Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign JT Compher 5 x 5.1 AAV

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This is it. Yzerman isn't signing $5 million dollar guys to lead the team. Sure, right now, they kinda have to. That's the part everyone is freaking out about. But that's not the long-term projection.

You can see there's a great emphasis on strong, two-way play from each of these guys. The offense is going to need to come through the draft or some other fortuitous event. But I think we all figured we wouldn't be fixing the goal scoring in one UFA summer.
Helps if you draft guys capable of offense. A lot of goals were left on the board...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Copp's 82 average for his career.
View attachment 725103

Compher's 82 average for his career.
View attachment 725105

I'm going to need you to explain that for me. Colorado has been a slightly better offensive team than Winterpeg or the Wings. I've admittedly not paid much attention to either player over the years as there isn't a whole lot to pay attention to. Copp started slow but he got stronger as the year went on. With a full summer and camp, I don't see him behind Compher.
I like the player, I don’t know about the contract. I think he has more offense than Copp, yes. I would slot Compher higher in the lineup than Copp.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
. But I think we all figured we wouldn't be fixing the goal scoring in one UFA summer.

I agree though I think most hoped we would improve it by adding some young skill into the mix and/or someone who could be a core guy..

If we couldnt, trades arent guaranteed of course, we would stick to short 1 or 2 year deals only..

Reactions: SoupNazi

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i don't like these moves either but what would u guys have done this free agency?
Not a lot - Its a rebuilding team why hamper future cap space just to do something, being bad is part of the process

This smells like Yzerman's job is in trouble or is being instructed by ownership to get into the playoffs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not a lot - Its a rebuilding team why hamper future cap space just to do something, being bad is part of the process

This smells like Yzerman's job is in trouble or is being instructed by ownership to get into the playoffs
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the top end free agents generally do not sign with crappy teams.

The Wings can't expect to just keep sucking and then land some huge free agent. They have to look like a place where these free agents (who can sign practically anywhere) would want to play. To look like a team on the rise.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I don't think the offense is as good as what was shown last year, but the defense is great (perhaps even borderline Selke-caliber, given the 11 Selke votes he received last year). Like most free agent deals, it's probably too much money and too much term, but at least he's a useful player.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Valtteri Filppula is the same player and got 5-million back in 2013 by TBL and everyone was fine with it. Fast forward to 2023, people are all up in arms for the same player getting 5.5. He's only 28.

Can't hate depth down the middle. Wings are going to have a better 2024 than last season. Will they make the playoffs? I think they have a chance at a wildcard and getting spanked in round#1.

I doubt FA are lining up to sign in Detroit right now.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Valtteri Filppula is the same player and got 5-million back in 2013 by TBL and everyone was fine with it. Fast forward to 2023, people are all up in arms for the same player getting 5.5. He's only 28.

Can't hate depth down the middle. Wings are going to have a better 2024 than last season. Will they make the playoffs? I think they have a chance at a wildcard and getting spanked in round#1.

I doubt FA are lining up to sign in Detroit right now.
Mediocre ones certainly are...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't mind Compher. He's a good player.

Figure he'll slot in the 3rd line.

Dominik Kubalik – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
David Perron – (A) Andrew Copp – Jonatan Berggren
Michael Rasmussen – J.T. CompherDaniel Sprong
Robby Fabbri – Marco KasperKlim Kostin

Christian Fischer

Filip Zadina

Jake Walman – Mortiz Seider
Shayne Gotisbehere Justin Holl
Ollie Maatta – (A) Ben Chiarot

Gustav Lindstrom

Ville Husso
James Reimer

Is this the projected roster after today? Or do people have other ideas? Not sure Mazur/Johansson/Edvinsson/Kasper make it. In this case I have Kasper squeaking out over Czarnik.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Mediocre ones certainly are...

Do you think #LGRWS are going to be more competitive than last season? I think they are going to be harder to play against and frustrate other teams... and be more abrasive!

At the end of the day, I am ready to see a better product on the ice. Sucks Nate McKinnon or Draisaitl didn't demand a trade here.. but it is what it is.

Tanking is gutless and you are guaranteed nothing.

I don't mind Compher. He's a good player.

Figure he'll slot in the 3rd line.

Is this the projected roster after today? Or do people have other ideas? Not sure Mazur/Johansson make it now. Do Edvinsson and Kasper even make the team, might get bigger roles/time in the AHL.

You forgot Suter.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Do you think #LGRWS are going to be more competitive than last season? It think they are going to be harder to play against, frustrate other teams, and be more abrasive.

At the end of the day, I am ready to see a better product on the ice. Sucks Nate McKinnon or Draisaitl didn't demand a trade here.. but it is what it is.

They might be more competitive than last season, but they won't be as competitive as they could be if they have Edvinsson and Kasper on the roster which by all indications is not in Yzerman's plans.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Do you think #LGRWS are going to be more competitive than last season? I think they are going to be harder to play against and frustrate other teams... and be more abrasive!

You forgot Suter.
I don’t see them being much closer to the playoffs just a little bit worse in draft position.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

You forgot Suter.
What do you mean?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don’t see them being much closer to the playoffs just a little bit worse in draft position.

This is my feeling as well. Maybe we draft 12-14 next year, but that isn't exciting. We will also still have most of the guys signed today next year.

We aren't drafting any guys known for scoring and we don't seem to going hard after that category through trade either.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This is so horrible. It's about time people started questioning Yzerman properly. All this blind 'trust the Yzerplan' is ridiculous. The guy should be judged like any other GM. The draft was disgraceful. The Holl signing was pretty bad, as was Copp and Chiarot last year. But this! Give that deal to Ryan O'Reilly, and I'd probably take it on the chin, but Compher!!! The guy is so average. What THE HELL is this Michigan connection BS. If this was really a thing, why the hell didn't they draft a 2nd round DeBrincat and a million other Michigan players down through the years. I'm utterly depressed by this, and particularly the realisation that I don't respect Yzerman's judgment anymore, not one bit.
We should maybe wait until the end of December or early January before readying the pitchforks and torches.

Reactions: lomekian and newfy

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
2 awful signings. People who wanted to spend probably actually thought in their pee brains we were gonna do something nuts and over the hill big names like Senko or Kane. Lol congrats we get a couple of mutts in compher and holl. Better hope that cap goes up or we are truly jobbed. Didnt mind copp but him and jt lol come on man. Trust stevie in the draft but these are weird signings.
Gotta look who’s gone (or likely sitting in the pressbox) and who’s coming in.

I honestly feel we’re a better team at this point than last year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I actually like the player but I absolutely do not understand why we targeted and signed him at this point. I don't think this will hurt us in the long run, but I also don't think it materially improves our team and isn't what we need right now unless we somehow become active in the trade market. Oddly, I could see him being moved to a more competitive team in the next two years if we aren't showing improvement (something I almost never say about newly-signed UFAs on multi-year deals). Anyways, the signing doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad