Red Wings at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Hi guys, I'm working on a piece about teams looking to be buyers at the deadline. The Wings are in a good position to make a move to boost their roster for a deep playoff push but what parts of your team do you think need the most improvement?

Also, which assets would you be willing to give up to acquire those new players?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
defense needs the most improvement. RHD who can play in top 4 and on the pp.

i wouldn't give up any top 9 roster player or top 4 defenseman. same with this is years first rounder, mantha and larkin. 2nd round picks, 4th liners or bottom pairing defenseman at best (andersson, kindl etc) and B prospects.

i'd be willing to give up anyone for a very good defenseman who is young and locked up but those won't be available so it's a moot point.

petry, zidlicky fit... RH and won't cost a ton. mike green is a pipedream and likely not happening.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
Hi guys, I'm working on a piece about teams looking to be buyers at the deadline. The Wings are in a good position to make a move to boost their roster for a deep playoff push but what parts of your team do you think need the most improvement?

Also, which assets would you be willing to give up to acquire those new players?

1) D, who shoots right and can chip in offensively.
2) D, who shoots right and can chip in offensively.
3) D, who shoots right and can chip in offensively.

Acquiring a player who fills those needs will cost us quite a bit. Teams are asking for Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan. I personally would trade Tatar over Nyquist or Sheahan, but I dont expect them to leave us. Larkin and Mantha seem to be untouchable.

Being the conservative GM he is, I dont expect Holland to give up any of those young roster players or high-end prospects, so the only deal I see happening is something similar to the Legwand trade last year.

Possible trade assets would be our 1st this year, maybe Pulkkinen (if they dont expect him to crack the roster next year), Backman, one of our D prospects in GR (Jensen/Marchenko/Sproul), Ferraro, Callahan.
On our current roster, I think Helm or Smith have a tradeable contract and value. (Kindl in a package-deal)

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Us Edmonton fans keep hearing Petry rumours for Detroit. Big RHD top four guy. His dad played there. Makes sense on a lot of levels. I'd prefer we kept him but our management are a bunch of idiots.

Fleece away. What would be a realistic offer for him? Some are saying a first rounder. That seem a bit high to me but I don't really know.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Us Edmonton fans keep hearing Petry rumours for Detroit. Big RHD top four guy. His dad played there. Makes sense on a lot of levels. I'd prefer we kept him but our management are a bunch of idiots.

Fleece away. What would be a realistic offer for him? Some are saying a first rounder. That seem a bit high to me but I don't really know.

2nd + ok prospect is the most i'd offer.

wouldn't trade that 1st.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
2nd + ok prospect is the most i'd offer.

wouldn't trade that 1st.

Kind of what I expect TBH and that's pretty fair considering what Boychuk and Leddy went for.

What if Edmonton say Petry for Jurco/Pulkinnen? I'd say no if I was Detroit but dare to ask right?

I also presume Mantha and Larkin are untouchable, or should be.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm willing to part with draft picks (1st included), Smith, and Pulkinnen without much hesitation if I feel like the defender coming back is quality and immediately improves the backend. Helm and Jurco are pieces I'm willing to listen on that should have some solid value. Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Larkin are guys that would need to be a bonafide "going to improve the offense, defense, and able to play against and with anyone" type defencemen.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Myers is another guy that seems to be linked to Detroit since, forever it seems. Have you guys heard anything on that front? Seems like Murray wants a king's ransom for him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Let me clarify myself though and say that I'm not suggesting offering Smith, Pulks, and 1st for a #4 guy.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Not that I'm saying he's available, but Tyson Barrie is someone you're looking for, right? What sort of prospects or players would you give up for someone of Barrie's value?

Then on the lower end of the spectrum, what about Stefan Elliott? Or Zach Redmond?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Kind of what I expect TBH and that's pretty fair considering what Boychuk and Leddy went for.

What if Edmonton say Petry for Jurco/Pulkinnen? I'd say no if I was Detroit but dare to ask right?

I also presume Mantha and Larkin are untouchable, or should be.

I can't fault you for asking for them. I also wouldn't be shocked if MacTavish makes that offer at some point during negotiations. I think Detroit is probably looking to move a 2nd + prospect, etc., but I am not sure that will get them what they are looking for.

I still think Petry and Zidlicky are the most likely targets, if only because I don't think any better defensemen will be moved.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Sekera is another guy out there too. I have to think you guys do something. With so many key D men being injured around the league, I think it has driven up prices a bit. I could be wrong though. An expiring UFA is still a risk.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I have a feeling it'll be Petry.

Well, the Edmonton media guys are all but saying it's a done deal. Just consistent rumours all season. Petry is from Detroit, impending UFA who should sign there if he's smart. Oilers "management" hasn't really offered anything to extend him. He's gone, and Detroit is the top of the list from what we hear.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Well, the Edmonton media guys are all but saying it's a done deal. Just consistent rumours all season. Petry is from Detroit, impending UFA who should sign there if he's smart. Oilers "management" hasn't really offered anything to extend him. He's gone, and Detroit is the top of the list from what we hear.

Can you provide some links from the EDM guys saying Petry to DET? I'd be interested to read them.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Petry is coming at summer for free. No reason to pay anything on the deadline.

Ryan Suter -like reasons.

The reason is because you give yourself a better chance this season. And for all we know, this season could end up being our best chance at making a run.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The reason is because you give yourself a better chance this season. And for all we know, this season could end up being our best chance at making a run.

Yeah Dats, Z, Kronner relatively healthy all year so far. Who knows if that ever happens again, plus they aren't getting any younger and Z already looks to be slowing down.

This might be our best chance to make a push. Not a great chance, but our best chance for the next few years.

What do you think it could be done for? A second and a decent prospect? I don't see any roster players being moved unless it's Kindl or MAYBE Smith. Thing is, doesn't Edmonton need a solid and reliable defense? Seems like they have offensive pieces out the wazoo. Why would you guys be trading one of your better d-men? Picks for more d-men? I dunno.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Zidlicky is a better fit for this year's team.

I could expect more offence from kids at next year and then add Petry to have stability.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zidlicky is a better fit for this year's team.

I could expect more offence from kids at next year and then add Petry to have stability.

I wonder if getting both is a possibility. Probably not just from the standpoint of market supply and demand, but in terms of our resources I think it could be worth looking into.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not that I'm saying he's available, but Tyson Barrie is someone you're looking for, right? What sort of prospects or players would you give up for someone of Barrie's value?

Then on the lower end of the spectrum, what about Stefan Elliott? Or Zach Redmond?

I am very high on Barrie, but I can't imagine that the Aves will part with him. They have the same general needs as the Wings which makes them bad trade partners. Elliot is an interesting choice. At one time I really expected him to establish himself as an NHL player. Holland probably sees him as a slightly more experienced Sproul...perhaps too duplicative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->