Red Wings at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
There have been plenty of examples of players like Green leaving contending teams for somewhere else. Green wants money, yes, but he also wants playing time. He's not going to re-sign with Washington if he's a second-pairing player (or worse). He'd have a larger role in Detroit, for example.

And yet there are more examples of veteran players sticking with their teams when those teams have finally gotten over the hump. A great playoff run can whet that whistle even more. As Washington progresses, the likelihood that Green sticks in Washington increases.

I will say this though: While I had heard that he had been demoted on the pairings, I didn't realize how little he was playing. He's averaged just about 17 minutes over his past 5 games. That's 5th defenseman ice time. :amazed:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As Washington progresses, the likelihood that Green sticks in Washington increases.

They'll keep him as a playoff asset. The same way the Wings kept Hudler and Filppula, even though it seemed destined both were going to test free agency.

Would be singing a different tune with much increased amount of travel. Plus the Central is pretty nuts. Imagine being in that division. No thank you.

Iron sharpens iron. Being in an arms race division tends to make everybody better, even if record doesn't always reflect that.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Same ****, different smell. If you're going to put guys like Jurco and Sproul on the untouchable list for a non-rental, then Babcock's bags are packed. Holland has bought high on guys that Babcock ends up using as 4th liners (Weiss, Legwand) and then perpetually fails to address our key needs. If this is Holland's attitude, then he's just spinning his wheels.

I've been of the opinion for a while now that Babcock staying is going to be contingent on what Holland does to address Babcock's concerns. IMO, its evident that Babcock has a vision and has gotten a taste for having an architectural input from the past few Olympics. We also know how (dare I say it) egocentric Babcock can be. He takes a hard stance with his philosophy, part of which is that having a complete LD-RD set-up is what makes the (hockey) world turn. Thus, if Holland wants to hold tight to his plethora of young wingers and defenseman at the expense of addressing our (Babcock's) needs, then say goodbye to Babcock. He'll move on to a team with a brass that either heeds his advice or shares his philosophy.

IMO, either Holland needs to make a big splash to show Babcock (and the hockey world) that he still knows how to add big talent (Yandle being the most plausible) or make multiple moves to address his lack of right-handed options. Nab 2 of Zidlicky, Franson, and Petry. Send Smith the other way in one of those deals. Give up some of the glut we have in defense prospects. Put your 2016 1st rounder confidently on the table as if to say "it will be a really late pick anyways." If slashing payroll is needed, then eat a small percentage of Kindl's salary and package him with a late pick or C prospect to entice buyers. Get creative. Get proactive. Otherwise you're going to find yourself without any roster upgrades and without a marquee head coach to boot.

As an aside, I don't understand why everyone and their brother lambasts St. James for towing the party line but don't call Khan out for it. I feel like at least half the DRW posters on this board could write for the Red Wings organization. There is zero personal insight involved and no arguments to be made - simply parrot what comes from the top.

Nicely said.

I still don't see Holland being proactive, though.

However, I hope he does.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Green is not coming to detroit

Washington is as good of a team as we're with as bright of a future

Green will be the highest paid dman this July 1st with a hell of a lot better track record than Niskanen to back up his demands.

Think 7 years and 6.5-7 million on the open market

You do not build a franchise through free agency and you most certainly do not put your franchises future success pinned to a spin of a lottery wheel

Solve the problem via trade or through the draft

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland's track record of late is trades for Kyle Quincey and David Legwand. So with that being the case I think we can expect him to target Jason Demers. Plays for Dallas and they are out of the playoff picture and Nill would be a good trade partner for Holland. He had one 30+ point season so Holland can claim he acquired an offensive d-man which is what he did when he acquired Kyle Quincey.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Do not want a big trade tbh. I don't think this team is one piece from a cup, even if they go far I do not think they will top the West. I would rather stick with what we have, have a successful season and bring the young guys back next year for a better season.

Of course this can change in the next couple months but as the team stands now, I don't see a cup.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Aside from Kindl, Lashoff, Andersson, and Cleary I can't see the Wings parting with any roster players in a deadline trade. They won't fill one hole and create another...and we all know how obsessed Holland is with having depth...They aren't gonna ship out Tatar and just hope Pulky or Mantha can fill his role immediately. Just not how the Wings do things. If they go for a guy like Petry it'll be for draft pick(s) (not a 1st) and/or mid level prospect(s).

Personally I'd be fine just rolling with this team into the playoffs....lets see what they are made of. Most trade deadline deals end up backfiring anyway, just let the chips fall where they may. This teams future is almost becoming brighter than its present imo, I'd like to stay the course and hang onto our key assets. I love Pav and Z but they just aren't the same players they were. Even though their stats are still great, the eyeball test says their level of play has dropped off. Not that it's unexpected for two guys in their mid 30's but I just worry they won't be physically able to really go through the full grind of the cup playoffs anymore.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
hoping for nothing at this point

wouldn't mind Green if the price was reasonable but now it's looking like Washington will be in or near a Playoff spot at the deadline so that's not happening

I feel like Zidlicky would cost a decent amount and don't feel like the Wings are in a position where they should be making trades for 38 year olds

i'd rather play Ouellet than trade for someone like Petry

McDeathbyCheerios*

Would you guys be willing to trade a 2nd and a 4th for Petry? It's a little low for him but the Oilers will move him and get fleeced, might as well be the team that he probably wants to play for to do it

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Would you guys be willing to trade a 2nd and a 4th for Petry? It's a little low for him but the Oilers will move him and get fleeced, might as well be the team that he probably wants to play for to do it

i would prefer to change one of those picks for prospect. not ideal to not have any picks from rounds 2-4 and there is some really nice talent available there in this draft.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
i would prefer to change one of those picks for prospect. not ideal to not have any picks from rounds 2-4 and there is some really nice talent available there in this draft.

Petry doesn't really address the need for an offensive d-man but I can see him in Detroit as soon as next season. A DeKeyser-Petry pairing for our second group of d-men would be really nice. At 24 DeKeyser still has some potential as a point generator. Between the two of them they might be able to put up 50-60 points and provide a solid L-R pairing we haven't had since Lidstrom and Rafalski.

I'd be seriously considering trading Smith for whatever you can get, maybe send him to Edmonton if you felt confident you could sign Petry to an extension. In that scenario here are your bottom 4 on defense.

DeKeyser-Petry
Ouellet-Sproul or Marchenko

I personally go with Sproul because we need a PP QB on that second unit and Sproul makes the most sense.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Petry addresses the need of improved blueline. He's not the offensive dynamo that you long for, but he'd make us a deeper and better unit.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Petry doesn't really address the need for an offensive d-man but I can see him in Detroit as soon as next season. A DeKeyser-Petry pairing for our second group of d-men would be really nice. At 24 DeKeyser still has some potential as a point generator. Between the two of them they might be able to put up 50-60 points and provide a solid L-R pairing we haven't had since Lidstrom and Rafalski.

I'd be seriously considering trading Smith for whatever you can get, maybe send him to Edmonton if you felt confident you could sign Petry to an extension. In that scenario here are your bottom 4 on defense.

DeKeyser-Petry

I personally go with Sproul because we need a PP QB on that second unit and Sproul makes the most sense.

You are forgetting KFQ.

Actual Thought*

Same ****, different smell. If you're going to put guys like Jurco and Sproul on the untouchable list for a non-rental, then Babcock's bags are packed. Holland has bought high on guys that Babcock ends up using as 4th liners (Weiss, Legwand) and then perpetually fails to address our key needs. If this is Holland's attitude, then he's just spinning his wheels.

I've been of the opinion for a while now that Babcock staying is going to be contingent on what Holland does to address Babcock's concerns. IMO, its evident that Babcock has a vision and has gotten a taste for having an architectural input from the past few Olympics. We also know how (dare I say it) egocentric Babcock can be. He takes a hard stance with his philosophy, part of which is that having a complete LD-RD set-up is what makes the (hockey) world turn. Thus, if Holland wants to hold tight to his plethora of young wingers and defenseman at the expense of addressing our (Babcock's) needs, then say goodbye to Babcock. He'll move on to a team with a brass that either heeds his advice or shares his philosophy.

IMO, either Holland needs to make a big splash to show Babcock (and the hockey world) that he still knows how to add big talent (Yandle being the most plausible) or make multiple moves to address his lack of right-handed options. Nab 2 of Zidlicky, Franson, and Petry. Send Smith the other way in one of those deals. Give up some of the glut we have in defense prospects. Put your 2016 1st rounder confidently on the table as if to say "it will be a really late pick anyways." If slashing payroll is needed, then eat a small percentage of Kindl's salary and package him with a late pick or C prospect to entice buyers. Get creative. Get proactive. Otherwise you're going to find yourself without any roster upgrades and without a marquee head coach to boot.

As an aside, I don't understand why everyone and their brother lambasts St. James for towing the party line but don't call Khan out for it. I feel like at least half the DRW posters on this board could write for the Red Wings organization. There is zero personal insight involved and no arguments to be made - simply parrot what comes from the top.

Maybe they just watch the team and notice how it is infinitely better than it has been the last few years? I think you are vastly underestimating what Holland has achieved thus far. He doesn't need a seismic change. He simply needs to stay the course.

Actual Thought*

DeKeyser-Petry

Are you absolutely positive that we need a PP QB on the second unit? When you look at our PP what do you see?

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Honestly, and I might be in the minority here. But I would like to see us try to deal Bogosian out of Winnipeg. Granted this is a huge pipedream but what would you guys think of...?

Bogosian for Jurco, Sproul and Jonathan Ericsson.

Ericsson would be added for cap reasons. And considering the potential bottleneck of prospects in the coming years, I think we can afford to move Sproul out for someone a few years older with more NHL experience. Especially considering Ouellet is slowly making the jump and we still have Marchenko and Jensen. And with Jurco it's the same thing. We dont want to move Nyquist, Larkin or Mantha and to be honest, I would put Tatar on that "untouchable" list too, we would be stupid to move him. Pulkkinen is the other "prospect" I would offer up but with the right handed shot I would move Jurco first. So they get someone who can play now (Ericsson), Jurco who can slide into their foward lineup right now and still hasn't reached his potential yet and Sproul who can help them in the future. And as much as Byfuglien would be good for us, he's been too fantastic for them to be moved. And I've heard that they had alot of good defensmen and could be open to moving one of them.

Again, huge pipedream because I doubt Holland would do it, But our defense could look like this.

Kronwall - Bogosian
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Ouellet

Extra: Kindl/Lashoff

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Honestly, and I might be in the minority here. But I would like to see us try to deal Bogosian out of Winnipeg. Granted this is a huge pipedream but what would you guys think of...?

Ericsson would be added for cap reasons. And considering the potential bottleneck of prospects in the coming years, I think we can afford to move Sproul out for someone a few years older with more NHL experience. Especially considering Ouellet is slowly making the jump and we still have Marchenko and Jensen. And with Jurco it's the same thing. We dont want to move Nyquist, Larkin or Mantha and to be honest, I would put Tatar on that "untouchable" list too, we would be stupid to move him. Pulkkinen is the other "prospect" I would offer up but with the right handed shot I would move Jurco first. So they get someone who can play now (Ericsson), Jurco who can slide into their foward lineup right now and still hasn't reached his potential yet and Sproul who can help them in the future. And as much as Byfuglien would be good for us, he's been too fantastic for them to be moved. And I've heard that they had alot of good defensmen and could be open to moving one of them.

Again, huge pipedream because I doubt Holland would do it, But our defense could look like this.

Kronwall - Bogosian
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Ouellet

I don't see them taking that deal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Jets are making a playoff push. No way they trade Big Buff unless it's for a HUGE package coming back the other way.

There's only a few teams in real sell mode right now and later. Jets are not one.

ClassicMach

Apr 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
All of our scraps and rejects for something amazing. Like a top 6 powerforward and/or top 4 RHD that can move the puck and score goals at will... and he must be big and mean/gritty/physical too.

Kindl, Andersson, Lashoff and one of Cleary or McCollum. Prefer not to give up any draft picks, but you can make your proposal to throw a few our way, could use a 2015 3rd rounder.

you want to trade 4 players who are not good enough to play in the NHL for a top 6 player?

ClassicMach

Apr 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN

Kronwall - Bogosian
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Ouellet

If holland gets a call for that trade and hesitates for 30 seconds he should be fired. That's a fleecing.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Kronwall - Bogosian
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Ouellet

What do you think Bogosian would bring to the Wings?

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Eh like I said, it's a pipedream. Like mentioned above the Jets are in a Playoff spot and will likely not move him. Not to mention basing on reactions we would need to add. I just want Bogo in a Wings sweater :cry:

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
If I had a choice of Bogo or Buff, I'd take Buff for this team. Big mean hitting right handed PP QB monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad