Speculation: Rentals To Target At The Trade Deadline

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have no idea why people are so interested in Nash. He looked about done last season, hasn't stepped on ice for half a year since and now has half a foot in retirement already. I see no reason to pursue that whatsoever.

We really should pursue a top four RD though. A real one, not McQuaid or Engelland or something. We don't need a piece for our bottom pairing, we need someone who can play with Rielly and not be an exploitable weakness. But it also needs to be an option that doesn't trip us up cap-wise as well. Edler might be the most interesting name in the thread in that way.

Nash could make sense if injuries are piling on for example and they want a free veteran on the fourth line or something. I don't think he looked THAT bad last year but he's really not a priority if we're healthy. Remember that after the deadline that the roster limit is lifted, so it could be someone to play sparingly and to keep the Marlies core in the AHL.

I definitely agree though that priority number 1 is to find a better defensive partner for Rielly. I don't mind Ozhiganov right now but if you could bump him for Hainsey to play with Dermott, I think it would be quite the depth to have.

Tanev is a good target to me if the price makes sense. Pietrangelo might be the McDonagh of the trade deadline if the Blues are really bad by then. Parayko would make a ton of sense both short and long-term, and he's apparently been available for the right price. Spurgeon would also be great.

I don't see a ton of other options right now though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nash could make sense if injuries are piling on for example and they want a free veteran on the fourth line or something. I don't think he looked THAT bad last year but he's really not a priority if we're healthy. Remember that after the deadline that the roster limit is lifted, so it could be someone to play sparingly and to keep the Marlies core in the AHL.

I definitely agree though that priority number 1 is to find a better defensive partner for Rielly. I don't mind Ozhiganov right now but if you could bump him for Hainsey to play with Dermott, I think it would be quite the depth to have.

Tanev is a good target to me if the price makes sense. Pietrangelo might be the McDonagh of the trade deadline if the Blues are really bad by then. Parayko would make a ton of sense both short and long-term, and he's apparently been available for the right price. Spurgeon would also be great.

I don't see a ton of other options right now though.
I can't see Blues going rebuild, they are too exposed with their traded picks. Conceding they need to rebuild probably means Armstrong is fired.

I hope a solid RHD emerges but I'm skeptical. I would test the waters on Duchene as a LW addition, similar to his role with Hockey Canada at major events.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can't see Blues going rebuild, they are too exposed with their traded picks. Conceding they need to rebuild probably means Armstrong is fired.

I hope a solid RHD emerges but I'm skeptical. I would test the waters on Duchene as a LW addition, similar to his role with Hockey Canada at major events.

And you think Ottawa will concede with their traded 1st round pick? Apparently they are going to re-sign Duchene to a 9M contract or something.

Spurgeon, Tanev and Parayko have been in the rumours here and there for a while now. While they are not going to be easy to acquire, I think there's probably something there if the price makes sense. They fit the cap going into next season as well.

I also hate pure rentals that cost an arm and a leg to acquire. Absolutely hate it, especially when there is zero chance they get re-signed. If you're going for it, go after someone that can fit your team for more than 2-3 months. That's why I really liked what Yzerman did to acquire McDonagh.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
I wouldn’t want any fringe upgrades. If you’re gonna get someone, get someone good.

A Pietro, Muzzin, Edler someone that can actually play too pair with Rielly.

I’d almost like to get two pieces but that’s just being greedy. I don’t feel comfortable with Hainsey or Zaitsev in a top four role in the playoffs. Barely feel comfortable with Gardiner. Hope management has some tricks up their sleeves to address the d core. Best offence in the league, let’s not waste it when we’ve got other assets to patch up any weaknesses.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm waiting until closer to the time and seeing who's available before I start getting interested in players

I wouldn't bother with depth though, we've got that already, go big or go home, so unless it's a genuine top 4D upgrade I'm not really interested

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Havnt seen any Vancouver games this year but Tanevs numbers are an absolute train wreck. I have 100% confidence is saying that both Hainsey and Zaitsev have been better than him.

Muzzin looks very interesting though.

Reactions: Walshy7

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
What would it cost to get Tanev at 50% retained? Signed this year and next, would carry around 2.2M cap hit next year. Muezzin at 50% retained would be amazing as well

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I have no idea why people are so interested in Nash. He looked about done last season, hasn't stepped on ice for half a year since and now has half a foot in retirement already. I see no reason to pursue that whatsoever.

I'm guessing it's because those people have never looked up Superstar Rick Nash's laughable playoff numbers.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I would like to see us add Rick Nash as a FA and Chris Tanev through trade.

To Toronto:
Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:
2019 first round pick
2020 second round pick
Justin Holl

Just added Holl because we'll need to move a body out to make room for him. I think adding Nash would be huge for our bottom 6 and depth overall.

Lines would be:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Nash-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis/Gauthier

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

Wow.

Too pricy for Tanev. Why do people overrate tanev. Hes not that great

AwesomeMatthews34

Dec 3, 2018
Assuming Vegas is out of the playoffs at the deadline, I think Colin Miller might be a target.

- Top 4 RHD
- 26 years old
- Soo Greyhound product
- 3.9 million salary going forward

I'm not saying he would be cheap, I'm saying he hits all the right notes and Dubas would probably consider paying what he's worth.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they want to win in the playoffs they’ll need a gritty top 6 forward a gritty D and a favourable first round matchup.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
We gotta stop worrying about the left right thing. Ron freaking Hainsey is making everyone poke out their collective eyeballs doing it right now it can’t get worse

While I do think we need an upgrade on the right side, Hainsey is like top 5 in the league for QoC. His numbers are actually not bad overall for the comp he faces but , yeah, would love to find another top 4 for the playoff run regardles of what side they shoot on. but.....

Not sure the 3rd worst defensive team is the place to go to find help.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Assuming Vegas is out of the playoffs at the deadline, I think Colin Miller might be a target.

- Top 4 RHD
- 26 years old
- Soo Greyhound product
- 3.9 million salary going forward

I'm not saying he would be cheap, I'm saying he hits all the right notes and Dubas would probably consider paying what he's worth.

I think Vegas will finish top 3 in the Pacific

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And you think Ottawa will concede with their traded 1st round pick? Apparently they are going to re-sign Duchene to a 9M contract or something.

Spurgeon, Tanev and Parayko have been in the rumours here and there for a while now. While they are not going to be easy to acquire, I think there's probably something there if the price makes sense. They fit the cap going into next season as well.

I also hate pure rentals that cost an arm and a leg to acquire. Absolutely hate it, especially when there is zero chance they get re-signed. If you're going for it, go after someone that can fit your team for more than 2-3 months. That's why I really liked what Yzerman did to acquire McDonagh.
Ottawa already conceded by trading EK.

Let's see how Duchene plays out. He absolutely would make us elite at our 2nd weakest position if used as LW. I don't think Melnyk is willing to give the types of bonuses and lockout protection most top teams are giving.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
#2 rhd for a #1 pick (assuming this is a pure ufa 1 yr rental situation. Then this team has no weaknesses, barring injury.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Kind of random, but Eric Stall.
Last year of contract, 3.5m

Playing well, great shot, playoff performer.
If Minesota misses (7th in west right now) he could give us cheap but insane depth.

Kappanen Matthew's Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marer
Marleau Kadri Stall (3 centers, all 2 way guys, Stall adds a "sniper" to the kind and a ton of size/ grit)
Brown Lindholm Johnsson
Ennis

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
The other thing about Nash is that you don’t give up a single asset for him, and if he is ****e you don’t play him. There is absolutely nothing to lose by signing him if he wants to come, but a lot to gain if he comes in healthy, fresh and motivated to play for his hometown. This may be a last chance at a cup for him. Seems like a good motivator.

Yeah, healthy. That's the big question. I doubt it. Even with all the rest, he's got some lingering issues for sure. I'd rather that players such as Kapanen and Johnsson get more ice time instead. Hell, Kapanen looked damn good on the first line while Nylander was out. Toronto is all about speed and skill now. While Nash has skill, last playoffs he proved he couldn't even hit the side of a barn with his shot now. Not worth the risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad