Speculation: Rentals To Target At The Trade Deadline

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Took a look at expiring deals on Cap Friendly, and came across this list. I’m personally rooting for San Jose to crash and burn so they sell Erik Karlsson at the deadline. Can you imagine if we can acquire him at the deadline for a Cup push? Edler is another interesting name, and that’s not even looking at any forward help... joe Thornton for a vet presence and run with Marleau as a 4C would also be hella fun.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Sorry but EK and Jumbo Joe are just pipe dreams. We don't need either of them and neither can we afford them.
We would have to almost empty our prospect cupboard for EK after what SJ gave up for him.

We only need a mid pairing dman for some depth and that's about it. I'd rather see us give Marchment a shot then bring someone in at a cost.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Sorry but EK and Jumbo Joe are just pipe dreams. We don't need either of them and neither can we afford them.
We would have to almost empty our prospect cupboard for EK after what SJ gave up for him.

We only need a mid pairing dman for some depth and that's about it. I'd rather see us give Marchment a shot then bring someone in at a cost.

We need an upgrade on Hainsey. He is not good enough to be with Rielly come playoff time. You think he will make it through 4 rounds of playoffs, potentially?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We will sign Rick Nash in the new year. That is my guess. Similar to what Nashville did with Mike Fisher last season. A line of: Marleau - Kadri - Nash would be a nice 3rd line.

I could also see us making a move for a top 4 D.

No thanks to Rick Nash.

Even in his good years, he choked when it mattered most.

Now, without him playing for half the year? I'd rather give up a lower draft for a warm body, than Rick Nash.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013

Umm, yeah the leafs have the cap space this year to get EK. If he’s a pure rental and won’t sign, he won’t cost much. Hell San Jose didn’t give up much of value at all to get him... quantity doesn’t really equal quality there. The only stickler is that San Jose has to give Ottawa a first round pick if EK ends up on an eastern conference team this year, so we’d have to help compensate there.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
We will sign Rick Nash in the new year. That is my guess. Similar to what Nashville did with Mike Fisher last season. A line of: Marleau - Kadri - Nash would be a nice 3rd line.

Nash is way overrated. He was the only player on the bruins last year who made me feel safe when he had the puck. No thanks.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
A top 4 D that works out pushes this team ever more over the top. Question is who, preferably somebody who’s has plenty of playoff experience and has been there done that.

I’d focus on teams near the bottom of the standings looking to get draft picks and begin rebuilding, immediately the LA Kings come to mind, and I look at a guy called Jake Muzzin.

If we’re looking for more of a vet presence I see Jay Bouwmeester in St. Louis.

Have to be realistic about this, EK isn’t realistic.

Reactions: Duffman955

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It will be a MASSIVE gamble to go with Rielly-Hainsey as your #1 D pairing in the playoffs. I love our team, I really do, but we ain't going that far with Hainsey still on the top pairing.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Tak you sights off Erik Karlsson right now. San Jose doesn't have a 1st this year or next, if they trade EK to the East they forfeit their 1st 3 years down the line as. Start with what it wlould take for a rental possible best D in the league, then add your 1st, and then depending on how San Jose feels about their team in 3 years time you might need to add more to make up the difference between TOR 2019 1st and SJ 2021 1st

You'd probably be looking at 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Liljegren, Grundstrom

and that's ridiculous, but the stipulations around the first Karlsson trade forces it to be ridiculous for them to send him East.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No thanks to Rick Nash.

Even in his good years, he choked when it mattered most.

Now, without him playing for half the year? I'd rather give up a lower draft for a warm body, than Rick Nash.

I'd give him a chance, especially now that Leivo is gone. He's a big body who can play both ways. Worst case, he totally flops and can just be in the press box for some veteran leadership (like Moore last year). Best case, he's a great addition for the playoffs for no cost.

Either way, he comes totally free with absolutely zero risk besides maybe shipping Holl on waivers, which should happen anyways. I'd take him over wasting assets on a depth guy. The Leafs have enough depth that they do not need to waste their assets on getting more.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I really hope we don't, because Nash isn't very good in the playoffs.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't see us making a trade deadline deal unless we have an injury. The only thing I can think of is to get an RHD to play with Rielly and bump Oz out of the lineup and Hainsy play with Dermott?

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Can we trade for edler and simmonds at deadline? Only interested in them for a Cup run this year for picks. If we have to give up someone on roster forget it. Read on another thread we may not have the cap room this season due to nylander contract, horton contract and performance contracts. No sense talking about it if it is a non starter? I would like some insurance and get a little bigger for playoffs.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The other thing about Nash is that you don’t give up a single asset for him, and if he is shite you don’t play him. There is absolutely nothing to lose by signing him if he wants to come, but a lot to gain if he comes in healthy, fresh and motivated to play for his hometown. This may be a last chance at a cup for him. Seems like a good motivator.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd give him a chance, especially now that Leivo is gone. He's a big body who can play both ways. Worst case, he totally flops and can just be in the press box for some veteran leadership (like Moore last year). Best case, he's a great addition for the playoffs for no cost.

Either way, he comes totally free with absolutely zero risk besides maybe shipping Holl on waivers, which should happen anyways. I'd take him over wasting assets on a depth guy. The Leafs have enough depth that they do not need to waste their assets on getting more.

He won't be totally free though - the Leafs will have to waive/trade another forward. Don't really want to see the team lose another over someone who isn't going to help the team.

Plus - he's not in the league right now, because of concussion issues. He's ready to retire. This isn't some thoroughbred who is itching to come back.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I think I'd be fine with Kronwall, Edler, JBouw, or take Gunnarson back. Not sure how any of the realistic options up front add anything to our team. Honestly. I question this at the back end, but I'd take a chance on a few D, depending on ask from their teams.

Reactions: zaqq

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He won't be totally free though - the Leafs will have to waive/trade another forward. Don't really want to see the team lose another over someone who isn't going to help the team.

Plus - he's not in the league right now, because of concussion issues. He's ready to retire. This isn't some thoroughbred who is itching to come back.

Not that I am onboard with signing Nash, but the Leafs could waive Marincin or Holl to make room for Nash. They don't have to waive a forward for him.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not that I am onboard with signing Nash, but the Leafs could waive Marincin or Holl to make room for Nash. They don't have to waive a forward for him.

They could have waived Marincin or Holl to make room for Nylander, and didn't.
Doubt they will for Nash. Defensive depth is crucial in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->