Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign JT Compher 5 x 5.1 AAV

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp took the hardest assignments for the season and still ended +2 despite being 2nd in TOI for PK and 14th! In ATOI per game being even behind Sunny after he joined. Compher was 3rd behind Toews and Makar in PK ATOI at 2:08.

You know PK doesn't count towards +/- stats?

If you want penalty killers, guys like LGD come at a much lower price. For the extra $4M that Copp is getting over guys like LGD or Nosek, I want to see more than 9 goal.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
You know PK doesn't count towards +/- stats?

If you want penalty killers, guys like LGD come at a much lower price. For the extra $4M that Copp is getting over guys like LGD or Nosek, I want to see more than 9 goal.

Yes, I know special teams do not count towards plus minus. Two separate points around his usage, not to be confused with each other

A perfectly fair criticism. I would counter with two points:

Copp loss the off-season to injury which contributed to a slow start, and probably impacted some pretty important time to develop a rapport with his new teammates - I don’t expect him to have the shame issues this year.

Similiarly, because he is taking a lions share of PK (along with Larkin last year) but not receiving a proportional amount of time on the PP (3:28 vs 1:42 respectively), that does adversely impact his offensive output. Depending how the PP shakes up this next season, given better health and more depth in talent, we could see better balance between the two PP units and Copp getting more time centering the second unit along with maybe a Perron, Fabbri, Sprong, Walman.

So I agree, I would expect and I’m generally counting on him to be north of 15g next season.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GudasPriest

Jul 29, 2022
From the athletic...

Which free-agent departure will the Avalanche miss most?​

J.T. Compher, who left for Detroit, was the unanimous answer.

“He did everything for them,” Scout 1 said. “He’s a really good, complete hockey player. I’m sure there was some critiquing that he played too high a role or too high a level, but he had a really good year. … I think they’ll miss him.”

Scout 2 brought up Compher’s defensive ability and increase in his offensive numbers in 2022-23. Those types of players are hard to find, the scout said, and that’s why the Red Wings gave him more than $5 million a year.

“J.T. Compher is an outstanding player,” Scout 3 said. “I don’t think he gets nearly enough recognition for what he does every night. He can play across the entire lineup. He plays all three forward positions. He can be a secondary (power-play) guy. He’s a great penalty killer, he’s good in the faceoff circle, he’s got great compete. That’s going to be a significant loss for the Avs.”

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Similiarly, because he is taking a lions share of PK (along with Larkin last year) but not receiving a proportional amount of time on the PP (3:28 vs 1:42 respectively), that does adversely impact his offensive output. Depending how the PP shakes up this next season, given better health and more depth in talent, we could see better balance between the two PP units and Copp getting more time centering the second unit along with maybe a Perron, Fabbri, Sprong, Walman.

That is not at all how it works. Players don't get PP because they PK. You wouldn't want Helm and LGD on your power play. Why Copp?

Chances are, with a better first unit which includes Cat and Ghost, they may get an even more disproportionate amount of time vs the second unit. That is how it works on most teams.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I would say that almost each and every big SY signing and draft choice this and past summer was really strange for me at the first sight. Danielsson, Pelikka, Copp, Perron, Compher, etc. But then when I get a closer look they appear quite logical having tons of hidden benefits.

We'll, SY always makes me feeling like I have no clue what hockey is all about and how to structure a team. This is a good sign actually.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I imagine those who take issue with this deal are the same who really generally dislike the Copp deal as well. Both of these guys are effective middle 6 C/Ws who play really solid all-around games, bring a great level of effort and are more than inline with their market value rates.

Compher, and Copp as well, have and will continue to draw the hardest assignments this next season and provide a huge amount of relief, support and protection to our young players And boost up their stats while the boards will continue to moan “ohhh - they are just half point production! How terrible”. Except Copp in avg TOI for shothanded was seconded only to Seider at 2:27, higher than all of our other defenseman, and the next forward is Larkin at 1:47. Copp took the hardest assignments for the season and still ended +2 despite being 2nd in TOI for PK and 14th! In ATOI per game being even behind Sunny after he joined. Compher was 3rd behind Toews and Makar in PK ATOI at 2:08. We complain about their poor production except the roles they are asked to play are all about playing hard, energy sapping minutes in tough situations and they do a great job with it and despite not getting plum minutes in the PP, still produce above a PPG level. If you used them with more favorable starts, PP time and less defensively responsibilities, these guys are putting up much stronger numbers.

This is about adding more guys in the Jordan Staal, Ryan Kessler, JG Pageau, mold of players who can play middle six minutes, stabilize a line (ie have a revolving door of line mates and still keep it together or even make them better - a la Ras on Copps wing), be a damn fine PKer, still find a way to get us 40-50 pts, all for doing for the % of the total cap around Helm( 2016 @5% of cap vs JT at 6%).

We are so much better off with these guys holding down the fort for the next four years while we get to situationally shelter our prospects.
Great post. Nice to read something like this.

Isn't it funny that both Copp and Compher are from same draft as Mantha and Bertuzzi?

So in few years, Yzerman has changed 1-dimensional winger and another injury prone winger in two defensive middle6 centers.

Quite sure, in a package, no one would take those former Red Wings before Copp & Compher. Even the contract values are quite same.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also best producer at pre-season. 5 points in 4 games.

Think Colorado got a big downgrade on signing Ryan Johansen and not Compher. 1M difference in salary, bigger difference on-ice.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So far he has exceeded expectations. 1 goal 2 assists, 51% on draws, no turnovers, 3 blocks, a takeaway, and getting 20min a game. Refreshing after waiting half a season for Copp to get going.

He's been realgud so far. Our second line has looked like a legit second line with him on it.

Third line with Rasmussen - Copp - Perron has been doodoo, though...

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't know about a while, but games 1 and 2 of the season? Definitely. Copp has been pretty invisible save for a couple decent defensive plays.
Perron is not the type of player that should be leading a team in PIM. He's defensively lazy because he can't skate and tries to use stickwork to make up for it.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Being a righty and usually excellent at the faceoff dot has been a huge boon to the Wings thus far. He appears to have good chemistry with Ras as well.

On an aside, Perron should be on the 4th line. He cannot matchup against top line anymore as he is just too slow.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Interestingly enough, he actually brings a calmness to his line. He looks like he is thinking things through and a couple steps ahead before he passses or makes a move when he has time/space. When he gets up close and personal with someone, I haven't seen him make the worst decision (not always the best, but the good decisions are what matters).

Loved the signing when we got him and wanted him before that. I harp on FO% a lot for centers because when you have possession, you can't get scored on (the epitome of the wings system for 15+ years). He's at 56% in FO% and his offensive zone starts in all situations is only 24% (larkin is 55+, copp is 28), so lalonde obviously trusts him in those situations and his defensive skill.

Was kinda worried because we don't have rantanen type players for him to get his points from but he does have 4 in 3 games so far!

Reactions: DamonDRW

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This dude has been legit. Thought he'd be another Copp/Nielsen type signing but he's so solid. Has some, hands, protects the puck well, and has the vision to make the right plays and make shit happen.

It was funny to read from Avs fans, how they are not currently happy for Ryan Johansen. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad