Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign JT Compher 5 x 5.1 AAV

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Here's the analytics on this one. Doesn't look so bad to me.

Fz-z4j9WIAA16ef.jpg
Colorado trusted him with a lot of playing time. I think he’s a good addition.

I think one of Copp or Compher will get moved over the next few trade deadlines. Whenever Kasper looks ready to be a regular and ready to make an impact.

We are a little overloaded at forward, but I like a number of the guys we brought in.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

I think one of Copp or Compher will get moved over the next few trade deadlines. Whenever Kasper looks ready to be a regular and ready to make an impact.

We are a little overloaded at forward, but I like a number of the guys we brought in.
No one will take on those terms.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar

He played a lot only due to the Avs being ravaged by injuries last season.

21-22 he averaged 15:19 per game. 14:14 the previous season.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
im not a fan on these signing but i was really pumped about last year and we see how that worked out so who knows.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Ok I've slept on this deal and don't hate it nearly as much.

I think most people outside of our fanbase are not being genuine about it either. Go look at the Evan Rodrigues signing thread.

Apparently Rosrigues, who is a lesser player, is 2 years older than Compher, and signed for only 1 year less and 2 mil aav less on a team with actual cap issues to deal with, is a fantastic signing for them, according to HFBoards.

You can't make this shit up.

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't mind Compher as a player, but I think the risk of the contract is much higher than the potential reward. Feels a little too "Fran Nielson-esque" for my liking. Before him was Weiss. Jury is still out for Copp.

The elephant in the room is goal scoring. Compher is a sub .5 ppg player, on a good team. I have a hard time seeing those number get BETTER. Even with more ice time and possibly an expanded role. With injuries there might be times where he's expected to carry a line and that's not realistic either.

Reactions: rangersblues

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I don't mind Compher as a player, but I think the risk of the contract is much higher than the potential reward. Feels a little too "Fran Nielson-esque" for my liking. Before him was Weiss. Jury is still out for Copp.

The elephant in the room is goal scoring. Compher is a sub .5 ppg player, on a good team. I have a hard time seeing those number get BETTER. Even with more ice time and possibly an expanded role. With injuries there might be times where he's expected to carry a line and that's not realistic either.
There is a small detail: When his contract runs out, Compher is going to be at the same age as was Nielsen as he signed that contract with Red Wings.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is a small detail: When his contract runs out, Compher is going to be at the same age as was Nielsen as he signed that contract with Red Wings.

Yeah, that's a "minor" difference.

We'll get the prime years of Compher, and people should worry a bit less.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I honestly believe that JT will outperform Copp and either move to his wing or be the 3C. I would love it, if we could package up Zadina + Veleno + whatever else for a meaningful acquisition (yes I prefer Debrincat or Nylander but I've lost hope at this point so whatever) and we have a center depth going into the season with:

Larkin - Compher - Copp - Kasper

If we don't get rid of Veleno, then I would want:

Larkin - Compher - Kasper - Veleno

This would move Copp to Kasper's wing and give him some help, while playing a wing position that I think Copp is more suited for at this point (just like Rasmussen who plays exponentially better as a winger than center...reminds me of the old days with Filippula).

Lineup with these changes and what I would most want at this point

Kubalik - Larkin - Meaningful trade acquisition
Rasmussen - Compher - Raymond
Copp - Kasper - Sprong
Kostin - Soderblom - Berggren (says soderblom plays center
Perron/Fischer

Walman - Seider
Maatta - Ghost
Holl - Chiarot
Lindstrom

Yes, this would leave out Zadina, Perron, Fabbri, and others. I think we should just use Perron sparingly at this point, give the minutes to the players I listed because I actually think this team will be extremely difficult and frustrating to play against. Don't necessarily see them outperforming the Devils/Leafs and others, but I think it gives us a good chance. The meaningful acquisition, if it doesn't happen, would slide everyone on the right up and put Perron or Fabbri on the 3rd line with Kasper and Copp. Gives Kasper two very veteran players to build confidence and work ethic around.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

The age isn't entirely relevant imo. But it largely depends on if you think Compher has a room to grow as a player/point producer, and if you think that happens in Detroit. I don't personally believe that will happen.

When Nielsen signed, I don't think anyone expected him to be an equal or better player 4 or 5 years into that contract. I look at Compher the same way. I think at best, we get the same player he's always been. Whether one is 40 years old, and the other is 30 you largely get the same product. Especially if neither are cornerstone pieces to the rebuild.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

nielsen and weiss were significantly older when they signed. I think the worry with Compher is that last year is just a flat out crazy abnormality and he'll never come close to it again. He wasn't super high on my list, either, but if he can come here and hold down 18+ minutes in the top9, put up around 40 points, and not be an issue defensively...I think he earns his contract. Maybe doesn't exceed it, but he earns it.

And his versatility to shift to wing if/when guys like Kaspar and Danielson come up and, hopefully, become centers for us will help us fill out our top9 without having to chase other players in free agency.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Didn't know that defence was so good.

Preventing goals is as effective as scoring goals.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Didn't know that defence was so good.

Preventing goals is as effective as scoring goals.
Preventing goals is important, but preventing goals is easier than scoring goals. Even if you break through to get a shot on goal the save percentage is 900+. It's probably one of the hardest things to do in any sport.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One thing what was said about Compher, that he had an outlier season with production, thanks to playing with 100p superstar Mikko Rantanen.

This was true. It was his highest scoring season. Compher's GF/60 was high with Rantanen and lot less without him. He played about 50% of the season with Rantanen. Still his most common linemate.

But, and BIG BUT:

Compher's GF% with Rantanen was 56.1% and without Rantanen it was 56.25%.

Same time as that production went down, the defensive game went better. As effective with or without.

Without Rantanen, Compher had scrub linemates like Cogliano and O'Connor.

Think he will be just fine on his prime years at Detroit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
nielsen and weiss were significantly older when they signed. I think the worry with Compher is that last year is just a flat out crazy abnormality and he'll never come close to it again. He wasn't super high on my list, either, but if he can come here and hold down 18+ minutes in the top9, put up around 40 points, and not be an issue defensively...I think he earns his contract. Maybe doesn't exceed it, but he earns it.

And his versatility to shift to wing if/when guys like Kaspar and Danielson come up and, hopefully, become centers for us will help us fill out our top9 without having to chase other players in free agency.

This is worth highlighting. Compher's contract lines up closer with a guy expected to produce 40-50 points a year and play defensive minutes. Not unlike Copp. Any more than 50 points is an absolute bonus and value add.

If he was seen as an actual 60 point guy, well, we all saw what Pierre-Luc Dubious got with his $8.5 x 8 deal. Night and day difference there in contracts. Maybe PLD grows into that one and finally has his PPG season, but damn, I don't get it right now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Detroit signed Compher to be their JG Pageau, not their Barkov.

He’s a very strong 3C that can spot fill 2C. 35-45 points for him in Detroit while playing solid defense is where his value lies.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I imagine those who take issue with this deal are the same who really generally dislike the Copp deal as well. Both of these guys are effective middle 6 C/Ws who play really solid all-around games, bring a great level of effort and are more than inline with their market value rates.

Compher, and Copp as well, have and will continue to draw the hardest assignments this next season and provide a huge amount of relief, support and protection to our young players And boost up their stats while the boards will continue to moan “ohhh - they are just half point production! How terrible”. Except Copp in avg TOI for shothanded was seconded only to Seider at 2:27, higher than all of our other defenseman, and the next forward is Larkin at 1:47. Copp took the hardest assignments for the season and still ended +2 despite being 2nd in TOI for PK and 14th! In ATOI per game being even behind Sunny after he joined. Compher was 3rd behind Toews and Makar in PK ATOI at 2:08. We complain about their poor production except the roles they are asked to play are all about playing hard, energy sapping minutes in tough situations and they do a great job with it and despite not getting plum minutes in the PP, still produce above a PPG level. If you used them with more favorable starts, PP time and less defensively responsibilities, these guys are putting up much stronger numbers.

This is about adding more guys in the Jordan Staal, Ryan Kessler, JG Pageau, mold of players who can play middle six minutes, stabilize a line (ie have a revolving door of line mates and still keep it together or even make them better - a la Ras on Copps wing), be a damn fine PKer, still find a way to get us 40-50 pts, all for doing for the % of the total cap around Helm( 2016 @5% of cap vs JT at 6%).

We are so much better off with these guys holding down the fort for the next four years while we get to situationally shelter our prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad