference. Id put him up there with Toivanen and ahead of Ward/Lenevue.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
My take on the Oilers. This may not be final...I could alter it a bit:

1. JDD
2. Schremp
3. Pouliot
4. Woywitka
5. Lynch
6. Dubnyk
7. Greene
8. Salmelainen
9. Niinimaki
10. Mikhnov
11. Rita
12. Jacques
13. Umicevic (still really undecided on where he should be)
14. McDonald
15. Tesliuk
16. Brodziak
17. Stortini
18. Winchester
19. Reddox
20. Cullen

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Evilo said:
Anyway, if you knock AO and EM's WJC, do I need to remind you where Robbie was during last WJC? :D
That's pretty irrelevant, seeing as how the U.S. was the most experienced team at the tourney, and hardly ever take a guy for the team that's in his draft year (let alone one they've had off-ice issues with).

He'll most likely be there THIS year, and that's when you can judge his international play.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
dawgbone said:
:shakehead

7.5 is a 2nd line centre... and that is below Schremp's top potential. Skill-wise, Schremp was right up there with Malkin and Ovechkin... that isn't debatable.

The reason for the letter grade, is to add a secondary element. The number is supposed to refelect top potential, the letter grade balances that out.

I don't understand the confusion here is.

Ovechkin - 9A vs Schremp 9C. There is a huge difference here.

If we use this logic, then O'Sullivan definitely should be a 9B.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Evilo said:
Because everyone's seen the WJC. SO I assumed you saw them there.
But how many regular season games have you seen that featured one of the two russians?
So?
See it goes both ways. I may not have seen Schremp all that much, but you haven't seen much of Malkin and Ovechkin either. So to say he's "right up there" is just as debatable as someone saying "it's not even close" (which I'm not saying).

You have this incredible ability to be selective. It's an incredible skill you have there.

I am just going by what I read. Most of the publications have said the following about Schremp:

NHL calibre wrist shot
Excellent passer
Very gifted stickhandler
Relies too much on his forehand
Skating needs to improve
Doesn't have that top gear
Poor defensively

And having watched him play a few dozen times (both last year and this year), it's spot on... and having said that, when they also say he was up there with the top 2 in terms of offense and skill, I will trust what they say.

In London. And do you honestly think it was because he didn't have enough skill to play on that team?

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
MePutPuckInNet said:
If we use this logic, then O'Sullivan definitely should be a 9B.

Alright, whatever.

I am just going on what the rating page lists as criteria... and to be honest, Patrick wouldn't be a 9B, he'd probably also be a 9C.

Is there really a difference between a 9C and an 8B rating? I don't think so. Seems to me that the only difference is absolute top end potential.

Seems to be a pretty stupid argument. I mean, couldn't you list every prospect as a 9F? It's about common sense.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
01) Antti Miettinen
02) Johan Fransson
03) Jussi Jokinen
04) Loui Eriksson
05) Trevor Daley
06) Dan Ellis
07) Yared Hagos
08) Mark Fistric
09) Shawn Belle
10) Junior Lessard
11) Niclas Grossman
12) Tobias Stephan
13) Vojtach Polak
14) Matt Nickerson
15) BJ Crombeen
16) Joel Lundqvist
17) Alexander Naurov
18) Dan Jancevski
19) David Bararuk
20) Raymond Sawada

I think Ellis is no longer even a top ten. Style wise, he reminded me of Irbe and not in a good way. He looks small in the net and was a poor puckhandler. I thought he was the guy we should have looked to trade not Cash. He is off to a terrible start. I actually think Smith's style which mimicks Turco will make him the back-up unless they have money for a Braithwaite type. Ellis is also 25 and seems to be regressing. A career AHL at best IMO unless he really turns it around. Next year I think both Hagos and Jokinin will be sent over and there is a chance having to fill up the Iowa roster a guy like Polak could be sent as well. Polak looks like a bust so far as a sniper with 2 goals in 2 years is no sniper so a move to Na could perhaps save him. Lundqvist whose role may be similar to Hagos could also come over. North Americas Crombeen , Belle, Waugh(who should probably be near the end of the list somewhere will likely) need to be signed as well in order to fill up a roster in Iowa. There could also be a suprise signing or two like Elomo, Bernikov or Khomitski for the same reason. Next year will be a very interesting year for stars prospect fans. Hopefully, some of the d-men will show an ability to play big minutes and a wing or two will emerge offensively

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Schremp has been compared to Marc Savard. Malkin has been compared to Joe Thornton and Joe Sakic. There is more than a bit of difference between these guys.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Schremp has more often been compared to doug weight with a better shot. But regardless, comparisons are a rather weak argument about who is better, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad