Red Wings at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If you were to add up the better assets and picks you would have the following:
1st, 2nd round picks. Brendan smith. T Jurco, T. Pulkinnen...How are those pieces a pile of crap?

Those pieces are a pile of crap when you talk about getting a player like Justin Faulk or Erik Johnson.

If you want to keep Carolina on the phone about Justin Faulk you need to start with Dylan Larkin/Anthony Mantha and Danny DeKeyser at least. I feel lot of other teams could offer a better package, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
We wont be sellers thats for sure.

Z/D/Franzen/Kronwall are the types we would be selling. 3 of them are franchise players and will be Wings for life. Franzens recapture would have horrendous implications down the line, though just MAYBE the Management think thats a risk worth taking given it might give us a better chance to win now with a different team makeup and hope that in the future its post Datsyuk and with a decent uplift in Salary Cap.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
It's a shame people don't carefully read posts more before throwing down attitude. Please re-read the post.

If you were to add up the better assets and picks you would have the following:
1st, 2nd round picks. Brendan smith. T Jurco, T. Pulkinnen...How are those pieces a pile of crap?

I'm not saying I would give up all those pieces at once, but if a gm had a choice of adding up a bunch or the majority of those pieces is he just going to say its combined junk? Those teams may very we'll decide they don't want to trade those players, you can't call those pieces just listed in this post junk.

Carolina would be smart to hold onto a good young damn like Faulk, but of they by a combo of those pieces above feel they could improve their team in the long run(they are not contending anytime soon IMO) then they should consider it. I don't see holland taking the risk to obtain either guy this season. I do understand with the year Johnson is having he would cost lots.

picks get you a prospect in return with a very hypothetical ceiling, no guarantee of getting a star player
Brendan Smith is 25, struggling and has Faulk has topped Smith's career high of 19 points in a full season in both full seasons he played so far (plus 15 pts in the lockout season) and has 24 points in 43 games this season already. (considering both players are labelled as offensive D, thats pretty onesided)

Jurco has some value, but still is not a high-value asset that would land us Faulk in a package deal.

Pulkkinen is an AHL player who has not made the NHL full-time and is older than Faulk. He has some value, but again a young D like Faulk who posts good numbers on a rebuilding team and is an All-Star at 22 is worth way more than that.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What about trading with Calgary for Dennis Wideman? There are worse ideas out there especially if Calgary fall out of the play-off race. I imagine we will go with Petry or Wideman if we do decide to stick out a trade. Value propositions vs overpriced other guys.

I'd be ok with Wideman. He did alright for me on my fantasy team this year. :laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Very interesting.

I still think the Wings are 1 top4 PMD from actual contendership. Don't even think it has to be a RHD, just a PMD who doesn't **** the bed when he needs to make an outlet pass with some pressure. Someone who can spring our speedy forwards and catch teams on transition. Someone who can drop Ericsson down to a pairing more suitable to his ability.

So close, yet so far.

Very excited for playoffs though. Maybe they surprise me.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Very interesting.

I still think the Wings are 1 top4 PMD from actual contendership. Don't even think it has to be a RHD, just a PMD who doesn't **** the bed when he needs to make an outlet pass with some pressure. Someone who can spring our speedy forwards and catch teams on transition. Someone who can drop Ericsson down to a pairing more suitable to his ability.

So close, yet so far.

Very excited for playoffs though. Maybe they surprise me.

Yandle comes to mind. Would make an interesting pairing with Kronwall (maybe).

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Can Pookie play defense? He could be our deadline acquisition. God I would ****ing love to have a second defenseman who can actually threaten with a dangerous shot.

Z-D-G
kids
Franzen-Weiss-Helm
Glen-Miller-Jurco

Kronwall-Smith
Pookie-DD
Quincey/E-Ouellet
E/Q

Am I missing anyone?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yandle comes to mind. Would make an interesting pairing with Kronwall (maybe).

Both guys only play on the left side, it is a pairing that would never happen.

I guess you could ask two vets that in stints have looked awful on the right to play on that side, honestly Kronwall is better at the right-side than Yandle is and it is a steep downgrade in what you get out of each guy when they line up on their offside.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Was anyone else impressed with Myers in the game a couple days ago? He's better defensively than I thought he was. I think he's better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

Has anyone heard the latest on his asking price? I'd probably be okay with giving up Jurco, Sproul, and a 1st for him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Was anyone else impressed with Myers in the game a couple days ago? He's better defensively than I thought he was. I think he's better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

Has anyone heard the latest on his asking price? I'd probably be okay with giving up Jurco, Sproul, and a 1st for him.

The asking price, based on a recent article I read, is probably astronomical. Their GM said he's not calling around to trade him. At best he said that he entertains offers and invites other GMs to knock his socks off with an offer he can't refuse. They're not looking to trade him.

And no, I wasn't really impressed. But again, it's hard for me to separate his play from the rest of the team. If you're the only decent player out there on a team full of suck, it's going to make you look worse too.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...o-another-team-on-tyler-myers-says-sabres-gm/

“I’ve had some calls, and I think it’s kind of a domino effect where one or two teams see in other press, not Buffalo press, and called asking if it was true.

“I have not tried to trade this guy.â€

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Can Pookie play defense? He could be our deadline acquisition. God I would ****ing love to have a second defenseman who can actually threaten with a dangerous shot.

Z-D-G
kids
Franzen-Weiss-Helm
Glen-Miller-Jurco

Kronwall-Smith
Pookie-DD
Quincey/E-Ouellet
E/Q

Am I missing anyone?

Sproul sure has a great shot, too bad hes not a bit better defensively and further along with his development....

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think Kenny picks up Yandle.

Despite his defense, his puck skills and offensive talents are elite. He'd be awesome on our 2nd pairings.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think Kenny picks up Yandle.

Despite his defense, his puck skills and offensive talents are elite. He'd be awesome on our 2nd pairings.

I can totally see the yotes moving him. What would the price be?

They'll ask for a top prospect or two and a 1st or 2nd round pick and a young top 3 line roster player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
IF we could actually land free agents I think it would be ideal to just wait until next summer and try to sign one of Green, Franson, Boychuk, or even Petry. Keeping all our picks and prospects intact.

But I'll hold my breath.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Thank God we changed conferences. We would not survive against the west with our 8-2-1 record against the west. :sarcasm:

Would be singing a different tune with much increased amount of travel. Plus the Central is pretty nuts. Imagine being in that division. No thank you.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
IF we could actually land free agents I think it would be ideal to just wait until next summer and try to sign one of Green, Franson, Boychuk, or even Petry. Keeping all our picks and prospects intact.

But I'll hold my breath.

With Holland's apparent disinterest with shedding our deadweight (especially if we drafted the player - God forbid we bring in an outsider at the price of a homegrown guy) this could make our cap + roster structure really weird.

I mean, I also think that is a wise avenue to explore due to not losing any of our team's assets while still gaining a player, but I don't think it will work with guys like Kindl, Smith, etc. still being on the team with Ouellet, Jensen, Marchenko, and Sproul all needing roster spots in the immediate/ not so distant future.

Can you tell I'm tired of Holland's inability to make hard roster decisions yet? :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With Holland's apparent disinterest with shedding our deadweight (especially if we drafted the player - God forbid we bring in an outsider at the price of a homegrown guy) this could make our cap + roster structure really weird.

I mean, I also think that is a wise avenue to explore due to not losing any of our team's assets while still gaining a player, but I don't think it will work with guys like Kindl, Smith, etc. still being on the team with Ouellet, Jensen, Marchenko, and Sproul all needing roster spots in the immediate/ not so distant future.

Can you tell I'm tired of Holland's inability to make hard roster decisions yet? :laugh:

My take from browsing the threads is just that...

The players that would actually make a worthwhile trade happen make everyone ********, and the trades that involve moving dead weight aren't enough to entice another GM to do anything (dumping scraps)

I mean we are going to have a log jam at both forward and defense whether we add 1 player or not, and I am willing to leave 1 less spot for a kid if we add a legitimate estabilished player on the blue line.

Last edited by a moderator:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

But I'll hold my breath.

You mean you won't hold your breath, right? Cause I'm pretty sure you're going to die long before we add big pieces to the puzzle via free agency. ;)

From my vantage point, Green has little reason not to re-sign with Washington. They're looking as playoff-built as ever and Green may be thinking its a risky time to jump ship. The Isles will surely do almost everything in their power, including overpaying, to keep Boychuk given what he and Leddy have done for them. Franson is notoriously tough in contract negotiations and with his stats will demand a massive contract, the likes of which could land him in Redden territory. Zidlicky has every reason to take a pay-cut for a last-ditch shot at a cup.

That leaves Petry. A righty....with little offensive talent and the worst of the bunch in that respect. I'd be happy to have him, but he's nothing more than a right-handed version of Quincey. That isn't going to solve our fundamental puck-moving woes on the back-end.

The one benefit to adding a rental via free agency (Franson, Zidlicky being the available offensive talents) is that history suggests becoming a part of the Red Wings organization, even for a short time, makes people want to say. I can't think of too many cases where a guy came to Detroit and didn't want to say. If they leave, its usually because they're secondary players who want big paychecks, and I don't think giving a player a fair deal is something Holland will resist doing if he's already paid a pretty penny for a player so desperately needed.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You mean you won't hold your breath, right? Cause I'm pretty sure you're going to die long before we add big pieces to the puzzle via free agency. ;)

From my vantage point, Green has little reason not to re-sign with Washington. They're looking as playoff-built as ever and Green may be thinking its a risky time to jump ship. The Isles will surely do almost everything in their power, including overpaying, to keep Boychuk given what he and Leddy have done for them. Franson is notoriously tough in contract negotiations and with his stats will demand a massive contract, the likes of which could land him in Redden territory. Zidlicky has every reason to take a pay-cut for a last-ditch shot at a cup.

That leaves Petry. A righty....with little offensive talent and the worst of the bunch in that respect. I'd be happy to have him, but he's nothing more than a right-handed version of Quincey. That isn't going to solve our fundamental puck-moving woes on the back-end.

The one benefit to adding a rental via free agency (Franson, Zidlicky being the available offensive talents) is that history suggests becoming a part of the Red Wings organization, even for a short time, makes people want to say. I can't think of too many cases where a guy came to Detroit and didn't want to say. If they leave, its usually because they're secondary players who want big paychecks, and I don't think giving a player a fair deal is something Holland will resist doing if he's already paid a pretty penny for a player so desperately needed.

There have been plenty of examples of players like Green leaving contending teams for somewhere else. Green wants money, yes, but he also wants playing time. He's not going to re-sign with Washington if he's a second-pairing player (or worse). He'd have a larger role in Detroit, for example.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Same ****, different smell. If you're going to put guys like Jurco and Sproul on the untouchable list for a non-rental, then Babcock's bags are packed. Holland has bought high on guys that Babcock ends up using as 4th liners (Weiss, Legwand) and then perpetually fails to address our key needs. If this is Holland's attitude, then he's just spinning his wheels.

I've been of the opinion for a while now that Babcock staying is going to be contingent on what Holland does to address Babcock's concerns. IMO, its evident that Babcock has a vision and has gotten a taste for having an architectural input from the past few Olympics. We also know how (dare I say it) egocentric Babcock can be. He takes a hard stance with his philosophy, part of which is that having a complete LD-RD set-up is what makes the (hockey) world turn. Thus, if Holland wants to hold tight to his plethora of young wingers and defenseman at the expense of addressing our (Babcock's) needs, then say goodbye to Babcock. He'll move on to a team with a brass that either heeds his advice or shares his philosophy.

IMO, either Holland needs to make a big splash to show Babcock (and the hockey world) that he still knows how to add big talent (Yandle being the most plausible) or make multiple moves to address his lack of right-handed options. Nab 2 of Zidlicky, Franson, and Petry. Send Smith the other way in one of those deals. Give up some of the glut we have in defense prospects. Put your 2016 1st rounder confidently on the table as if to say "it will be a really late pick anyways." If slashing payroll is needed, then eat a small percentage of Kindl's salary and package him with a late pick or C prospect to entice buyers. Get creative. Get proactive. Otherwise you're going to find yourself without any roster upgrades and without a marquee head coach to boot.

As an aside, I don't understand why everyone and their brother lambasts St. James for towing the party line but don't call Khan out for it. I feel like at least half the DRW posters on this board could write for the Red Wings organization. There is zero personal insight involved and no arguments to be made - simply parrot what comes from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad