Speculation: Rentals To Target At The Trade Deadline

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Tak you sights off Erik Karlsson right now. San Jose doesn't have a 1st this year or next, if they trade EK to the East they forfeit their 1st 3 years down the line as. Start with what it wlould take for a rental possible best D in the league, then add your 1st, and then depending on how San Jose feels about their team in 3 years time you might need to add more to make up the difference between TOR 2019 1st and SJ 2021 1st

You'd probably be looking at 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Liljegren, Grundstrom

and that's ridiculous, but the stipulations around the first Karlsson trade forces it to be ridiculous for them to send him East.

Exactly why it would cost too much for EK. With our cap going forward dealing away 1st or multiple 1sts for a pure rental we have 0 hope of resigning makes 0 sense.

We need those picks to turn into players we can fit around our core on cheap ELC's.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Looked pretty good winning all those gold medals for Canada with Babs as the coach. I would say Babs has had Nash play the best hockey of his career in those high pressure tournaments.

That Nash is not even close to the current one. The current one is ready to retire after suffering a other concussion. We do not need to waste valuable space on someone who could end up adding nothing of any value.

Much better to bring up Marchment and give him some playoff experience. Costs us absolutely nothing.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
They could have waived Marincin or Holl to make room for Nylander, and didn't.
Doubt they will for Nash. Defensive depth is crucial in the playoffs.

According to Bobby Mac, they didnt waive either of those 2 because Leivo was coming out of the lineup for Nylander and management promised him they would move him if that happened again.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Looked pretty good winning all those gold medals for Canada with Babs as the coach. I would say Babs has had Nash play the best hockey of his career in those high pressure tournaments.

okay. but that's short tournament. in the playoffs. he hasn't done well. and I wouldn't really want to sign someone who hasn't played since like what? last May to a contract and expect them to be an impact player (which we need) because five years ago, he was playing good Olympic hockey.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Ask me in January/February with teams selling and buying.

If the Blues are selling Pietrangelo or Parayko........

Yeah, I was thinking a more modest upgrade on Hainsey to partner with Rielly, but f*** it, why not? That would make as complete of a team as we could ever hope to have.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've been thinking Pietrangelo since the summer if they were going to fall on their faces, which they did... But I don't think I could stomach much more than Kapanen, random prospect and a pick for 2 years of him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Took a look at expiring deals on Cap Friendly, and came across this list. I’m personally rooting for San Jose to crash and burn so they sell Erik Karlsson at the deadline. Can you imagine if we can acquire him at the deadline for a Cup push? Edler is another interesting name, and that’s not even looking at any forward help... joe Thornton for a vet presence and run with Marleau as a 4C would also be hella fun.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

San Jose looks like they're a little late to the party eh. Just over the hill enough that it's not going to work out for them.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
San Jose looks like they're a little late to the party eh. Just over the hill enough that it's not going to work out for them.

San Jose had many good years of contention, but I agree their window is slowly closing.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Big names are fun to speculate but they don’t always come in and do the job you expect. They don’t always fit the way your team has been set up and the way it’s coach deployed.

You end up wasting 1st round picks + prospects for something that was just meh.
If we are trading something decent, I’d rather have it done before the deadline and find something that is a really good fit for now and later.

I don’t mind giving up stuff for something that is here for multiple runs. Not just a 1 shot.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If we could get Pietrangelo for a combination of futures, I say we do it. We will have to part with all of Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Marleau and Brown to get him, Matthews and Marner under contract for next year. Pietrangelo only makes 6.5M this year and next, which really isnt outrageous.

Reactions: Walshy7

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we could get Pietrangelo for a combination of futures, I say we do it. We will have to part with all of Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Marleau and Brown to get him, Matthews and Marner under contract for next year. Pietrangelo only makes 6.5M this year and next, which really isnt outrageous.

I'd look at the McDonagh trade as something the Leafs could potentially do to get him... But it's not going to be easy. It would definitely take Liljegren to get it done, among other assets.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I would like to see us add Rick Nash as a FA and Chris Tanev through trade.

To Toronto:
Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:
2019 first round pick
2020 second round pick
Justin Holl

Just added Holl because we'll need to move a body out to make room for him. I think adding Nash would be huge for our bottom 6 and depth overall.

Lines would be:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Nash-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis/Gauthier

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

Wow.

Reactions: TML1967

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
He won't be totally free though - the Leafs will have to waive/trade another forward. Don't really want to see the team lose another over someone who isn't going to help the team.

Plus - he's not in the league right now, because of concussion issues. He's ready to retire. This isn't some thoroughbred who is itching to come back.

No, after trade deadline we can have as many players as we want on the roster as long as we are compliant with the salary cap. So all we need to do is send down a waiver exempt player (Like dermott) and bring them back up after the deadline and use one of our callups. They did it last year when we acquired Plekanec

Reactions: smitty10

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Players im interested in for the deadline:

On Defence: (Im assuming Tanev,Faulk,Pysyk or Gudas won't be available)
-Martinez
-Engelland

Up front:
Nash (Top priority because it costs nothing)
Maroon
Hagelin (People don't seem to keen on this, but he's an amazing playoff player and adds another element of speed to our lineup. A Hagelin-Kadri-Kapanen line is amazing)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Players im interested in for the deadline:

On Defence: (Im assuming Tanev,Faulk,Pysyk or Gudas won't be available)
-Martinez
-Engelland

Up front:
Nash (Top priority because it costs nothing)
Maroon
Hagelin (People don't seem to keen on this, but i really like him as a player. A Hagelin-Kadri-Kapanen line is amazing)
Maroon isn't going anywhere. He's in his hometown and happy. Haglin has hands of stone. No thanks. I want Nash though.

All the D you mention minus maybe Faulk should be available. Most on bad teams that should be rebuilding or going in another direction from these players.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have no idea why people are so interested in Nash. He looked about done last season, hasn't stepped on ice for half a year since and now has half a foot in retirement already. I see no reason to pursue that whatsoever.

We really should pursue a top four RD though. A real one, not McQuaid or Engelland or something. We don't need a piece for our bottom pairing, we need someone who can play with Rielly and not be an exploitable weakness. But it also needs to be an option that doesn't trip us up cap-wise as well. Edler might be the most interesting name in the thread in that way.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Maroon isn't going anywhere. He's in his hometown and happy. Haglin has hands of stone. No thanks. I want Nash though.

All the D you mention minus maybe Faulk should be available. Most on bad teams that should be rebuilding or going in another direction from these players.

Vancovuer will keep Tanev around for when Quinn Hughes comes up to the NHL. They are a perfect pairing, and they need someone to mentor that young Defence.

Both Philly and Florida are fringe playoff teams. They really aren't in a position to be trading players from their rosters for futures.

Engelland might not even be available too, due to Management admiration of him. They likely want him to retire a golden knight

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
A top 4 D (preferably right handed to cater to Babcock’s obsession) and we are set for a long playoff run.

Who this top 4 D is I have no idea.

Rebuild is over, now is the time to go for it.

Reactions: jaric1862

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad