Speculation: Rentals To Target At The Trade Deadline

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Forwards I'd love to add (in order)

1) Lawson Crowse (cheap guy, skates decently well and has shown he can win pick battles in the corner. Young and can develop with the core, cheap now and can sign him to a bridge deal for cheap. Could end up being a great Hyman type with more size to play long term with Matthees+ Nylander. So far his scoring stats are bad so wrong be too expensive.

Wayne Simmonds ( size, grit, speed, forechecking ability) Best bet for this year to win the cup, likely cant sign him in off season

Kreider (drools) Adding his speed to our forward group would be fun.
A 1st line of Kreider Matthew's Nylander would be hard to combat, or a 3rd line of Kreider Kadri Kappanen would be hard to keep up with.

Maroon ( see Simmonds with less scoring touch)

Defensively, I think if St. Louis keeps struggling, Parayako could become available. Maroon+Parayako for futures+ prospects should fill all the Leafs needs. Even if it costs multiple 1sts + so mid prospects.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
a. I don't think Nash is healthy
b. If he is healthy, he is one big hit from being done
c. Assuming he's healthy and plays the entire time, he's been a subpar playoff performer in his career.

Not much of an upgrade IMO.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No, after trade deadline we can have as many players as we want on the roster as long as we are compliant with the salary cap. So all we need to do is send down a waiver exempt player (Like dermott) and bring them back up after the deadline and use one of our callups. They did it last year when we acquired Plekanec

Yes yes, you are right. My bad forgot about the trade deadline roster limit stuff

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I see the Blues moving Pietrangelo ahead of Parayko as a roster core shake up move.

And I've already said my feelings about Pietro

As it stands I'm content with the forward group as I'm liking what I'm seeing from Ennis and Johnsson right now. But the LW side would be one I may want to upgrade by the deadline with some size/grit/scoring. One off the map name could be Marcus Johansson - carries a higher cap hit but, if he's the only acquisition, the Leafs could acquire him for a discounted price and he could provide some size/depth scoring.

Securing a top 4 D is the only deal I'd look for. That would put the team at Tampa/Nashville's level. But I wouldn't do it at all costs. I see Sandin/Lily as integral pieces going forward and their cheap ELC's are vital to the Leafs' being able to become a sustainable contender.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Forwards I'd love to add (in order)

1) Lawson Crowse (cheap guy, skates decently well and has shown he can win pick battles in the corner. Young and can develop with the core, cheap now and can sign him to a bridge deal for cheap. Could end up being a great Hyman type with more size to play long term with Matthees+ Nylander. So far his scoring stats are bad so wrong be too expensive.

Wayne Simmonds ( size, grit, speed, forechecking ability) Best bet for this year to win the cup, likely cant sign him in off season

Kreider (drools) Adding his speed to our forward group would be fun.
A 1st line of Kreider Matthew's Nylander would be hard to combat, or a 3rd line of Kreider Kadri Kappanen would be hard to keep up with.

Maroon ( see Simmonds with less scoring touch)

Defensively, I think if St. Louis keeps struggling, Parayako could become available. Maroon+Parayako for futures+ prospects should fill all the Leafs needs. Even if it costs multiple 1sts + so mid prospects.

Would love to add him. If he could do the Hyman role as a puck retriever and forechecker, but fight a little that would be great addition to the 3rd or 4th line.

Coyote fan said they'd move him for Bracco + 2nd.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The other thing about Nash is that you don’t give up a single asset for him, and if he is ****e you don’t play him. There is absolutely nothing to lose by signing him if he wants to come, but a lot to gain if he comes in healthy, fresh and motivated to play for his hometown. This may be a last chance at a cup for him. Seems like a good motivator.

I'd be on this train of thought as well -- very little downside.

The Leafs do need to be at least weary of giving up too many draft picks this year -- they're going to need young, cheap, guys to step into the lineup over the next couple years, especially up front.

As another poster mentioned, Lawson Crouse would also be an interesting pickup -- a player that can likely be bridged cheap, and would likely find his way to opportunity in the playoffs on the left side amongst Marleau, Hyman and Johnsson.

As for defencemen... that will of course be tougher -- as they may be in a situation where it's strictly UFAs they can look at.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nash didn't put up good playoff totals but he was great at generating chances 3 feet away from Andersen's crease. We have 3 centers who are all elite garbage men, they'd be able to use his skillset way better than anyone Nash has played with so far.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Stralman and Breadman would fit like a glove but at what cost?

Eventually we'll have to have the balls to ship our first at the deadline for a rental but I don't think it's the time, with the core not even all in the fold after this year. I think next year we start doing that (lots of draft junkies gonna be sad soon).

Other than that, I'd take Rick Nash for a year and not a second longer.

Jaybo sounds finished, along with Myers and Gunnarsson no thank you.

I think we're more likely to see a trade for a guy like a Braun (or god willing Carlo) that we can keep for a few years than either a swing for the fences add or picking up a veteran.

Last edited:

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I think we need solid D (not necesessary top pair) Jerabek, Rutta & Jensen from the UFA pool, would be more than enough for me if cheap

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Though do we really need rental D ? Borgman and Rosen could be internal options and that would save us all assets.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
The Nash talk needs to die, he's done.

I doubt they'd move him for an affordable price but Ferland would be a nice pickup. Really though, any assets we move in a trade need to return a dman to play with Rielly, as it stands that is our achilles heel and this must be rectified.

Last edited:
Reactions: puckbunnygirl

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Would love to add Simmonds up front.

Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Simmonds
Johnsson Lindholm Brown

Lines could be adjusted to spread out the experience a little if need be.

Would love to have an upgrade on D to push Hainsey down but the way top 4 D are worshipped like gods around here I'm scared of the price tags on some of these guys.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd look at the McDonagh trade as something the Leafs could potentially do to get him... But it's not going to be easy. It would definitely take Liljegren to get it done, among other assets.

Ooh that’s tough. I know don’t fall in love with prospects but liljegren and sandin look like they are going to be pretty f***ing good. St. Louis will insist on top prospects though (as they should)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We gotta stop worrying about the left right thing. Ron freaking Hainsey is making everyone poke out their collective eyeballs doing it right now it can’t get worse

So wouldn’t that be a reason too worry? Hainsey proving he can’t play his off side, Surely babs has assessed all our d on who can play rd out of our lhd. If Hainsey is the best we have then I’d suggest a natural rhd is necessary

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pietrangelo and/or Simmonds.
I would bet on one of them coming, both would be amazing.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
One thing is certain: Dubas won't be paying a high cost for any rentals.
I think he's made it clear he's going to continue to build from within.
When Sandin and Liljegren are ready to contribute is when I feel like he'll start to round out the edges with impactful rentals.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
a. I don't think Nash is healthy
b. If he is healthy, he is one big hit from being done
c. Assuming he's healthy and plays the entire time, he's been a subpar playoff performer in his career.

Not much of an upgrade IMO.
Although his health is a legit concern...
I dont understand how his past failures as a lead guy are relevant in this case, here he'd be nothing but a support piece with size and experience, definitely an upgrade on Connor brown on the 3rd line. Basically if Rick Nash's playoff performance costs us the series, we have bigger problems cause it means our top guys weren't producing either

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Nash
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown
Ennis

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - McQuaid (preferably Engelland but doubt Vegas moves the local guy)
Ozhiganov

That forward lineup is the best in the league

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Mcquaid is a great target... along with alex petrovic. He would bring some grit to the back end.

We dont need to shake up the core, just some better depth than hainsey zaitsev and oz

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ooh that’s tough. I know don’t fall in love with prospects but liljegren and sandin look like they are going to be pretty ****ing good. St. Louis will insist on top prospects though (as they should)

It won't take both that's for sure. Look at the McDonagh trade, who I think is/was in the same stratosphere as Pietrangelo.

Namestnikov who is a middle line player that has (or had) similar stats to Connor Brown. Brett Howden was a darn good prospect at the time of the trade, I'd equate his value to Liljegren. Libor Hajek is an average prospect at most which is something we have plenty of. They also got a 1st round pick, which of course speaks for itself.

The other thing is that the lightning got arguably the second best player in this trade in JT Miller.

Not really a trade that would hurt us if we match the assets. The problem is that the Blues likely won't ask for the same things, so it's not that easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad