Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign JT Compher 5 x 5.1 AAV

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think the most charitable thing you can say about the Compher and Copp signings is that the Wings are building a team that will be ready for the high end prospects when they are ready to lead the offense. The depth will already be in place.

Obviously, it's not a guarantee that the prospects will end up high end, but I think that's how you have to look at it. Especially if they start Kasper and Danielson on the wing at first.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He’s Suter’s replacement. Not terribly exciting, but he’s at least better than Suter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
True.

I still don't love the term but it seems like it's about marginal gains right now to hopefully improve and increase the odds of landing a big fish.

Reactions: jaster

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Better playmaker, better offensive player
Copp's 82 average for his career.
1688254299991.png

Compher's 82 average for his career.
1688254335747.png

I'm going to need you to explain that for me. Colorado has been a slightly better offensive team than Winterpeg or the Wings. I've admittedly not paid much attention to either player over the years as there isn't a whole lot to pay attention to. Copp started slow but he got stronger as the year went on. With a full summer and camp, I don't see him behind Compher.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Avs fan coming in peace. Those of you who are disappointed in this contract should be. The only positives are that he can be a bit of a temporary swiss army knife and can be clutch in playoff moments.
Well scratch off one of the 2 positives about this signing

I mean, they needed someone to fill in a middle 6 C spot, Kasper’s not going to do it right away and Veleno sucks. Also gives a much needed RH option. Signing Compher was probably the best option. Unfortunate it’s for 5 years though.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the most charitable thing you can say about the Compher and Copp signings is that the Wings are building a team that will be ready for the high end prospects when they are ready to lead the offense. The depth will already be in place.

Obviously, it's not a guarantee that the prospects will end up high end, but I think that's how you have to look at it. Especially if they start Kasper and Danielson on the wing at first.

This is it. Yzerman isn't signing $5 million dollar guys to lead the team. Sure, right now, they kinda have to. That's the part everyone is freaking out about. But that's not the long-term projection.

You can see there's a great emphasis on strong, two-way play from each of these guys. The offense is going to need to come through the draft or some other fortuitous event. But I think we all figured we wouldn't be fixing the goal scoring in one UFA summer.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is a signing that makes me wonder about Veleno’s future with the team. Compher is kind of plain Jane but he’s a solid 3C. Does he get thrown in a trade somewhere along the way?

I think the line of Copp/Compher - Kasper - Raymond is one we’ll see next year a bit with whoever isn’t the 2W as the 3C. I’d have preferred ROR for 4 years, but them’s the breaks.

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad