Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign JT Compher 5 x 5.1 AAV

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This is a signing that makes me wonder about Veleno’s future with the team. Compher is kind of plain Jane but he’s a solid 3C. Does he get thrown in a trade somewhere along the way?

I think the line of Copp/Compher - Kasper - Raymond is one we’ll see next year a bit with whoever isn’t the 2W as the 3C. I’d have preferred ROR for 4 years, but them’s the breaks.
Agreed…Guys like Zadina and Veleno will likely be spending more time in the pressbox this upcoming season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Here's the analytics on this one. Doesn't look so bad to me.

Fz-z4j9WIAA16ef.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lol. So Stevie's thing is gonna be overpaying 3Cs from U of M. I do think he's got a better chance of looking like a 2C than Copp, so I'll give him that much.

I wanted 20 Larkins, I guess I get 20 Drapers, lol. This team is just freakin hilarious. Draft Drapers (figure of speech and also literally), sign Drapers. 4 Grind Lines, collect every Michigan player possible.

If Stevie can at least sign a decent goalie, this team would have a chance at looking like Nashville, but a defensive oriented team with an average goalie isn't going far.

Agreed…Guys like Zadina and Veleno will likely be spending more time in the pressbox this upcoming season.
As they deserve. Zadina is gonna get bought out, he's more useless than Yamamoto, his $2.7M salary isn't worth it the following year.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Everyone wanted depth vs high end trades/players.

Most got what they deserved.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lol. So Stevie's thing is gonna be overpaying 3Cs from U of M. I do think he's got a better chance of looking like a 2C than Copp, so I'll give him that much.

I wanted 20 Larkins, I guess I get 20 Drapers, lol. This team is just freakin hilarious. Draft Drapers (figure of speech and also literally), sign Drapers. 4 Grind Lines, collect every Michigan player possible.

If Stevie can at least sign a decent goalie, this team would have a chance at looking like Nashville, but a defensive oriented team with an average goalie isn't going far.

As they deserve. Zadina is gonna get bought out, he's more useless than Yamamoto, his $2.7M salary isn't worth it the following year.
If Zadina was going to be bought out they would've done it during the buyout window. That is now over and he can't be bought out right now.

Zadina can be bought out next offseason for very little, if he's bought out it will be after this season.

Also, Jesus man, enough strawmans? It's sad.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Zadina was going to be bought out they would've done it during the buyout window. That is now over and he can't be bought out right now.

Zadina can be bought out next offseason for very little, if he's bought out it will be after this season.

Also, Jesus man, enough strawmans? It's sad.
I meant after next season. In terms of ACTUAL salary, he's cheap until the last year of his contract. He's not worth $2.7M, and that is why I'm saying he gets bought out. PLease look at his contract before any further discussion.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
What are we thinking for lines? I expect a healthier Copp, and if Kasper takes another step; he absolutely has the game fit to play 4C. While Larkin, Compher, Copp, Kasper isn’t elite, it’s the best the Wings Center depth will have looked in a LONG time.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I meant after next season. In terms of ACTUAL salary, he's cheap until the last year of his contract. He's not worth $2.7M, and that is why I'm saying he gets bought out. PLease look at his contract before any further discussion.
That figure only matters to the owner or a team trading for him. He will get 2/3s of that 2.7 million if he's bought out. The reason you don't buy him out is so you limit the years of cap penalty, although it is a very low figure against the cap, but 1 year of negative cap is better than 3.

What are we thinking for lines? I expect a healthier Copp, and if Kasper takes another step; he absolutely has the game fit to play 4C. While Larkin, Compher, Copp, Kasper isn’t elite, it’s the best the Wings Center depth will have looked in a LONG time.
I say if Kasper can't bust into the top 6 you let him play a huge role in GR for a year.

But right now I like the idea of Kasper coming in on the second line with Rasmussen and Copp and having Compher center the third line.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I thought this guy could PK? According to that J Fresh card, he totally sucks at it.

This one is a head sctracher. All the other FA deals i can kind of live with. This one sucks, with it being 5 years. If this guy comes in and is basically another Copp, we have a big problem now.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This board is so negative. It's 5 years, by the time we are good it's gonna have 2 to 3 years left and with inflation on the salary cap he's going to be making the equivalent of 4ish? Maybe less. Give it a chance before you go cry about the money that isn't yours, that Steve spent. Guaranteed one thing we are better today, prospect pool is deeper than it was last week.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Ras is a 50%+ FO guy. He'll be the 4C if healthy. Larkin/Compher/Copp with Kasper on Copp's wing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That figure only matters to the owner or a team trading for him. He will get 2/3s of that 2.7 million if he's bought out. The reason you don't buy him out is so you limit the years of cap penalty, although it is a very low figure against the cap, but 1 year of negative cap is better than 3.
1/3 because he was under the age limit when he signed the contract. Like I said look at his contract before arguing, geez.

• Haha
Reactions: Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
1/3 because he was under the age limit when he signed the contract. Like I said look at his contract before arguing, geez.
I looked at the contract, geez.

I stand by what I said, you wait to buy him out due to years of cap penalty, not number in Chris Illitch's checkbook.

Ras is a 50%+ FO guy. He'll be the 4C if healthy. Larkin/Compher/Copp with Kasper on Copp's wing.
Ras is not playing 4C when he just played the best of his hockey career on the 2nd line wing before getting hurt.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I looked at the contract, geez.

I stand by what I said, you wait to buy him out due to years of cap penalty, not number in Chris Illitch's checkbook.
REally? This is what his buyout looks like next year:

Are you ACTUALLY GONNA LOOK THIS TIME?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
REally? This is what his buyout looks like next year:

Are you ACTUALLY GONNA LOOK THIS TIME?
Holy shit dude I looked. If we bought him out this year it was 3 years of cap penalty and 1 year of relief, if we buy him out next year it's 1 year of relief and 1 year of penalty. I think it is you that is misunderstanding things.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
This board is so negative. It's 5 years, by the time we are good it's gonna have 2 to 3 years left and with inflation on the salary cap he's going to be making the equivalent of 4ish? Maybe less. Give it a chance before you go cry about the money that isn't yours, that Steve spent. Guaranteed one thing we are better today, prospect pool is deeper than it was last week.
This is my hope...highest paid player is still only larkin... gotta lock up of bridge MS and LR.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, if he does't improve at next season, could totally see the buyout.

Yzerman just moves on, and will sign other UFAs just like past 2 free agenzies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Holy shit dude I looked. If we bought him out this year it was 3 years of cap penalty and 1 year of relief, if we buy him out next year it's 1 year of relief and 1 year of penalty. I think it is you that is misunderstanding things.
Nobody ever said this year, his contract is structured so it makes more sense next year. That is what I said all along. Half mil of penalty to save $1.8M of REAL money is a no brainer.

Would you rather see Elmer/Mazur/Kasper play in 24/25 or Zadina?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad