GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The whole idea is you'd need Tavares to waive and he probably only waives if he knows he'll be free to pick his next team once bought out. I doubt he waives if he has to play in Philly for a year.

He actually had excellent underlying numbers this season and is still very good defensively. He could easily play 2C behind Matthews and actually PK unlike Tavares. Worst case scenario he gets another big injury and he rides out his career on LTIR.

No the worst case is he gets a series of small to medium injuries and is consistently in and out of the lineup but never for long enough to use LTIR.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
To Toronto-
Pierre Luc Dubois
Trevor Moore
Brandt Clarke

To Kings-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Nick Robertson

Resign Domi 5 yrs x 3.5 million
Sign Matt Roy- 5 yrs x 5 million
Sign Brady Skjei- 6 yrs x 6 million

Moore-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Dubois-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Grebyonkin-Holmberg-Dewar

Rielly-Roy
Skjei-Clarke
Benoit-McCabe
Brandt Clarke is awesome. Dubois woud be a good move I think but worried about his attitude. We definitley need a 2C and a 1D. Clarke could become a 1D pretty quickly.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I would do Marner for Couturier and Oliver Bonk.
Bonk is going to become a top RHD
I don't know if he would waive for Philly - especially with Torts there.

I was even thinking Marner for Konecny straight up. I know that he's another winger, but a completely different player and good start to reshape the core. Free's up $5.3M for D.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Brandt Clarke is awesome. Dubois woud be a good move I think but worried about his attitude. We definitley need a 2C and a 1D. Clarke could become a 1D pretty quickly.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but with all the culture and attitude problems constantly circling this team, Dubois seems like the worst possible trade candidate.

I don't know if he would waive for Philly - especially with Torts there.

I was even thinking Marner for Konecny straight up. I know that he's another winger, but a completely different player and good start to reshape the core. Free's up $5.3M for D.

I'm a bit of a TK fan but if they could pull this off and land a big RD fish with that cap, I think that makes the team better overall.

Obviously I think we lose that trade in a vacuum.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don't mean to be a jerk, but with all the culture and attitude problems constantly circling this team, Dubois seems like the worst possible trade candidate.

I'm a bit of a TK fan but if they could pull this off and land a big RD fish with that cap, I think that makes the team better overall.

Obviously I think we lose that trade in a vacuum.
In a vacuum, sure. At least you're acquiring a pK'r too. Something that's forgotten in the trade Marner conversion - we would be giving up a big part of the pk. I think that he changes the culture too.

Pesce, Montour and Tanev are the biggest fish out there. Or are you thinking second trade? Would Seatle part with Larsson?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
In a vacuum, sure. At least you're acquiring a pK'r too. Something that's forgotten in the trade Marner conversion - we would be giving up a big part of the pk. I think that he changes the culture too.

Pesce, Montour and Tanev are the biggest fish out there. Or are you thinking second trade? Would Seatle part with Larsson?

As good as Mitch is, if you can turn him into TK and one of the signings you mentioned I think you gotta do it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Marner to Seattle could work.

Marner (10.9M)
for
Larsson (4M) + Shane Wright + Gourde (5.1M) / 2024 2nd (via Rangers)

They'll have about 23 million in cap space this off season, which would allow them to absorb a contract like Marner's without sending filler.

The Leafs add a much needed RD to partner with Rielly, a young top 6 center to groom as Tavares replacement as soon as this year, and either a gritty winger to replace Bert for a year or a second round pick and cap space to resign Bert.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We have 3 holes to fill and they are all very important.

2C, 1D and 3D.

I do think Marner could actually be a good C but ive been saying that for years and they never try it. Not sure why hes great defensively and has the wheels and all the skills to play up the middle.

If not though hopefully we could get a 1D for Mitch because no idea how else we would get one.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Hey. What about Nashville for Marner, especially Getty getting him for a free year?
Some extra picks, some buy low forwards, the young goalie.
Nashville’s a cool place for a young couple, they could use him, way less public/media scrutiny, good management.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
keller and durzi for marner base is something i could talk myself into
Everybody and their mother would sign off on that, great deal for us. Utah should be adding to Keller, not swapping him for Marner, borderline horizontal move.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Huge turnover next season, Edmundson, Lybushkin, Brodie, Bertuzzi, Samsonov , unsigned

Kampf, Robertson, Jarnkrok and possibly Liljegren as well traded

Greb, Minten, Cowan , Tsyplakov ? Maybe earnings spots

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
We have 3 holes to fill and they are all very important.

2C, 1D and 3D.

I do think Marner could actually be a good C but ive been saying that for years and they never try it. Not sure why hes great defensively and has the wheels and all the skills to play up the middle.

If not though hopefully we could get a 1D for Mitch because no idea how else we would get one.
Goalie is right there too.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Brandt Clarke would be a wonderful addition... but LA really doesn't have the cap room to do such a deal, without sending cap back. They'd probably want to send PLD along with Clarke, which is a deal killer IMO.
I suggested Marner for Dubois, Clarke and a 2025 2nd a few pages back… Dubois is a very polarizing player sure but this return address’ 3 needs, second line center, top four defenceman and a draft pick. I would do it and then work on moving JT.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I suggested Marner for Dubois, Clarke and a 2025 2nd a few pages back… Dubois is a very polarizing player sure but this return address’ 3 needs, second line center, top four defenceman and a draft pick. I would do it and then work on moving JT.
I would NEVER want Dubois on the Leafs because for anyone who's been complaining about Marner, they'll likely be complaining 10 times more about Dubois. His best season offensively in the NHL is Marner's worst season in the NHL. I don't want a guy getting paid 8.5 million for the next 7 years on the Leafs when he's looking more likely to get worse than get better.

If we're going to trade Marner and if he agrees to move on, then maybe retain 50% on his contract and see how good a package you could get for him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would NEVER want Dubois on the Leafs because for anyone who's been complaining about Marner, they'll likely be complaining 10 times more about Dubois. His best season offensively in the NHL is Marner's worst season in the NHL. I don't want a guy getting paid 8.5 million for the next 7 years on the Leafs when he's looking more likely to get worse than get better.

If we're going to trade Marner and if he agrees to move on, then maybe retain 50% on his contract and see how good a package you could get for him.
Byfield would be another good target from LA. Not sure if LA would be interested in something like this but Marner + Jarnkrok for Clarke, Byfield, and Moore.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Byfield would be another good target from LA. Not sure if LA would be interested in something like this but Marner + Jarnkrok for Clarke, Byfield, and Moore.
I'd be good with getting Clarke and Byfield for Marner +, but I'm not sure LA would be interested.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad